Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
Question about bacteria contam in grains
    #1461691 - 04/15/03 09:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Can bacteria contaminate grains at any time? My friend has this chinchilla who colonized some grain. He colonized 3 pints of rye then spawned them into bags with a quart each of WBS. Now, the WBS he said was sterilized and sat for over a week in the jars before being added to bags. This was to make sure that no nasties were developing. When the colonized rye was added to the WBS, it was done in a sterilized glove box. Pin holes were poked and the bags were incubated at around 85 degrees.

Now my friend tells me that the bags stopped colonizing. 2 of them actually retracted and the mycellium nearly died off. The third is about 95% done but won't colonize that last 5%. He said these grains looked fine up until now. Is it possible that bacteria got in through the pinholes? There were no visible signs of mold and the WBS did not look excessively wet. He said it did smell a lil funky though. The chinchilla told me friend that he is weary about this bag tek now.

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinearabmobster

Loc: Palestine
Re: Question about bacteria contam in grains [Re: robinhood2]
    #1461715 - 04/15/03 09:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

that hapend to me also
mine sort of turned funky and turned llike play do
i used rye

Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: Question about bacteria contam in grains [Re: arabmobster]
    #1465009 - 04/16/03 09:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry to bump this, but I know someone's got to have some advice on this problem. I know this is more than just a simple newbie question, but don't some people have experience with the bag tek?

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Anonymous

#1465019 - 04/16/03 09:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sounds like bacteria. i've had bacterial problems with rye. i only use millet now. yes, bacteria can and probably did get in through those holes. all air coming in contact with uncolonized substrate must first go through some kind of contamination barrier, be it polyfil, tyvek, or a verm barrier. just having open holes like that for bacterica-laden air to come in is asking for bacterial contamination, which sounds like is what happened to you.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
    #1465029 - 04/16/03 09:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Did it stop because of lack of air exchange? and if you didnt cover the holes with something (tyvek, poly-fil, whatever) then there is a risk. Are you sure your glove box was safe? lots of things could ave gone wrong, thats life.

Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: Question about bacteria contam in grains [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1465060 - 04/16/03 09:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well I'm surprised no one said this about "eatyualive's lazy mofo bag tek." I had my suspicions about poking pin holes in the bag without a filter, but eatyualive says he does this and all he does is rave about the results. The pics of his harvests are insane. I don't understand how the guy does this w/out getting contams. I'm gonna tell the chinchilla that if he tries it again he better use autoclave bags with filters and not ziplocs.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1465084 - 04/16/03 09:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

correct me if i'm wrong here but i thought that that tek used pasteurized bulk substrate, not sterilized grain. pasteurized bulk substrate is nowhere near as susceptable to contamination as sterilized grain is.

Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: Question about bacteria contam in grains [Re: ]
    #1465132 - 04/16/03 09:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Nope, actually the tek uses PF jars....but I read somewhere that he was using WBS too....maybe on nansnook. Anyway here's the tek:

Lazy Mofo Bag Tek

--------------------

Anonymous

#1465141 - 04/16/03 09:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yep.

yeah, definitely dirty. success requires that the mycelium run through the substrate before contamination takes hold.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation