Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
A Dilemma....need help...
    #1335948 - 02/25/03 08:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm having a problem with some elements to a fruiting chamber. I have some questions....

1. If using a rubbermaid conatiner how large should it be (height and length) for 12 cakes? I was looking around and couldn't figure out what would be good.

2. For reasons, I can't have my light source on the outside of my fruiting chamber so that means I have to mount a light to the top of my conatiner on the inside. Now I was wondering how to accpomplish this...what kind of light (with what wattage) would be best so the temp doesn't get too hot and kill the mushies. Or is there another option that I'm overlooking for lighting inside my container?

3. On an unrelated topic. I was looking for a pressure cooker and found a Mirro 4.2 Quart/ 2 Liter Pressure Cooker for $17.92 and also a Mirro 8 Quart/ 7, 6 Liter Pressure Cooker for $29.36....which one would you suggest....it didn't tell me the PSI on the box...how do I find out that info?

Thanks for your help in advance, much appreciated!

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: A Dilemma....need help... [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1335972 - 02/25/03 08:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'd use an ice chest for my incubation and fruiting chamber. You can put an 18" florecent on the inside. But don't leave it on long as those guys can really throw off some heat; 30 min at a time, max. Of course, use a heating pad when incubating.

As for the PC, dunno. My friend has always used a microwave :smile:

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

#1336006 - 02/25/03 08:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

1. If your going to continue this hobby you should perhaps buy one of the big 68 liter rubbermaids to grow in. You can fit approx 24 jars in the bottom.

2. If you can see the mushrooms they have enough light to pin and grow. No need for a light IMO.

3. Go for the bigger PC for the same reason as getting the big rubbermaid. no use spending your money twice on something you need.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #1336122 - 02/25/03 09:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This guy I know wishes he would've know about this before his first grow. The bin-within-a-bin incubator/fruiting chamber works for cakes too. I guess you would want to place weights in the corners once the cakes are out of the jars.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Edited by Che_Night_Soil (02/25/03 10:18 PM)

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
    #1336170 - 02/25/03 10:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I'm having a problem with some elements to a fruiting chamber.  I have some questions....

1.  If using a rubbermaid conatiner how large should it be (height and length) for 12 cakes?  I was looking around and couldn't figure out what would be good.

A tub big enough for 12 cakes would be good.  :grin:

You probably want it at least 12" deep. And My neighbors hooker says she tries to give each cake at least 2" space from each other, so if you put three rows of four cakes in a tub then you generally want the tub to be 16" X 24", so loook for one along those demensions.

Quote:

2.  For reasons, I can't have my light source on the outside of my fruiting chamber so that means I have to mount a light to the top of my conatiner on the inside.  Now I was wondering how to accpomplish this...what kind of light (with what wattage) would be best so the temp doesn't get too hot and kill the mushies.  Or is there another option that I'm overlooking for lighting inside my container?

Fruiting shrooms really do not need much light, so no need to put some huge flood light in there. Instead get a little night light that plugs directly into a wall outlet. Plug it into an extention cord, tape or fasten this somehow (punch holes and use wire?) to the inside of the lid. Run the cord out through a hole or under the edge of the lid, and plug it into a timer plugged intothe wall.

Alternately, if you are electronically inclined, go to radioshack and buy some LED's (clear white ones, or an assortment of colors) and a battery and figure out the schematice for building a simple battery-powered array of LED lights. Fasten this to the underside of the lid. You could even get fancy and build a simple timer for it.

Quote:

3.  On an unrelated topic.  I was looking for a pressure cooker and found a Mirro 4.2 Quart/ 2 Liter Pressure Cooker for $17.92 and also a Mirro 8 Quart/ 7, 6 Liter Pressure Cooker for $29.36....which one would you suggest....it didn't tell me the PSI on the box...how do I find out that info?

Thanks for  your help in advance, much appreciated! 

Go for the bigger one, because you will wish you had a bigger one soon enough. A bigger one will handler more and bigger jars.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1336577 - 02/26/03 04:40 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The Mirro 8 quart can be set at 5, 10, or 15 PSI. This is the model that I use.  :smile: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: A Dilemma....need help... [Re: dog]
    #1336600 - 02/26/03 04:56 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks guys, once again you are much help!

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation