Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Greece Riots
    #12509305 -

so not only is this country's economy in the toilet, but now the government is making major cuts in pay and spending on vital programs while raising the cost of living at the same time. so the people are taking the streets. what do you think it would take to make us here in the states take the same plan of action? do you foresee this very situation in our future?


--------------------
I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #12509328 -

Same as in Greece. Raise taxes. Once the free money tap is closed off, all the dependents get off their lazy ass to throw firebombs.

So Greece has had denial, now they're into the anger stage. Expect bargaining, depression and acceptance to follow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #12509331 -

Greece can't afford its social net - it has no money - what the fuck else can they do but cut?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Noetical]
    #12509338 -

Of course they're cutting services and pay.  Their country is fiscally fucked.  They have unreasonable pension programs (98% of pay for some individiuals, I heard somewhere).  People retire young as fuck. 

It will happen in America.  We'll have to raise taxes and clamp down on government spending.  Obviously not right now - as we're emerging from a recession - but in the medium term it will definitely happen.

Get ready for it.  Don't expect riots (didnt say they won't happen), but it should be entertaining

:popcorn:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: memes]
    #12509341 -

Greece is fucking hardcore with it's riots.

Shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Noetical]
    #12509347 -

does anyone know how they spent the money given to them by the european union upon entrance? 

i was talking to a spanish dude about the whole situation.  i was telling him that a greek girl i know said it was the adoption of the euro that fucked greece over by increasing the cost of living by like 3 fold.  he said it was the greek gov't's fault because they squandered the money given to them by the EU; versus spain, which was also given money, but pumped the money into restorative efforts and infrastructure to create jobs.

anyone know enough about this to confirm or deny?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #12509398 -

Nobody pays taxes in Greece. Surgeons officially make minimum wage but they rake in the cash under the table. If it weren't for the Euro they would probably have been cut loose to deal with their own hyperinflation. the rest of Europe isn't exactly happy to have to bail out the stragglers.

According to wiki, Greece receives 6.8Billion euros annually and pays 1.9billion in contribution, so they can't really complain about the EU membership, and every country complains about inflation since euro membership. It may simply be ordinary inflation caused by the crisis of busting of the dot-com bubble.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: koppie]
    #12509446 -

i can wait for our north american union :rolleyes:


--------------------
I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #12509634 -

Dog Bless those Greek Anarchists! Those mother fuckers know how to get down with the class struggle! *salutes*




Edit: Excuuuuuuuuuse me for typing fast

Edited by misfitdeviate (05/05/10 09:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: misfitdeviate]
    #12509640 -

misfitdeviate said:
Those mother fuckers no how *salutes*




:facepalm:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: misfitdeviate]
    #12509657 -

is it even a matter of anarchism?


--------------------
I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: memes]
    #12509671 -

meams said:
misfitdeviate said:
Those mother fuckers no how *salutes*




:facepalm:



:facepalm:

Meams: "Yeah, I read the Economist. Im so cool and smart" :dielaughing:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #12509675 -

FREE TEKNO YO

:rave::rave::rave:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Beanhead]
    #12509695 -

You want to know why they have great pensions and far better social programs then the USA its because they riot and burn down shit.

When they cut services here you might get 20 protesters and everyone thinks they are communist.

I don't understand this country :picard:


--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: trekie]
    #12509782 -

Those great pensions and far better social programs really fuckin' worked out, huh?


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: jewunit]
    #12509905 -

jewunit said:
Those great pensions and far better social programs really fuckin' worked out, huh?



Don't let facts stand in the way of his moronic statement.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: jewunit]
    #12509920 -

I was in Greece during the Olympics and was able to interact with people all over the country about their political ideas. Opinions of course were wide ranging, but in general it did seem that Greek people have an almost ingrained hostility towards government and control. I mean the month before there were even strikes by watermelon farmers. Even the smaller cities had an ample amount of graffiti and anti-government posters.

Beautiful place though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: jewunit]
    #12509939 -

jewunit said:
Those great pensions and far better social programs really fuckin' worked out, huh?



im pretty sure our bullshit has a lot to do with the state of greece right now.


--------------------
I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: Olympus Mons] * 1
    #12510020 -

I don't really follow this kind of shit too closely but from what I gather the majority of their problems stem from ridiculous spending.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Greece Riots [Re: jewunit]
    #12510090 -

Entitlements FTL.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* riot in greece Bridgeburner 285 2 12/12/08 07:36 AM
by libertaire
* Official Shroomery Shape-Up Program!
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Delyrium 9,737 70 05/04/04 10:36 PM
by utopianglory
* RIOT!
( 1 2 all )
Individual 4,100 36 05/04/07 06:43 PM
by RoachMan
* $499,674.84 California Pension for BRUCE MALKENHORST a year 5150 325 3 07/15/09 12:31 PM
by Mysterium Fidei
* good music download programs for macs? preferably whole albums...
( 1 2 all )
mikeytro 2,650 25 05/02/07 10:30 PM
by daytripper05
* So I got my gym membership today.
( 1 2 all )
NewbieS 1,983 23 12/07/07 08:37 PM
by Newbie
* Referral Program Snypa187 710 6 07/11/07 05:37 PM
by Dety
* Haymarket Riot - "Trip On Out" (mp3) LearyfanS 1,194 4 07/23/05 08:05 PM
by Learyfan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,554 topic views. 1 members, 30 guests and 227 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 18 queries.