Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethrice
Stranger

How effective are hepas?
    #1416765 - 03/29/03 01:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

How effective is it really to run a hepa in a 15x15 room? Does it virtually eliminate all contam problems? I mean everytime you walk into that room to fan; your letting more contams in.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How effective are hepas? [Re: thrice]
    #1416916 - 03/29/03 04:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

it can help tremendously if used with a fair amount of common sense
at least thats what kramer says

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinethrice
Stranger

Re: How effective are hepas? [Re: george castanza]
    #1416935 - 03/29/03 04:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Does just running it in a room help or do most hook it up directly to a grow chamber or something? Thanks for help.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #1416955 - 03/29/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yes running it in "the"room 24/7 does most of the work
when you go in the room close the door and wait a while for the air to clean.
every time you go in the room take notice of what you have on and where it has been since it was laundered.
basically when you go in the room use common sense and bring in as few cantaminations as possible.

at least thats what kramer says:)

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1417087 - 03/29/03 06:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It depends on the Hepa.  :smirk:

Most little rinky dink counter top one's are junk. They don't have the filter size or CFM to do a good job. Plus, most of the filters are not sealed in well. Meaning about from 1/10th to 1/4 of the air that goes through it, is UNFILTERED. :frown:

The room size HoneyWell hepa's in the $250 to $300 range are good. But not that good for the $$$. Simply because if you are frugal & handy, you can build one 10 X better, that will also serve as a handy dandy flow laminar hood. :laugh:

My foaf built one & used a 1000 CFM squirrel cage fan out of a furnace. Pre/filters are flat automotive engine air filters on a thin plywood panel. Those auto filters are around 99% efficant.

Then a set of adjustable louvers was placed behind the pre/filters, then the SQC fan, then a nuclear grade hepa 24 X 24 X 12 filter rated at .006 micron penetration @ 1000 CFM.

Meaning, it can be choked down to around 100 CFM ..for use as a laminar flow hood.... or cranked open & run full blast at 1000 CFM, by turning a knob & opening the internal louvers to allow full air passage & clean the whole room --- QUICKLY.

Frame was 2 X 2's & skin was white formica laminate kitchen type paneling (light & easy to clean).

Unit is 24.5 X 24.5 X 36............. without the front face flow hood attached. Which adds another 20 inches.

My foaf didn't keep track of the cost, but it was around $200, total for the parts. Hepa was purchased off eBay, SQC fan bought used from a furnace repair place, the automotice pre/filters from an auto parts store & the building material from Home Depot. Sumbitch works like a charm. :laugh: :grin:

The caviat to all that is...... even a filter as good as this does little good in a dirty room, or funky surroundings. :mad:

For it to realy work----WELL. You need to make a quasi/clean room. As in double door a space & cover the floor, walls & ceiling with plastic to seal out contam's.

Even then, you have to be smart about it. Keep a pair of CLEAN comfy slip on shoes at the door, as well as a tyvek type CLEAN set of light weight cover/alls at the entry, as well as cover your hair with a shower or surgery cap & spay down with lysol every time you enter.

If you want to go to all that trouble & have the space. You have a quasi/clean room to work with agar, prints & G2G tranfers in. Hell, good lights, a comfy chair & work table, a sterio, an ice cold six pack, file cabinets & you are in like Flynn.

A good test is IF you have one of those handy dandy 500,000 to 1,000,000 candle power flood or flash lights. Is to seal the room, run the filter for 30 to 45 minutes, then shut the lights off (so it's pitch black inside the room) & turn on the spot light. If you can see ANY PARTICULATES floating around in the air............. the filter is not doing it's job.

If you see NONE, it is. :grin:

It's all a pita.  :crazy: But, once done..........it's SWEET.

6T  :wink: :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation