Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepleasesmokemarijuana
Blackface.

Loc: Ontario
Hunting in Ontario
    #1372964 - 03/13/03 02:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm thinking about going out soon, I would like to know when and in what types of places I should look. Also, I've researched each type of psychoactive mushroom that grows wildly in Ontario but would also like to research the poisonous one's that grow wild in Ontario as well if anyone can help me out with that.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting in Ontario [Re: pleasesmokemarijuana]
    #1373470 - 03/13/03 06:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Any reasonable field guide should include a section on mushroom poisoning and the responsible species.

Since you mention psychoactive species, you need to learn about genera which can be confused easily with those containing active ones.

Galerina is probably the biggest worry. There are several species in this genus which can be deadly if eaten. Spore prints will help you steer clear of these. Galerinas have ochre-brown (yellowish brown) to cinnamon brown to rusty colored spore prints.

I don't know if you're considering Amanita among the active mushrooms. If you are, please avoid eating them until you've been hunting for a few years. Amanitas are responsible for more deaths than any other genus of mushrooms. Before you consider eating an Amanita species you should have collected it several times and had your identification confirmed by a local expert. Before you hunt mushrooms to eat (including to get off) you should be able to identify an Amanita to genus so that you can avoid them.

Beyond that, this is a topic about which many books have been written. If you don't already have one, invest in a good field guide which covers your area, and read the entire book. Study it. Knowledge and caution will keep you out of the emergency room. The best rule for all mushroom hunters who are considering eating their find is, "if in doubt, throw it out." If you can't tell me exactly how you know what species that mushroom is (and how you know it isn't that other species) then you don't know well enough to eat it. Matching to photographs is a poor way to make IDs. While photographs can be helpful for confirming or contradicting an ID, they often lead to tragic errors.

The overall best way to learn your local species is to find somebody locally who has been hunting mushrooms for awhile. They will be able to help you learn the things you need to know for your area faster than any other way I know. Don't be afraid to ask them how they know what kind of mushroom it is. If they can't answer the question in a way that inspires confidence, then they may know less than it seems. Verify IDs yourself, so that you learn better how to use your field guide.

Good luck, and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Blackface.

Re: Hunting in Ontario [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1373493 - 03/13/03 06:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you :grin:

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Loc: N America
Re: Hunting in Ontario [Re: pleasesmokemarijuana]
    #1374595 - 03/14/03 05:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Depending on where you are in Ontario, I'd love to go out for PAnn.Subbs. this summer...
I'm between Toronto and Niagara Falls.
Have you hunted before? Drive? :grin: 

--------------------
We are the counter-culturaly elite...

Blackface.

Re: Hunting in Ontario [Re: moorhsum]
    #1375713 - 03/14/03 11:27 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I am getting my G2 in a few months so i'll be able to drive, I live about 3 hours from toronto. :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification