Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Relevance of the Ten Commandments
    #14585508 -

I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, you shall have no other gods before me.
Um, no. I was NOT released as a slave from Egypt. How is this germane to my life?

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Can I still watch American Idol?

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
So I should modify the behavior of my grandparents? :confused:


--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (06/09/11 06:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14585531 -

11 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.
Can you clarify? As Jesus Christ was not around at the time the tablets were written, nor was his name pronounced CHE-ZUS KRIST, is it OK to blurt that out when I hit my thumb with a hammer?

Observe the sabbath day and keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you.
For six days you shall labour and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, or your son or your daughter, or your male or female slave, or your ox or your donkey, or any of your livestock, or the resident alien in your towns, so that your male and female slave may rest as well as you.

Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the sabbath day.

By work, do you mean work in the sense of physics - such as any movement whatsoever; or do you mean work as in doing something that is not fun?

I keep trying to remember that I was an Egyptian slave, but I got nothing. Do you suggest hypnotherapy?


--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (06/09/11 06:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14585570 -

Quote:
16 Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, so that your days may be long and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.



I don't see the connection to longevity nor to prosperity, but if I get the gist of this, I should be nice to get a reward, right?

Quote:
You shall not kill/murder.



As an atheist, I agree, but my Christian brethren have a thousand ways to legally circumvent this one. (See: Iraq War).

Quote:
Neither shall you commit adultery.



Unless you hold high political office or run a church?

Neither shall you steal.
OK, that one is pretty straightforward. (See: software piracy)

Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor.
Waht about during election time? That must call for a suspension.

Neither shall you covet your neighbor’s wife. Neither shall you desire your neighbor’s house, or field, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Coveting: bad; slaveholding: good! Got it. :wink:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14587037 -

Your just taking it out of context man!


--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: 4896744]
    #14587039 -

I'll bet this guy has an inferiority complex.  A huge truck in the driveway and a tiny dick in his pants.

:eyeroll:

I think my roommates are fucking each other.


--------------------
you just need money to get laid - starfire_xes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: Tri High]
    #14587255 -

Quote:
punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.



God has basic math problems?


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14587294 -

"Thou shall not kill"

The original text is “Ratsach” (Hebrew for murder)

Many make the distinction between killing someone and murdering someone. I have meet Christians believe it wrong under any circumstance


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #14587342 -

Yet in the OT god directed his chosen people to kill.  Why is it again that anyone wants to follow this god? This petty jealous god that has worse emotional problems than the humans he supposedly created. :satansmoking:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: Icelander]
    #14587371 -

:crazy:Stop it Ice....you are trying to hook me


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #14587437 -

Not really, seriously.

I was brought up a Christian and have seen the damage it can do to humans.  I respond this way no matter who is posting as I'm trying to point out the logical flaws in this belief system.  Most people are programmed into it as children and those that manage to break free have a hard time convincing these programs to let go. I speak here from experience. I'm doing what I can to help.  Some people helped me at one time and I'm returning the favor.  You get to believe whatever you want and more power to you. I'm posting for those that want to be free of it or who are at least considering alternatives.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14587605 -

For six days you shall labour and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work

I saw some video a while back where a total nutjob jew was being interviewed who was neurotic about keeping the sabbath. The guy was such a basket case that he invented all sorts of contraptions to do work for him on the sabbath so he wouldn't have to.

Examples included a telephone that was dialed with an air hose that would blow air on the buttons to dial the call. This way, he didn't actually touch the phone and so could make calls without violating the sabbath.

He also had a bizarre oven contraption where he could rig up a turkey the day before and sit it on a conveyor belt thing with a spring to close the oven door. Then the whole thing was triggered when he sat down on his easy chair on the sabbath. His butt pushed a lever that started the whole thing running to push the turkey in the oven, close the door and set the temperature.

Then when the time was up, he could stand up and another mechanism would open the oven and slide out the turkey so he could eat without doing any work.

I mean it was the kind of shit that would get you locked up in a mental institution if it wasn't under the guise of religion.

Check out the movie Religulous for other absurdities that would be funny if they weren't so depressing.


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: Icelander]
    #14587659 -

Sorry to hear about your rough upbringing......



I do believe there is a distinction between murder and killing.

I am completely justified in defending my own life (like held at gunpoint in a home invasion) from be taken, or my families....this of course is a last resort. I would not try to kill someone in this instance, but if they happen to die because of it, I would not consider it murder.


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: Diploid]
    #14587688 -

My favorite part was when Bill was  talking to that Muslim musican that advocated the hatered of Jews....I was nuttsy coo coo.


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #14587699 -

I am completely justified in defending my own life

What happened to turning the other cheek and all that?


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: Diploid]
    #14587864 -

Diploid said:
I am completely justified in defending my own life

What happened to turning the other cheek and all that?



Exactly, it's not like you are going to cease to exist once dead. You will be in heaven with God.


--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: 4896744]
    #14587870 -

Death anxiety rears it's ugly head.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #14587927 -

SirTripAlot said:
My favorite part was when Bill was  talking to that Muslim musican that advocated the hatered of Jews....I was nuttsy coo coo.



My favorite part was when my brother got all butthurt and said that Bill had obviously picked extraordinarily stupid people to interview.

I had a legitimate :lol: at his expense...which just made him madder.  :shrug:


--------------------
What's up everybody?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: Diploid]
    #14587960 -

Diploid said:
I am completely justified in defending my own life

What happened to turning the other cheek and all that?




Turning the other cheek  wont get you murdered... just a punch


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #14587992 -

He ducks, he swerves, etc.


--------------------
What's up everybody?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Relevance of the Ten Commandments [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #14588010 -

SirTripAlot said:
Diploid said:
I am completely justified in defending my own life

What happened to turning the other cheek and all that?




Turning the other cheek  wont get you murdered... just a punch




Try it in a war zone.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The Ten Commandments
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Swami 2,126 60 12/03/04 03:18 PM
by Cyber
* The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....?
( 1 2 all )
PhanTomCat 1,621 24 02/12/05 12:50 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Ten Commandments (Revised) schmutzen 1,000 11 02/28/04 10:22 PM
by NariusFractal
* Ten Commandments Phred 581 1 03/15/05 12:35 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* My predicament with "THE 10 Commandments"
( 1 2 all )
PsillyNilly 1,587 34 02/01/05 10:56 AM
by JCoke
* thou shalt not take the lords name in vane Dreamer987 3,390 15 04/12/04 05:40 AM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Enerald Tablets of Thoth - TABLET VII: The Seven Lords Rudra 535 1 06/06/05 06:42 PM
by Icelander
* Jesus as the lord of mushrooms Jalruza 6,974 19 08/22/06 09:11 AM
by fireworks_god

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,561 topic views. 2 members, 1 guests and 33 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.