Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Too much Tyvek?
    #14174480 -

Hey guys,

If I did WBS jars with tyvek under the lid and a patch of tyvek over the drilled hole on the outside of the lid, is that too much? Will that restrict GE too much for colonization? Ie: is two layers of tyvek too much?


--------------------
"The Tragedy in life is not that we die, but what dies within us as we live...."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: Landslide]
    #14174490 -

no slot of ppl recommend using 2..i myself only use one and have no problems.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: Landslide]
    #14174658 -

Probably ok but sounds like a suboptimal design to me.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: biologys]
    #14174672 -

RR said that tyvek's pores open when it is PCd therefore making it less beneficial in keeping out contams. Tyvek isn't made for high temperature applications like filter disks are and filter disks are re-usable, you can even take a SFD patch off of a lid you made, clean off the RTV and then use it for another lid. The only downside is that you can't get them wet like tyvek. You should just get some SFDs and high temp RTV to attach a piece over your GE hole and try not to get them wet. JMHO

todlow said:
Put your SFD ON TOP of your lid




:bigyesnod: I always cut my filters to fit my GE hole then permanently adhere the to the TOP of my lid w/ RTV:


I wipe off the left over myc and grain on the under side of the lid, put on a new jar filled w/ grain & PC.

NO reason to re-do anything.  Also, with this lid design, you don't need to put foil over your lids when you PC them. Since I stopped putting foil on my lids, I have less condensation on them when I take them outta the PC 12 hours later.




--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: Doc_T]
    #14174715 -

Doc_T said:
Probably ok but sounds like a suboptimal design to me.



I agree.... I made the lids from one Tek, and prepared the WBS from another tek and that is what I ended up with. Hence my concern.

I guess I'll scrap off the external tyvek patch for now, and order some filter disks or whatman filters for the next batch.

Thanks guys!


--------------------
"The Tragedy in life is not that we die, but what dies within us as we live...."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: Landslide]
    #14174732 -

Personally, I prefer polyfil.
It's cheap, it's local, it works great. :thumbup:
Add an RTV port if you're doing injections, the polyfil puff alone is perfect for g2g lids.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: Doc_T]
    #14174757 -

Polyfil won't keep out micro organisms like SFDs though. I agree with you though Doc_T polyfil works, so far at least, knock on wood, I have 11 rye jars colonizing right now with polyfil stuffed GE holes. I just tried to get it in there as tight as possible and cut the excess off. They are around 80% with no contams yet, *crosses fingers*.


--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #14174943 -

You don't really want it that tight, just fold it up and pull it through so it stays in place by itself.
You aren't trying to close off the air space, there's no need. The chaotic path formed by the fibers traps airborne contams.

Agreed the discs are better in some theoretical sense, but it's not relevant to home hobbyists since we toss contaminated jars right away.
For a large commercial grower, the risk analysis leans toward the discs.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: Doc_T]
    #14175189 -

13shrooms said:
While polyfill and tyvek are OK for GE they are not filters for anything thats why I use synthetic filter discs or Whatman filters.
poly and tyvek are way to porus to stop any contam of any kind period.:strokebeard:



SFDs stop anything down to .3 microns and allow gas exchange. :super:
They last forever as long as you dont puncture or cut them and my contam rate for my jars is ZERO since I made the move to SFDs. :mushroom2:

If poly/tyvek works for you then thats fine but I would rather not chance it with pure luck. :shrug2:

Polyfill is good for monotubs or FCs with FAE holes where you use it to adjust your FAE and humidity not a contam barrier. 
You can pack it tight to hold your Rh or loosin it up to allow for more GE/FAE.
The whole point of poly is its an adjuster for Rh/FAE in FCs.

Tyvek of any kind is garbage IMO.:tongue:
Its used the same way as polyfill but it is not adjustable and is used mostly for jars.
Its ok if thats all you can find but its not optimal in any way.:smirk:


Ive used other methods that will work but not with the consistancy of SFDs.:stoned:

G2G Jar lid prep;

3 - 1/8" holes with disc on lid inside threaded lid ring.







works great on 1/2 pints also :thumbup:


So if you live in a hundred year old moldy house or moldy environment like I do, it makes all the difference in the world for your success in colonizing Jars. :sun:

:scaryshroom::thumbup:





Look at the first pic of the book in they quote and you will understand why polyfil can't trap all micro organisms, I am not saying that it wont work, but something could pass through it so you are taking a chance. If you don't have whatmans or SFDs it is probably the best alternative. My only concern is getting my SFD wet, so I was thinking of taking some free envelope tyvek and RTVing it to the inside of the GE hole to protect my SFD while shaking. But if the jar is properly PCd and contam free would the SFD being damp on the inside a little even make a difference?
:shrug:


--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #14175236 -

You're missing how the polyfil works. Any contams that touch the poly stick there harmlessly.
There's some path a contam could take sneaking through spaces to get into the jar... but they'll all get caught on the way.

I don't see the point of tyvek at all. Your discs won't get wet from shaking a jar of grain.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Too much Tyvek? [Re: Doc_T]
    #14175282 -

As I have stated before I have made 100+ 1L jars with polyfil lids.

I have not had a single issue, not one contamination due to using
polyfil as a filter.

I recently have gotten my hands on a good amount of filter discs so
I have been using those recently with the same results.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* // lexmark 545 2 01/19/08 11:41 AM
by galadar
* Tyvek vs Polyfil daimyo 1,935 11 03/17/05 06:04 AM
by Roadkill
* Tyvek or polyfil ChinaBoy 1,575 10 11/18/06 04:18 AM
by FungusMan
* Postal Tyvek Vs. Polyfill: MUCH FASTER with right technique
( 1 2 all )
lemunhed 6,319 26 06/05/06 07:16 PM
by EquilibriuM
* TYVEK OR POLYFILL Damion5050 1,469 9 09/06/08 08:48 AM
by Hattori Hanzo
* Double Tub - Tyvek VS Polyfil SoulSuuckinJERK 947 5 12/20/05 06:27 PM
by Tweexican
* Where to get tyvek and polyfill? BMArts 2,732 10 01/14/06 09:50 PM
by agar
* A Q? about Tyvek and Polyfill PimpDizzleNerd 734 6 11/03/05 05:03 PM
by FooMan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
799 topic views. 7 members, 288 guests and 155 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.