Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefrozenballs
Stranger
lotsa questions
    #1482426 - 04/22/03 12:56 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sorta new at this, sorta not.

Q1- When should I remove the cakes from the jars? Ive found conflicting data and Im not sure.

Q2- When the cakes are fruiting how much light should they be exposed to? The light should be direct light or indirect? Does the spectrum of light affect the cakes in any way? Should the light on/off cycle reflect fall light cycles?

Q3- What would be the result (aside from wasting a mushroom) if i took a whole mature mushroom, placed it in sterile water, blended, and then injected into prepared medium? By doing this I hope to eliminate the germination delay from straight spore, am I wrong?

Q4-I plan on doing an outdoor run with straw/manure. Ive found info online (this site) of how to do. What I did not find was answers to these: If Im using spores when should I seed the garden taking into account that i plan on harvesting in the fall, and the same question applies to using old cakes that have been already harvested.

I am at present running a series of experiments - feedback would be nice.

# 1-I have access to medical autoclave pouches. These pouches are the type that usually contain surgical instruments the have to be sterile. The come in a variety of sizes, the ones I am using are 5 1/4" x 11". I will post some pictures when I buy a camera. The pouches are clear plastic on one side, and a micro pore paper on the other side. The Clear side allows me to view the contents, the paper side allows air exchange. I spoke to the manufacturer and he assured me that air can pass (transpire) with out harmful microbes. What I am planning on doing with these pouches is filling with vermiculite/rice powder mixture, sealing the bags (self sealing), and placing in my pc (its 5 gal). I plan on either injecting with spores, or the blended mush room mixture (stick needle through bag). If and when the mixture is fully colonized I can simply tear the paper from the plastic (they are designed that way) and induce fruiting.

#2 - In an effort to reduce the time to fully colonize my jars I want to take a fully colonized cake of vermiculite/rice mixture, break it up and place some of the culture into virgin vermiculite/rice mixture 1/2 pint jars. Ive heard of grain-grain tansfers, and it should work with the vermiculite/rice mixture. Last nice I PC'd 120 jars (35 at a time), and they are half full of vermiculite/rice mixture, with no layer of dry vermiculite. Any one ever tried this technique?

In advance, thanks for the imput ppl.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOOOO
Stranger
Re: lotsa questions [Re: frozenballs]
    #1482457 - 04/22/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

A1. One more week after the surface has been completely colonized.

A2. Indirect sunlight is best. Just a few minutes a day are sufficient. Mushrooms like like in the blue range of the spectrum. Almost any light source will suffice.

A3. Contamination.

A4. You will not be using spores to inoculate the dung\straw patch, but grain or PF spawn. Harvest time will be anywhere from three weeks to five weeks after initiation of the spawn run. You should read more about this. Why do you want to grow outdoors? What sort of climate do you live in?

Experiment 1: Poking a hole in the bag will introduce contaminants.

Experiment 2: I have never tried this. It might work if you're able to do everything cleanly.

You should look into whole grains, bulk substrate, and casing.

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island
    #1482594 - 04/22/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I dont see why Q3 couldnt be pulled off... High risk of contams, yes, but i think it could be pulled off.... Any higher athorities wanna respond to that?

--------------------

Offlinemossie
curandero

Loc: dung street
Re: lotsa questions [Re: Floydseamus]
    #1483117 - 04/22/03 04:17 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

no man/woman is higher than another. f- authorities.
Q2.some strains need more light to pin sometimes 12 hours.
Q3.read up on cloning. a 5 dollar glovebox and a sharp knife is all you need. you could try that to see if theres an easier way but when you clone, you remove the outside part of the stem because it was exposed to air. all air is contaminated. done in a glovebox w/ clean air. you don't need a positive pressure or anything. just use a small clear sterilite container, spray w lysol, then let it settle for 8 hours before working. a mushroom stays alive that long after its picked if you put it in a baggie.
#2 g2g tranfers need a flowhood or else a really clean bathroom or enclosed area with every inch wiped down w lysol and a hepa unit maybe. thats alot of lysol damn that shits expensive so do alot of g2g at once if ya do it. a nice size glovebox would proly work also.

--------------------
Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. -proverbs 15:17

Edited by mossie (04/22/03 04:51 PM)

OfflineOOOO
Stranger
Re: lotsa questions [Re: mossie]
    #1483131 - 04/22/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"no man/woman is higher than another."

I don't know about that man. I was pretty high this weekend.

Offlinefrozenballs
Stranger
Re: lotsa questions [Re: Floydseamus]
    #1483359 - 04/22/03 05:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I thought of the contamination of the exterior of the mushroom, and what I decided to try was dipping the whole mushroom in a mild alcohol solution to kill any exterior bacterium. I am aware that this will kill some of the exterior of the mushroom as well as the spores. Actually, writing this just gave me an idea, take the cap make a spore print, and then dip the stem and then immerse in water to be blended. Why Im so gung ho on trying this is because it will allow me to do culture to culture transfers without the risk of contamination.

Anyone know anything about UV lighting and sterilization?

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island
    #1484723 - 04/22/03 11:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Excuse me, i mis worded that... Maybe someone more experienced could help more, or give another diagnosis.

--------------------

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
    #1484738 - 04/22/03 11:34 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

What substrate are you using in your jars? Vermiculite/Brown Rice Flower? You can easily use the mycelium you have from the cakes to colonize more. Ive cut up 1/2 of a brf cake, cut it into many small pieces, and innoculated 12 jars with it over the oven to keep the air risinig upwards, and contams out. 2 of them contaminated, the others were cool to a point (doing a transfer made me not need needle holes, therefor not having any way for air to exchange wich fucked me in the end(kinda))

Offlinemossie
curandero

Re: lotsa questions [Re: tak_old]
    #1488630 - 04/24/03 07:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

just was reading about cloning and its similair to what you said frozenballs. lol frozenballs. fruitbody cloning h2o2 and a blender

--------------------
Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. -proverbs 15:17

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1488662 - 04/24/03 07:54 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Q3- What would be the result (aside from wasting a mushroom) if i took a whole mature mushroom, placed it in sterile water, blended, and then injected into prepared medium? By doing this I hope to eliminate the germination delay from straight spore, am I wrong?

That's very hard because it's almost impossible to get a completley sterile mushroomn fruitbody. It would be better to take a non-mature then mature mushroom. But you have to take also in account that instead of germination delay you will get a delay from mycellium recovery after blending.
Good luck!

Offlinemossie
curandero

Re: lotsa questions [Re: zeronio]
    #1488670 - 04/24/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

invitro fruitbodys are usually sterile so clone a good invitro fruit :smile:

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1491724 - 04/25/03 12:34 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

frozenballs (are you from canada?? lol) there is a tek written up by a member here: take a stem and sterilize everything around you. take a knife and cut and peel the outside layer as if it were a banana (exactly like a banana) peel the outside layer all the way down and use the inside chunk that should be sterile bc of the clean air around you into the clean blender w/water and you will be set w/contam free jars.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract