Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Dig what I just Found!
    #1287036 - 02/06/03 09:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I was wandering around in Megalo-Mart today, in the pet supplies section, and I found this groovy "Dog And Cat Bed Heater", made by a company called "SPI" or "Suburban Products, Inc".

It is a flat, black plastic thing about 6 inches wide, and 14 inches long, it has a fairly heavy duty cord comming off of one end. It looks like it is fairly water proof...but I wouldnt submerge it. I am testing it out right now by putting a thermometer on it, and piling some clothes on top of it, to help trap heat and see how it does. So far it looks like it is a stable 85-87 degrees.

Hmmm...perfect for incubating!

I could either put it directly on the bottom of a rubbermaid tub, maybe put a towel over it to help buffer the heat, and then load it up with jars.

Or I could put it UNDER the tub, and put the jars in the tub.

It *might* be possible to put it on the bttom of a tub, put and inch or so of perlite on top of it, then add some water, and it *might*happlily supply 75 degrees (Allowing for water cooling/disapation to keep it cooler then the 86 degrees its producing in a dry, covered condition) And therefore it might be ok for a fruiting chamber.

I have NOT tested these uses yet...so if you run out and buy one ($20 bucks!) do some testing yourself before yuou burn down your place, or fry your cakes, or whatever...Im sure it is good for incubating though.

It is very similar to a heat pad for a reptile aquarium...at about half the price.

It is a heater that you slip inside of a pillow, or doggy bed, and it keeps rover warm.

Pretty neat, huh?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJimBoB
sucky sucky 10dollar

Loc: England.
Re: Dig what I just Found! [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1287055 - 02/06/03 10:28 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Not to bash you, but whats wrong with a fish tank heater for the incubation stage?

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: Dig what I just Found! [Re: JimBoB]
    #1287104 - 02/06/03 11:29 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Whooopsie!

Hold yer horses before you run off to MegaloMania Mart.....
I just checked the temp on this thing and it went up as high as 120 degrees....certainly hot enough to kill mycelium and broil cakes.

However that does not mean it is entirely useless.

If used UNDER a rubbermaid tub, and proper experimentation was done involving a layer of towels, or cardborad, or perhaps even damp perlite that would disipate the heat, it could still e used to incubate or even fruit.
There is not temp gauge or rheostat on these things, so adjustments would have to be done via insulation means.

This thing cost me $20 bucks, a submergable aquarium heater that is adjustable costs a bit more then $20. A bonus for this heater is that it is flat and flexible, and is 6 inches by 14 inches, where a fiishtank heater is not flexible, is breakable, and must be used in water, or it will just cook things within short proximity of it, and do nothing for anything else.

The incubator set ups involving two tubs, with water in the bottom tub and the fish tank heater are cool. The point of the water is to disipate the heat from the heater and spread it out so to speak and warm the top tub.

This device I got tonight could possibly do that without the water. And that could be a bonus in certain cases: water breeds contams, especially at warm temps. Water can cause shorts, and can sometimesjust not be practical or feasable.

But another idea for this device is that if you stack up your tubs, like I do, then this could be put between tubs and warm one from the top, and one from the bottom.

Nothing wrong with fishtank heaters...Ive got one happily warming up my prostate gland right now.

InvisibleKilo
-=:+:aka:UnclePimpy:+:=-
    #1287207 - 02/07/03 01:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Go to a pet store and get Repti-Therm heater pads. They also have a separate thermostat, not exact temps but I've found the medium setting to run 78-82 and the High setting to run 82-98 but no higher than that...works great, cuts my myc growth time almost in half of what it was when I was using fish tank heaters. It's kind of expensive, $20 per part I think....I stole all mine so it didn't matter. Good luck!

--------------------
"Video games dont affect kids. I mean, if pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be sitting around in dark rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive music."

Edited by Kilo (02/07/03 01:54 AM)

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Dig what I just Found! [Re: Kilo]
    #1287239 - 02/07/03 02:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I will admit I am a total newbie (and out of 8 jars I got ONE!!!!!)
but the heating pad under a rubermaid seems to work well for my one fucking jar

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Dig what I just Found! [Re: Kilo]
    #1287282 - 02/07/03 02:32 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

hey, kilo, i was gonna suggest this. a local pet store here sells this reptile pad stuff. it is like a clear plastic and you can see the heater elements squiggling through it. it also has thermometer sensor traces run through it. you can buy it at whatever length you want. they cut it and hook it up to a cord w/thermostat for you. it's 12 bux a yard and 8 dollars for the cord/therm. the thermostat is analog adjustable (IOW not just H/M/L) so you can dial it up to just the right temp using an external thermometer. that's really the fault I see with this pet bed heater. you need to be able to fine-tune the thermostat. BTW, i dunno if this stuff has a brand but they call it ReptiPad and said it can be ordered on the internet in rolls of like 100 yards. there are 2 widths; 1' and 1.5'. that being said I KNOW these work damn good because a dumbass friend of mine once bought a kit from mushroommagic.com and this is exactly what they use. the call it an aquarium bottom heater. these people do not provide pics. if I knew the damn brand I might be able to find a source for the rolls. see http://www.mushroommagic.com/aquarium.htm

anyway, just a little info.
personally, never used these and not endorsing this "vendor", just referencing.

OfflineRedCommyBasterd
Fuzzy McGee
Loc: N.Y., N.Y.
    #1287373 - 02/07/03 03:08 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah my friend's mother got one of those for free :smile: tx to the wide awake shiz-mart workers.   

Offlinebloo_sunshine
journeyman
    #1288389 - 02/07/03 09:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

That would definitely work. Right now my neighbors..uncle has a reptile pad UNDER their rubbermaid container. It works just to wrap aluminum foil around the thing, so it doesnt get AS hot...seems to be working out quite well! Good luck! :grin:

--------------------
I do not regret the things ive done, but those i did not do

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules