SpiritualSnorkel said:
Wooden Spoon said:
SpiritualSnorkel said:
Comradez said: to investigate possible adult-onset ADHD.
You sat down and wrote out a post too long for most of the Pub to be bothered with reading.
I think you'll be all right with your ADHD.
P.S. Stop giving your money to/putting your faith in quacks and frauds.
Wow doctor! you sure are good at diagnosing ADHD over the interweb!
i found this very interesting actually and i hope you keep us updated on what you talk about in your next session.
The question to me isn't whether he has ADHD, by some psychiatrist's definition, or not. It's irrelevant to me. If they prescribe him the drugs then the Doc is one step closer to that GlaxoSmithKline fruit basket or all-expenses-paid vacation to some conference in Vegas, and the guy will be stunted in whatever area he's having trouble in for the duration of the time he takes them. If you can't concentrate then change your lifestyle, exercise some old fashioned self-discipline. Enough with these fucking inventions of modern psychiatry, seriously.
Sounds like you also willfully and lovingly give your money and time to hacks who don't know shit about anything and love every minute of it. Good for you.
You are incredibly cynical about the entire psychiatry industry. I am too. For example, based on the information I have so far, SSRIs appear to me to be an absolute scam that I would never even try. The same thing goes for doctors prescribing nasty atypical antipsychotics like Seroquel as fucking SLEEP AIDS or for anything other than acute psychotic episodes. But nobody would go to psychiatry at all, or take its drugs, if it didn't actually benefit people at least some of the time. For instance, Adderall XR is a drug that WORKS. It does exactly what it says it's going to do. The risks are significant, but they are upfront and can be mitigated with intelligent use. That is my personal experience, and my personal opinion.
Part of what this going to this psychologist is about is that I don't want to have to break the law (or put friends in legal risk for supplying me). Yes, I'm compromising with The System. I'm willing to fatten the coffers of Big Pharma ever so slightly in order to obtain personal help. How is that any different from getting a marijuana card and fattening the coffers of a dispensary (many of whose owners likewise appear to be of dubious ethical intent, judging from their voting no on Prop19 last election)? Oh wait, I forgot, some drugs are good, and some drugs are evil. That's not how it works. (Except for SSRIs. I'd like to reserve a special place in hell for the people who push those while knowing full-well that they don't outperform placebo while also saddling people with very real and very awful side effects and chemical dependency.)
Any drug can be abused. Just because certain meth-heads abuse amphetamines doesn't mean that I will. And do they "stunt" one's emotional growth? Maybe when given to developing children.
One day I hope to have, once again, the strength of will, focus, and self-discipline to do everything I want to do, and everything I need to do, without any sort of drugs. But I've been trying that, and lately I've been failing at it. Either I continue failing at it, with the consolation that I get to feel a false sense of moral superiority and strength for not having achieved the failure all by myself without the help of any drugs, or I can take a little help for the meantime.
As for just "manning-up" and exercising some self-discipline...isn't it a bit like telling a person with a broken leg to just "man-up" and deal with the pain without opiates? I'm just supposed to overcome the CONSTANT and OVERPOWERING feeling of, "I HATE THIS, I HATE THIS, I HATE THIS, I WANT TO BE DOING SOMETHING ELSE, I WANT TO BE DOING SOMETHING ELSE, I WANT TO BE DOING SOMETHING ELSE..." every time I'm working on something that I SHOULD be getting satisfaction from, and that would greatly benefit me? I've been trying, and last semester I failed.
Now, like taking opiates for a broken leg, I'm not content with taking ADHD medication forever. It would just help me to take them long enough to survive in my career while I figure out what the fuck my broken leg is. Until I re-learn self-discipline, and figure out how I lost it in the first place.
I have a strong feeling that it has a lot to do with Civilization IV (no joke). In the same way that people will say, "Me and cocaine had some good times." I'd say that "Me and Civilization IV had some good times." It was too good. For several years, it was an addiction by any other name. It is a wonder I finished Harvard. There was one span of playing it where I started a game of it on a Thursday night, stayed up all night, went to class Friday morning, came back and resumed playing it, and stayed up straight playing it all the way to Sunday morning, at which point I crashed for the rest of the day until Monday morning. It was, looking back, a cheap dopamine high that re-oriented my reward pathways around something that gave me no long-term benefit in life. What I hope to do with ADHD medication is possibly re-train my brain to associate reward with activities like school work--stuff that will actually benefit me long-term in life--by doing school work while I am under the influence of the ADHD medication. It has seemed to incrementally work the few times I have tried this with my friend's illicitly diverted medication. One aspect of my going to this psychologist is that I would like to try this legally. If it doesn't work, or if it starts trying to lead me down a different path that I don't want to go on (like, addiction to the ADHD medication itself), I'll be the first person to say, "Oh shit, not this again..." Because I know what even seemingly-innocuous cheap dopamine highs like Civ4 can do to me, how they can almost wreck my life. I don't want to go through that again. That's also why I really hope I can get the extended-release version of whatever I end up getting prescribed (assuming that my psychologist concludes in favor of an ADHD diagnosis), because I have found them to be less prone to abuse and addictive tendencies. But she may very well conclude that I have depression or something and try to get me to take SSRIs, in which case I'll have to politely decline.
--------------------
They say that life's a carousel / Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well / The world is full of kings and queens / Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams / It's heaven and hell - Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
|