Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethel0rax
Stranger
yet another newbie with yet more questions
    #1123013 - 12/08/02 10:37 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

heya.. I'm currently in the process of my first grow, and am using the PF Tek. I at first didn't want to even think about trying to case yet, because from what I hear it isn't very easy. Once I started thinking about how more efficient it would be, I decided that I would learn it. I have 18 1 pint jars and they are all growing perfectly with no contams.

I had some questions that I couldn't find directly addressed on here anywhere(I'm sure someone has answered them at some point, but I have dug, and I didn't find)..

First off.. I was wondering, with casings, where is the largest potential for contamination? At what point is it most vonurable?

Second, do certain casing mixtures get contaminated easier than others? I did one casing with one of the cakes as an experiment before posting this, and used peat moss + vermiculite.

and third, the case I used is 1 1/2 inches deep.. I know it was a little short, I wasn't thinking when I got it, but I decided to see what would happen, it is filled up exactly to the top.. I didn't have to skimp on anything, 1/2 inch perlite, bout 1/2 inch mycelium, 1/2 inch casing topping(approx). I'm just wondering if that is in any way bad though, because it's wrapped up right now and incubating, and there is no empty space between the top of the casing mixture and the top of the case.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated, and please, don't be too harsh on me if you think my questions are stupid. hehe

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: yet another newbie with yet more questions [Re: thel0rax]
    #1123034 - 12/08/02 10:43 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

I've never had a casing contaminate. I'd imagine the process of setting it up is most important. I boil my coco coir/vermiculite for 1 hour. After cooling I break it up onto my substrate. I believe in using plastic bags to break up the cakes. I just dump a cake in a bag, zip it up and break it up in the bag. Pour the cake mix directly into casing container, you never touch it, it's great! I don't know who started me on this, but I read it here.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

Offlinegompyre
Evil

Loc: In the Darkness
Re: yet another newbie with yet more questions [Re: thel0rax]
    #1123053 - 12/08/02 10:47 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Im still pretty new at growing, but I have done about 6 casings so far. I have just used vermiculite right out of the bag with no contam's so far. I just use PF jars then put damp vermiculite on bottom and top. I'm get ready to move to poo soon.

--------------------
Oh, no Tears Please -- It's a waste of Good Suffering.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: yet another newbie with yet more questions [Re: gompyre]
    #1123202 - 12/08/02 11:32 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Ive been debating using either peat, coco coir, or all vermiculite for my first casing...How is your yield gompyre? And how many jars do you case with...1/2pint...1 pint, or more?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinegompyre
Evil

Loc: In the Darkness
Re: yet another newbie with yet more questions [Re: PDU]
    #1123287 - 12/09/02 12:01 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Here is the link to the pictures I posted of my first casing. I got 3 flushs out of it, out of the 3 flushs I got about 160 grams wet using 1 and 1\2 pf cakes.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=1052394&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1052394&Search=true#Post1052394

--------------------
Oh, no Tears Please -- It's a waste of Good Suffering.

Offlinethel0rax
Stranger
Re: yet another newbie with yet more questions [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #1123288 - 12/09/02 12:02 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

yeah, that bag idea does sound like it would work.. I'll have to try that with my next casing..

I remembered one other question I have... I read in the FAQ about using calcium to balance the pH of the topping.. it said that it was a really good idea, and could potentially harm the mushrooms, but I was just wondering what people's personal experience with not using it was.. if it dramatically effected the growth or what.. any feedback?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation