Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: PsychedelicSpirit]
    #12969422 -

PsychedelicSpirit said:
When I was a juvenile I was locked up with a couple kids who were in there for home invasion.  Got sent to level 8 programs, which are like 12-18 months.



home invasion has become a very serious crime, to juries it shows intent to do grievous bodily harm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #12969433 -

Learn to properly utilize the 'Quick Reply' function. :smirk:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: Poid]
    #12969445 -

Poid said:
Learn to properly utilize the 'Quick Reply' function. :smirk:



Ok, fantastic... But why the fuck did you take offense to the post I made that was unintentionally directed to you?

You act as if I called your mother a dirty whore or something.

Jesus... :facepalm:


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #12969464 -

Take offense? :lol:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: Poid]
    #12969472 -

:seriousbusiness:


--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: Poid]
    #12969478 -

Quote:
WTF are you on dude, I realized I was wrong, which is why I said "my bad". :nut:



Sure sounded like you took offense to me. :facepalm:


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #12969484 -

I'm not in the least surprised.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: abltsandwich]
    #12969518 -

abltsandwich said:
The most important thing isn't the weapon you choose, but how good you are at shooting it.  No gun is going to be worth owning if you don't make it out to the range to practice with it regularly.



the weapon is every bit as important as the training, proper training is
not conducted at a range, you cant drive your car onto a shooting range to
practice scenarios that may involve a car jacking, or off hand shooting
from a prone/semi prone position,  and the majority of ranges frown on
tactical shooting, you have to find ranges that either specialize in
that area or schedule time for it because it introduces increased danger
for others


long guns are typically a bad choice for self defense, you telegraph
your position to an intruder, they're awkward in tight areas and
seriously decrease maneuverability but more often than not it's best
that the choice of defense weapon fit the shooter, the long gun has
limited defensive purposes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: Tesla]
    #12969540 -

Sorry for me and this asshat derailing your thread Tesla.

What I suggest is to contact a local gun range. Ask them if they have self defense classes available. Even Concealed Carry classes, although it depends on if you want to get a CC permit.

Go to a range that rents out handguns and try to find one that feels right for you. Keep in mind that if you've never fired a handgun before, you are going to be pretty bad at it the first few times. Maybe ask a range officer or someone working at the range to show you proper grip and stance.

After all of that is done, then you can work on finding a gun that fits. It's really like finding a new car. You have to find one that suits your tastes.

Just don't think that you can go out tomorrow and buy a .45 1911, stash it under your pillow and be able to defend yourself properly. It takes practice practice practice.

IMO anyone that owns a firearm that's not proficient in it's use and safety should be charged with negligence.

Good luck, hopefully you won't need a weapon, but it sure is nice to have around when shit hits the fan and you have to defend yourselves or your loved ones.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12969581 -

Prisoner#1 said:
abltsandwich said:
The most important thing isn't the weapon you choose, but how good you are at shooting it.  No gun is going to be worth owning if you don't make it out to the range to practice with it regularly.



the weapon is every bit as important as the training, proper training is
not conducted at a range, you cant drive your car onto a shooting range to
practice scenarios that may involve a car jacking, or off hand shooting
from a prone/semi prone position,  and the majority of ranges frown on
tactical shooting, you have to find ranges that either specialize in
that area or schedule time for it because it introduces increased danger
for others


long guns are typically a bad choice for self defense, you telegraph
your position to an intruder, they're awkward in tight areas and
seriously decrease maneuverability but more often than not it's best
that the choice of defense weapon fit the shooter, the long gun has
limited defensive purposes



Training is far more important than the gun.  A gun is utterly useless without an operator attached to it, and how the operator uses it is key above any other factor.  A gun won't fire itself at a bad guy.  I'd rather be in a self-defense situation and well trained with a .22 than have no training and a 1911 that I can't aim well or know how to use.  Firing a gun at the range is really the only option a lot of people, especially city-dwellers, have for practice.  Surely you can't account for every situation at the range, but if you can sight your gun in on a target well enough it should be able to suit you well enough in a combat situation.  A CHL class does give training for these kinds of situations though.

I didn't specifically recommend a long gun.  In any ideal home-defense situation, one has a rifle, shotgun, and handgun accessible to them with adequate training on each one.  Consider this:  At no point in history has any military used a handgun as a primary weapon in any situation.  A handgun is used as a backup weapon.  Police raids are generally conducted with shotguns and rifles in close quarters.  That said, I'd recommend a first gun purchase to be a good handgun.  It works as home defense and can be carried, so it is much more utilitarian.  However, it's far from the ideal weapon since there really isn't such a thing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: abltsandwich]
    #12969627 -

I am a warrior. Buddha is nice but life is nicer. We must protect our livelihood . I got my conceal carry permit. At the moment Im carrying a glock 45 caliber model 30.


Here is my Glock (second from left)along with my shooting buddies guns. Were all clean and registered.



Buying a gun is a big deal but then again it isnt. I dont know why everyone doesnt carry. Their is no option but to carry. Fight the power, viva la revolucion!

LOLz


Good luck with your situation.


--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: abltsandwich]
    #12969693 -

abltsandwich said:
Training is far more important than the gun. 
I'd rather be in a self-defense situation and well trained with a .22 than have no training and a 1911 that I can't aim well or know how to use.




proper training and weapon choice are equally important, get all the
training you want with a 12g and it's useless if you're unable or too
afraid to shoot it and that .22 is useless against multiple targets if
you had to empty a magazine into the first one to stop his advance. a
lot of people are afraid to shoot large bore guns because it's
uncomfortable for them, I have a small 9mm that has 3x the recoil as my .45


Quote:
Firing a gun at the range is really the only option a lot of people, especially city-dwellers, have for practice.  Surely you can't account for every situation at the range



as I stated, you have to find a range that can accommodate your needs,
some times that may involve driving 50 miles and much of the practice
can be handled without live fire for those city dwellers, learn your
weapon and how to use it, learn tactics for home defense, learn tactics
for defense in those awkward situations

Quote:
if you can sight your gun in on a target well enough it should be able to suit you well enough in a combat situation.  A CHL class does give training for these kinds of situations though.



many states are 'will issue' states, a few require classes, many do not,
it's always advisable to take a class but I'm yet ot hear of many
classes that teach you to draw your weapon from string side with weak
hand and fire from an awkward position of cover, most involve you on
your feet and is one of the limiting factors in class time

Quote:
I didn't specifically recommend a long gun.  In any ideal home-defense situation, one has a rifle, shotgun, and handgun accessible to them with adequate training on each one.  Consider this:  At no point in history has any military used a handgun as a primary weapon in any situation.  A handgun is used as a backup weapon.  Police raids are generally conducted with shotguns and rifles in close quarters. 



you suggested the 12 gauge shotgun for home defense, shotguns are long guns
police entry weapons tend to be shorter barreled NFA weapons, the
M4, MP5 or shotguns with a 14" barrel, most also have shortened stocks,
they are purpose built guns that require additional paperwork and
transfer tax in addition to extra cost for the average guy, police raids
also involve a large number of pistols and plenty of kevlar, something
most people arent going to be sleeping in or putting on when they have
people breaking in, they also go in in large numbers and there's plenty
of instances where cops get shot by the guy with a hand gun

in combat the long gun outranks the pistol, we're talking about home and
personal defense, the long gun is the wrong weapon, when the muzzle of
the AK or 12gauge comes around that corner I have a good idea as to
where your body mass is, a couple rounds through the sheet rock puts you
out of commission, it's part of the reason those short carbines are
chosen for house clearing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robberies [Re: Tesla]
    #12970202 -

im from texas

so i say buy a gun, and then whenever you see him around...

shoot him

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robberies [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #12970630 -

I live in a State with a limited castle law so that should help considerably. It's just that with situations like this logistics can mean the difference between manslaughter or self defense.

As far as training or weapon choice goes I intend to get pretty serious on the training. I broke my leg and the surgeon pretty much told me I can't practice martial arts anymore or I risk rebreaking it and dislocating the thing given my family has issues with arthritis it's a huge risk.

This may be a good time to start focusing my efforts on weapons training. I have no record whatsoever and as long as it's legal I can get it.

I already know that I'm getting an AR15 eventually but right now I'm feeling like it's a huge risk especially after reading Pris's post about long guns. These things can go through cars you name it. We have houses on every side and given your aim is affected in combat situations it just seems like a huge risk for our neighbors and I wouldn't want to do that.

So right now I need to find a GOOD shotgun and a good handgun with little recoil as that is what has affected my aim considerably over years even with training from family members and friends. 12 gauge most likely. 20 gauges are nice for turkeys but I would consider them a little to humane for a person coming into my home with violent intent.

Pris I know you know your shit with guns dude so if you have any suggestions for high end civilian models let me know. I think I'm going to throw some serious money down here and start focus on weapons training to get back on the horse after the leg injury.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robberies [Re: Tesla]
    #12971076 -

first rule, never use anything smaller than a 12 gauge on a turkey or a goose

second, if you're interested in a larger caliber custom pistol that you
can build cheaper than most production guns, I recommend building it
because you'll have a unique pistol that is purpose built. here's a
little background

some years ago a company known as Caspian Arms sold the finest custom
1911 style pistols and race guns available, the going rate averaged
around $1800, several years ago they stopped producing the pistols and
limited themselves to manufacturing the parts for custom builders. of
course with the caspian name the parts are not cheap but they also sell
blemished parts under the name of the machine shop they run that earns a
substantial discount, the blemishes are usually very minute on the raw
parts, often times the machining will remove it, and frequently even
when it doesnt the blemishes aren't even noticeable, it's still the same
parts, same quality and the most unique thing about it is that you can
get large capacity frames, so instead of a 7rd .45 you can own a 12rd
model using double stacked mags, you can build it as a 9mm and have a
capacity of 21rds.

another unique feature is that you generally have 3 choices in the
materials it can be made from, stainless, carbon steel or titanium,
they do on occasion offer damascus steel and because of their production
run policy you may have to check back or may have to call and ask
because they dont always update their site regularly

even if you build the high capacity model with lots of fancy extras
using the caspian parts you'll still come out cheaper than you would
with a kimber government model and have a much better custom pistol, you
will have to do a little minor fitting but it's easily don and
instruction is all over the web, it also requires simple tools

not all the parts have to be caspian, buy their hi cap receiver and any
off the shelf slide and other parts, the receiver does have to be
shipped to a licensed dealer, everything else you can get straight
through the mail

http://www.caspianarmsltd.com/

http://www.fosterind.com/

now before you buy a pistol, hit a couple of gun stores, preferably with
a range so you can try out the various calibers and models to see what
suits you the best, your comfort with the pistol is important, I know I'm quite comfortable with mine and I'm not to eager to sell it


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robberies [Re: Tesla]
    #12975507 -

Tesla said:
This may be a good time to start focusing my efforts on weapons training. I have no record whatsoever and as long as it's legal I can get it.

So right now I need to find a GOOD shotgun and a good handgun with little recoil as that is what has affected my aim considerably over years even with training from family members and friends. 12 gauge most likely.

Pris I know you know your shit with guns dude so if you have any suggestions for high end civilian models let me know. I think I'm going to throw some serious money down here and start focus on weapons training to get back on the horse after the leg injury.




Training with weapons is both a neccessary evil and an excuse for uneducated folk to seem "knowledgeable". No owner with the sole intention of defending his home would ever buy an AR-15 or similar weaponry-nor cut off or modify a shotty or have a long rifle for intruders. Really, lets be honest...we can all joke about the opportunity to shoot an invader to our "personal space", but how do you explain that you "just so happened" to have such a deadly (and otherwise socially useless) weapon that was loaded and ready to rock?!?! I'm sure the cops would suspect nooooothing of a guy on main st packing a sawwed-off or AR...thats normal, right??

C'mon. Rights or not, there is a concept called "plausible deniability"....read it, learn it, put it in your favor, and deny it.

I fully agree that you should defend yourself against all obstacles, but this isn't the cold war. Bigger weapons don't always equal better results. I agree with previous posts saying that a well trained handgun  operator is your best solution. IF i were a cop and I saw an invader shot with a legal gun, my questions would be much less ranging than that of a victim strained by an AR or tenderized with a sawed off shotty.

The rules are in your favor. Know them, embrace them, and enforce them. Afterall, its like the Chief said in the end: "Its the Indian, not the arrow" that kills.


(edit) I mean no disrespect to any previous posts. I am merely saying that a well-trained .45 to the bod will eliminate the threat/risk. You aren't figthing the Taliban, or even a well-organized group, so why prepare for guerrilla warfare when sanctions and a SHOW of force can accomplish the same result? (but if the party threatens or shows force, shoot them, you have covered your bases!!)

Edited by Lazyboy311 (07/30/10 02:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robberies [Re: Lazyboy311]
    #12975979 -

Lazyboy311 said:
No owner with the sole intention of defending his home would ever buy an AR-15 or similar weaponry-nor cut off or modify a shotty or have a long rifle for intruders.



a US citizen doesnt need an excuse to own what ever weapon he wants as
long as he's not prohibited by law from doing so, there's no need to
explain the gun, just the action



Quote:
C'mon. Rights or not, there is a concept called "plausible deniability"....read it, learn it, put it in your favor, and deny it



there is no plausible deniability when you shoot someone in your home,
whatcha gonna say, he broke in and committed suicide in your livingroom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: May have to buy a handgun for my own peace of mind after talking with the Police over some robbe [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12976113 -

Get a watchdog or even better.. a tiger! Nobody fucks with a tiger, mannnn.


--------------------
See I'm at one with the waves, whereas my wifes breasts are at one with her knees.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* THE POLICE ARE AFTER ME!!!!!!!! GringoLoco 1,229 10 05/01/03 03:39 PM
by resin
* Police
( 1 2 3 all )
Fungushungry 4,566 46 12/05/05 06:19 PM
by XUL
* Peace Corps RebelSteve33 1,721 10 08/15/03 07:15 PM
by Mystical_Craven
* My talk with the racists at stormfront.
( 1 2 all )
JiminiCricket 11,351 28 04/19/15 10:31 AM
by zappaisgod
* Radiohead/A Beautiful Mind synch weirdness Revelation 867 2 09/12/03 01:20 PM
by Bhairabas
* Police: Man dies after trying to swallow bag of pot
( 1 2 3 all )
Stein 6,893 49 11/20/03 11:02 PM
by OldSpice
* Breaking News: Michael Jackson runs from police SoulSurfer 1,285 15 11/20/03 11:52 PM
by Zero7a1
* link about peace entiformatie 883 7 03/17/03 11:07 AM
by entiformatie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,407 topic views. 8 members, 12 guests and 89 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 15 queries.