Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
martha or monotubs
    #12431486 -

if say you wanted to grow a wide variety of mushrooms
would a martha be better

what are the advantages opposed to monotubs ,shotguns etc.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431565 -

why not both?


--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: prismism]
    #12431614 -

like a mono in a martha

then it would be more easer to stack some see through tubs
with a fogger and a vicks hooked up with some hoses

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431644 -

no. i meant you can have both. marthas are good for having a bunch of bulk trays and blocks.
a monotub would still be useful even if you have a martha.


--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431648 -

I use both. My martha is my main FC, but I also have a couple 15 gallon monotubs for when it gets a little too crowded in there. In fact, right now i'm using both. I have some PR, KS, and PESA in the martha and just yesterday put 6 quarts of Treasure Coast in one of the monos.

A mono in a martha would probably work, but it defeats the purpose of the monotub. Just get a bunch of shallow tubs or trays and use them inside the martha.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431665 -

Well imo if I had the room I would take a martha any day of the week!

It's alot more on Q and you can put just about anything in there that you wish.

A mono is a guessing game or more like cross your fingers. If done right they work great! I just wanted to do a mini and it has been killing me and not working as the others did in the past.

Also fyi,bed bath and beyond have what your looking for and they can hold enough water up to 36 hours instead of the vics.


--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431667 -

I think he means a martha and monos next to it.

Mono's advantages are ease and cost.

Marthas advantages are ability to separate a casing if it contaminates, ability to fruit many kinds at once.

I've done closets, monos, and greenhouses..I like the greenhouses (like a martha) just because for the same 10 lbs of poo someone puts in a monotub, I can make 5 casings for my greenhouse..if a contamination starts in the monotub, you lose the whole thing. If it starts in a casing in the greenhouse, you toss it and you still have 4/5's of what you started with. They are easier to move around, dunk ect.

I also think greenhouses have more open space in them giving you a bit better air exchange. A mono can have great FAE though too. So really it boils down to preference.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431675 -

Go with a Martha style portable green-house.

Advantages are many.

Multiple trays of anything, any time.
Not expensive to set up, if you have the room & privacy.
Once set up, it is easy to maintain & clean.
1 four foot fluorescent on a timer gives you optimal lighting.
Single trays are easy to empty & reuse as needed.
One coolmist outside for FAE & higher RH.
One coolmist inside to maintain high RH.


--------------------
CASING = GETTING IT RIGHT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: myco.alchemist]
    #12431687 -

what about making my own martha
resign shelves, plastic made like a giant glove

or would it make more sence to buy one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: myco.alchemist]
    #12431691 -

I would love to have a greenhouse for many reasons.

Everytime I look into them,the cost stops me.

I found a "cheap one" for I think 280 and that was a 10x10x8 I think.


--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

Edited by anti-flag (04/21/10 12:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: myco.alchemist]
    #12431696 -

You can get one of those 4 tier portable greenhouses from any number of hardware stores or nurseries for 40-60 bucks. That's exactly what I use and it works wonders.

edit: Like this:


--------------------

Edited by Boozie (04/21/10 12:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431712 -

Makes more sense to buy one.

If your feeling frisky..
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-High-Quality-56-x30-x78-Portable-Green-House-/120498723246?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0e4899ae

Or
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-High-Quality-56-x30-x78-Portable-Green-House-/120498723246?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0e4899ae

I have a big one like the top one and three of the smaller ones, the top one holds as much as three of the bottom ones but takes up less space.

I also have 5 monotubs I keep for overflow (third + flushes or possible contaminations) but they are usually not in use.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12431729 -

i guess im goin to buy one

how do i mount lights

inside or outside

i have two t5 florescent 3 foot fixtures i hope to use
so can they be mounted on the sides with a reflector ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12431741 -

scatmanrav said:
Makes more sense to buy one.

If your feeling frisky..
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-High-Quality-56-x30-x78-Portable-Green-House-/120498723246?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0e4899ae

Or
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-High-Quality-56-x30-x78-Portable-Green-House-/120498723246?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0e4899ae

I have a big one like the top one and three of the smaller ones, the top one holds as much as three of the bottom ones but takes up less space.

I also have 5 monotubs I keep for overflow (third + flushes or possible contaminations) but they are usually not in use.



now I would love to have one. The problem of course is putting that in my yard. That would be a huge red flag for me so I would never get to use it :frown:


--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

Edited by anti-flag (04/21/10 12:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431746 -

As far as cost...70 bucks for the large one shipped..like 35 for the small ones. The big one needs two humidifiers and a plastic sheet for the bottom and a shelf from target (they have a wire shelf that will fit and hold 8 12 quart tubs for 15 bucks) for the back of the shelf..that way you have 3 shelves in it that hold 8 casings each. The smaller one needs one humidifier, a plastic tub for the bottom (cement mixing tub from lowes fits perfect) and a bag of perlite. It will hold 7 12 quart tubs, with room for the humidifier to blast..

So thats 70+15+60=145 for the big greenhouse fully setup, plus a plastic sheet. And it will hold 24 of these:


Or 35+10+5+30=80 for the little one setup, and it will hold 7 of the above.

I have a small bedroom for these...I wish instead of the little ones I had bought two big ones...they are only 6 by 3 feet..really not that big.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: jokefox]
    #12431762 -

i am doing monotubs right now and I am thinking about going to a martha. Monotubs are good and they work great but it is way too much BS to work with more than 4. I am guessing 4 trays are nothing. I think we can safely assume this Shotgun FC -> Monotub -> Martha -> Greenhouse in relation to the amount you want to grow. That is just my opinion but I feel strongly about it. Monotubs can be a pain. I've never done a martha but it seems pretty straight forward.


--------------------
LxWxH in inches then multiply .55 (the amount of fl oz in a square inch) then divide that number by 128 (the amount of fl oz in a gallon) to get an accurate amount of volume for the space.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: anti-flag]
    #12431764 -

If you have the room & privacy.
You can build any sized GH you want about anywhere.
(garage, basement, spare room of any sort)

That is, if you are handy with a saw & screw gun.

A 100 ft X 10 ft roll of heavy mil black plastic is about $30
Plastic wall paper a space - ceiling - floor - everything with it.
Go from there as fancy, or simple as you want.

A 6 or 8 ft wide 8 ft long space is EASY to rig up.
Shelving is simple.
Lights, heat & RH are simple.
A timer makes life easy.

Only PITA is excess moisture on the floor.
But, a mop out once every few days will handle that.


--------------------
CASING = GETTING IT RIGHT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: myco.alchemist]
    #12431799 -

Thats what I did with my closet (see link in my signature) I elevated everything with shelves. I also did large tubs in my closet at points (the mono in the greenhouse you were talking about


I prefer the freestanding greenhouses though..Even full, I can slip that big one around the room..the little ones slide easy as hell.

As far as lights..I have lights hanging all over the wall..lots of CFL bulbs, a few strip lights..they can go on the outside..it looks green but its a green grid that lets light through. I also have one light, one of those mechanics use and hang on a car hood..I hang it from the middle of the greenhouse, inside..which takes care of any shaddows. Just hang your long lights vertically on the wall.


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12431936 -

scatmanrav said:
Thats what I did with my closet (see link in my signature) I elevated everything with shelves. I also did large tubs in my closet at points (the mono in the greenhouse you were talking about


I prefer the freestanding greenhouses though..Even full, I can slip that big one around the room..the little ones slide easy as hell.

As far as lights..I have lights hanging all over the wall..lots of CFL bulbs, a few strip lights..they can go on the outside..it looks green but its a green grid that lets light through. I also have one light, one of those mechanics use and hang on a car hood..I hang it from the middle of the greenhouse, inside..which takes care of any shaddows. Just hang your long lights vertically on the wall.



now with that kind of set up your way past me.
I would think you can only colonize all at once then change your temp and fruit all at once?
Also what kind of light sourse is needed?
I still play with the sun so I thought I would ask.


--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: martha or monotubs [Re: anti-flag]
    #12432010 -

anti-flag said:
I would think you can only colonize all at once then change your temp and fruit all at once?





What are you asking here?

anti-flag said:
Also what kind of light sourse is needed?
I still play with the sun so I thought I would ask.






We use flourescent lighting (because it's cheap) with a Daylight bulb (Daylight - 6,500 Kelvin) because it's in the most appropriate color temp. 

I'd suggest an 8 1/2" clamp light from the hardware store (about $9.50) with a daylight CFL bulb for tubs,or a long fluorescent tube fixture for a greenhouse or shelf of tubs.  ~P~


--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* About how much would it cost me to setup 2-3 marthas or greenhouses?
( 1 2 all )
RobMarley420 3,709 31 09/07/08 06:37 PM
by BrandNewbie
* martha or greenhouse question chubbmeister 1,181 7 06/25/06 07:14 PM
by chubbmeister
* martha's greenhouse wikedferret 1,468 5 12/25/07 06:57 AM
by MaddenKing081
* Martha style greenhouse humidity question 3nD 5,275 17 01/18/09 11:49 AM
by RogerRabbit
* Martha & Monotub competition! Got Pics! Come Check it Out ardalee 2,411 16 09/05/08 11:04 AM
by blood4blood
* Martha vs Greenhouse rezin8r 1,456 11 03/29/06 08:11 AM
by Oatman2000
* Martha style greenhouses @ Lowes for $35 cReEp 1nc 3,617 15 02/03/09 05:47 PM
by artizen
* Breathable Martha newmodel 1,831 11 01/17/09 12:31 PM
by newmodel

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
9,069 topic views. 14 members, 88 guests and 262 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.