Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant
    #14628231 -



... Darren Aronofsky too, of course :wink: 

If you were wondering, Clint Mansell composed the scores for Requiem for a Dream, Pi, and The Fountain; the music in the preview at the top of the post is his, of course.

A few days ago someone told me that Clint Mansell had/has a band called something like 'Pop Will Eat Itself' that I'm about to check out.  Anyone familiar with it?  I'm also curious as to how many other people have film scores (Requiem, The Matrix, etc.) - or songs from them - on your mobile devices. Is it niche to be into film scores? 

I basically see film soundtracks as a waste of money; it's the score that not only reminds me of the movie, but also is go much more meticulously planned . . . and often mesmerizing. Soundtracks usually sound like bad mix tapes my friends used to give me back when there was such a thing as a mix tape.  I'm not out to bash all soundtracks, just to be clear; there have been a few that have kept me company over the years.  One has to admit that the score has the power to make or break its film, though, and for good reason.

---------

A heredity clergy is an especially good idea, as it tends to eliminate any hereditary propensity towards fanaticism. - Carl Sagan

Edited by the spiral (06/17/11 02:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: the spiral]
    #14628317 -

The Fountain is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.

The music was just pure :feelsgoodman:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: Newlord]
    #14628329 -

I suggest everyone watch it in whatever way you can.



--------------------

Edited by Newlord (06/17/11 01:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: Newlord]
    #14628372 -

Never seen The Fountain. Looks like a pretty cool movie though. I'll have to check it out.

Clint Mansell is definitely good at what he does. I first heard of him when I saw Requiem for a Dream.
If you guys like Mansell you will probably like Phillip Glass as well. Glass is not quite as dark, but still composes great orchestral pieces.


--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #14628410 -

Thanks for the tip Rabidbaboon- ive heard of Phillip Glass before and think I have heard some of his stuff but I don't remember really anything about it, so I'll be checking him out (again).


--------------------


"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: the spiral]
    #14628681 -

I'm a film score fan, so you're not alone.  Mansell's one of the best.  Glass is awesome, too (I recommend "Koyaanisqatsi" first and foremost).


--------------------
:mushroom2: Tips for a good trip :mushroom2:


drink me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: mundane]
    #14628777 -

Fairly different in style, but Yann Tiersen and Jon Brion are also some of my favorite modern composers.


--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #14628789 -

The Fountain is indeed incredible. Took me a long time to piece it together. Need to watch it again soon.


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: the spiral]
    #14628808 -

the spiral said:
Is it niche to be into film scores? 






Film scores were the first type of music I actively listened to. I have a lot of the old John Williams scores from the seventies and eighties that I would listen to as a kid while I was writing cheap little rip-off stories.

My all time favorite film composer though will always be the great Jerry Goldsmith.  :soundsgoodman:


--------------------



"That's the vernacular, isn't it?" --Mrs. Peel

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: the_drummer]
    #14632627 -

you should check out jon brion, it's not the same thing but he writes good scores.


Also these guys could write the score for any film.


--------------------
I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death is the Road to Awe; Clint Mansell is Genuinely Brilliant [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #14632803 -

I think Clint Mansell also did the score for the movie Moon, too. I could be wrong though. Good stuff:thumbup:


--------------------


I am the storm. I am the wonder.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Darren Aronofsky/Clint Mansell/The Fountain & Requiem Film Scores the spiral 260 0 10/22/11 11:25 PM
by the spiral
* golden road to unlimited devotion live nightkrawler 2,356 17 07/11/05 10:28 AM
by PlasticFantastic
* Uplifting poems about death?
( 1 2 all )
theocean06 13,706 22 03/24/16 06:00 PM
by donald3322
* What's your closest encounter with death?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
YouEnjoyMyself 9,820 69 02/19/08 09:21 PM
by C20H25N3O
* Estimated 150,000+ people dead, 5,000,000 homeless
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
Sinbad 27,354 144 01/05/05 10:27 PM
by usefulidiot
* Near death experiences Bi0TeK 823 18 06/16/05 11:01 PM
by Deadmaker
* Jimi Hendrix and Eric Burton (w/War) - "Tobacco Road" (last Hendrix live performance ever) (mp3) LearyfanS 1,595 2 10/14/05 01:09 AM
by day_tripper
* Fellow Americans - Police Road Blocks - Mandatory Searches?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Silven 11,641 80 11/25/04 08:05 PM
by Prisoner#1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
728 topic views. 0 members, 8 guests and 78 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.