Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds
    #13501530 -

These have been multiplying ever since a foreign
basil plant was acquired from someone with a serious
infection.  I've been misting it with Neem solution,
and am now becoming concerned that it may contaminate
my plants to the point of no longer being safe, even
though with the good things Neem is good for and the
fact that I just paid 15.00 for a bottle of concentrate,
I'm considering alternatives like garlic and habanero
with vegetable oil. Any ideas welcome.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: bioBot]
    #13501544 -

i think your first step is to find out what kind of animal those are... gross


--------------------
   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: bioBot]
    #13501587 -

Use your fingers to squish, squash and remove as many as you can. Then apply your spray. Monitor for a few days and see if the population subsides, if not you need to try something else. How many days have you been using neem for and at what rate are you applying it?


I can't see what they are in that picture. A larger picture that I can click and expand could help in getting an id..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: karode13]
    #13507249 -

What can be seen is a 5M-pixel closeup.  They are never moving when
I see them...  the Neem Oil is being used from a fine-mist bottle, and
I've been using it every day for maybe a week.




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: bioBot]
    #13507276 -

Man those pictures are terrible to say the least but I appreciate the effort.....Also I can't even expand them which they do if you upload them to this site.

Try googling:

Whitefly

Mealy bug

Aphids

Thrips

Scale insect


I reckon it's one of these, probably mealy bug but :shrug:


Anyways....


If they're not moving catch and destroy them with your fingers. Don't be a pussy about it as your plant depends on you to defend it.



Has the population decreased or increased since you've been treating it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: karode13]
    #13508061 -

It's aphids. Neem oil works well for aphids, but the active ingredient-azadiracthine isn't super fast to act. I usually recommend three applications spaced a week apart. There are also some neem products that have pyrethrine added to them to make the "knockdown" a little faster. I don't know about all this garlic hot pepper stuff. You could also use just a straight pyrethrine or an insecticidal soap.

I know it doesn't really look that much like aphids in the picture. What we're seeing in the picture are actually the "shucks", which are the exoskeletons the aphids leave behind when they molt. You can hose them off with some water. The live aphids (assuming they are still alive) are probably on the undersides of the leaves, or in the nooks and crannys where the leaves join the stems.


--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: nicechrisman]
    #13511050 -

That's a very good possibility. :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: karode13]
    #13554821 -

I generally use neem as a maintenance product to keep crawlies like that away. It takes some time to get rid of an active infestation with neem because it actually doesn't kill the little buggers, it just interrupts their sexual cycles. Meaning, when applied it keeps the insects at a juvenile stage from advancing to a reproductive stage. The previously laid eggs still hatch and the new generation has full reproductive capabilities.
:bananabang:
A systematic dosage of neem can eliminate an infestation, but your chances are a hell of a lot better with something stronger. I always recommend a pyrethrin spray. Pyrethrins are produced by chrysanthemum flowers, and they actually kill insects. In a pure form though they biodegrade within several hours when exposed to oxygen or sunlight. I've used both neem and Pyrethrin based sprays for years with no ill effects.
Good luck! :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: RedRock]
    #13555306 -

What about diatomaceous earth?  I saw a bag in the health food store a couple days ago for four bucks.  And I recalled how many recommended it for plant pests.  I've never used it, but I may go back and get a bag just so I'll have some on hand.

I just did a quick search and it said that DE is lethal to aphids.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Leaf Pests, Neem Oil, Alternative Compounds [Re: sheddingtheveil]
    #13555731 -

Nicotine, palmolive, chilli pepper, cayenne pepper.

Soak a handful of used ciggy butts, a finely chopped (hotter the better) chilli, a tea spoon of cayenne pepper in boiling water in a coffee plunger over night.
Strain out in to spray bottle and squirt some Palmolive (washing up liquid) in to the bottle.

I use the coffee plunger as its fine mesh catched all of the fine particles than can block the sprayer.

This was told to me by someone on here on a similar thread 2 years ago, and it's BY FAR THE BEST thing I have used so far.

Peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Psychotria viridis pest problem. jben 2,012 6 04/19/05 07:43 PM
by jben
* PESTS of Indoor Gardens!!! Fluxburn 1,900 17 03/23/05 12:01 AM
by Fluxburn
* Help!!! my cannabis plant has a pest!!! AIRDOG 1,530 5 04/15/02 08:42 PM
by AIRDOG
* Salvia. D. - pests, insects, white flies etc Merkin 736 3 02/14/05 02:22 AM
by Hanky
* leaves going black Theido 828 5 09/30/05 03:33 AM
by Theido
* Pot Leaf number? shroominsmurf 5,093 12 08/24/03 10:35 PM
by Starter
* Salvia extraction alternative TheHook 2,233 10 03/25/05 10:42 PM
by Mykul
* Salvia Pests microsporum 813 3 10/03/06 03:08 PM
by microsporum

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
2,913 topic views. 0 members, 15 guests and 16 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.