Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: Maine Teachers Warned! [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1348379 -

Okay, Pinky and Innvertigo, I stand corrected. Had I read more carefully, I'd have realized they're talking about younger students. Given that, I pretty much agree with pretty much all you're saying.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Maine Teachers Warned! [Re: snark]
    #1348396 -

no prob...


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Main Teachers Warned! [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1348689 -

Quote:
teachers are hired to teach, not promote their beliefs either way. That's why we have a lot of slow people from public schools.

after work they are more than welcomed to express whatever they feel



The main reason I've decided on my course of education is so that one I'm licensed as a teacher I can bring students opinions in to accordance with my own.


--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Maine Teachers Warned! [Re: snark]
    #1348731 -

I do think that "student teaching" comprises too small a part of the education curriculum. One needs lots of supervised experience in the classroom, before going solo.

I agree. For the younger ages especially.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Maine Teachers Warned! [Re: Phluck]
    #1348775 -

Quote:
Is their parents view of the world somehow better than their teacher's view? They should be taught all viewpoints.

Are you just objecting to their teaching the kids a viewpoint because you disagree with it? If a teacher in Nazi Germany explained to his students that persecuting jews was wrong, would you be against that?



I think since we'd always be running certain odds of whether the teachers are "on our side" or not (not to mention other philosophical glitches), I say we should always strive for the idea of the first paragragh, while avoiding altogether the idea of the second paragraph. Or try to--true unbias is no easy thing for the average human.

It's a little bit like your fair newsreporting thread--the best teachers are those who present a broad, even-handed view of something and get the students to talk/think about it.

hongomon


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Main Teachers Warned! [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1349019 -

Quote:
The main reason I've decided on my course of education is so that one I'm licensed as a teacher I can bring students opinions in to accordance with my own.



that's the wrong reason unless you are teaching history. If you're teaching math then you see my point.

besides will you be teaching elementary children?


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Main Teachers Warned! [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1349418 -

Quote:
Quote:
The main reason I've decided on my course of education is so that one I'm licensed as a teacher I can bring students opinions in to accordance with my own.



that's the wrong reason unless you are teaching history. If you're teaching math then you see my point.

besides will you be teaching elementary children?



I'm strong in the sciences, physics and organic chem, but teaching science isn't for me, I would't really enjoy it. I'll be doing history and govt in high school. I wouldn't touch elementary school, I'm no babysitter.


--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Main Teachers Warned! [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1349591 -

Quote:
that's the wrong reason unless you are teaching history. If you're teaching math then you see my point.




History teachers are the ones most likely to present biased views, and are the ones who should not under any cicumstances. The reason for this being that stundents in a history class are there to learn history and draw their own conclusion, plain and simple. I had a teacher for US History who would always insert subtle anti-Republican rhetoric. I knew when she did this, but I couldn't argue with her because I only had half the details. And the rest of the details, which would prove her wrong, were withheld by her.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Main Teachers Warned! [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1349861 -

Quote:
I'll be doing history and govt in high school. I wouldn't touch elementary school, I'm no babysitter.




as long as you teach objectivly i'd have no problem but teaching by editorial comments is not only bad for the education of the kids but is just sloppy teaching. Anyone that has taken a debate class or a speech class knows (not saying you don't) knows that in order to make an educated decision both sides should be presented. If a teacher does not want to present both sides then the topic should not be discussed.

Besides teachers should just follow the syllabus that the board of education approves (which is a scary thought).


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Main Teachers Warned! [Re: Anonymous]
    #1349868 -

Quote:
History teachers are the ones most likely to present biased views, and are the ones who should not under any cicumstances



You're right, i meant to say if they teach objectivly. see above post.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Main Teachers Warned! [Re: Anonymous]
    #1350765 -

>>History teachers are the ones most likely to present biased views, and are the ones who should not under any cicumstances. <<

I don't know if it's realistic to expect that. I've never read a history book that did not present a specific point of view, a specific interpretation of the facts. If you say, "these are the causes of the Civil War," or "these were Woodrow Wilson's most significant accomplishments," you are already delving into the realm of opinion.

More realistic would be to expect the teacher to present a spectrum of interpretations, and open the floor for discussion. And even then, it's unlikely that the teacher will be able to hide his own point of view.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* NRA Leader Advocates Guns for Teachers
( 1 2 3 4 all )
RandalFlagg 4,573 64 03/29/05 07:40 PM
by SoopaX
* Public schools no place for teachers' kids Evolving 1,336 15 09/22/04 10:49 PM
by AhronZombi
* Palestinian textbooks brainwash children to kill
( 1 2 3 all )
Ed1 6,101 44 11/10/04 08:40 PM
by ricyjo
* Another teacher messes around with students RandalFlagg 1,215 9 08/14/05 11:58 PM
by RandalFlagg
* Teachers won't walk with graduates.
( 1 2 all )
lonestar2004 2,647 34 06/09/05 12:42 PM
by trendal
* How many of you have children or are of the draft age? Read
( 1 2 all )
fft2 2,055 24 07/19/04 01:06 AM
by Skikid16
* New "Freedom" Initiative/Mandatory Mental Health Screening of American Children Passes ekomstop 1,068 4 11/25/04 06:09 PM
by Great_Satan
* Bush warns Iran, Syria Zahid 473 1 10/29/03 01:14 AM
by Xlea321

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
3,452 topic views. 3 members, 2 guests and 20 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.