Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Melbourne, wood chip find?
    #12383652 -

Habitat:
Found on wood chips, growing in groups. Some are connected. See pics attached.

Gills:
Gills are an orange-brown, quite soft.

Stem:
Stems are quite squishy. Look like they have little veins/lines running down them.

Cap:
Some of these mushrooms are pretty big. Maybe 4 inches and above in diameter, some smaller. Think I have some babies, and some adults! See pics. Sorta Brownish on the outer edge and orangey in the middle. they are spotted.

Spore print color:
Doing now

Bruising:
It looks like a redish purple to me.

Other information:
Mushroom is a pleasant smell. Not bad at all. The younger ones look a bit different to the older ones. Some at the location where I found it had split caps at the end (the bigger ones)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: season]
    #12383713 -

I'm gonna hazard a guess (and I mean guess) at a Gymnopilus of some sort..

Wait for a TI.. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Met]
    #12383755 -

Looks like Gymnopilus jr.from hear.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #12383789 -

never thought mushroom hunting can be so fun!
yes my goal is to get actives, but even finding different genus of mushrooms and so forth is so fun aswell! especially when you have a hunting buddy.

and every time i find one, i can identify it the next time i see it so im learning heaps too.

but yes, thanks everyone for replies and the t.i's for constantly answering i.d requests :smile: <3 shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #12383794 -

Someone please explain to me what Gymnopilus 'jr' is?  I have seen this 'Jr.' several times now that I have been back here in the forums.

:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #12383811 -

MadSeasonAbove said:
Someone please explain to me what Gymnopilus 'jr' is?  I have seen this 'Jr.' several times now that I have been back here in the forums.

:peace:



It stands for juniors.That's what kind of Gym.it is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #12383978 -

I thought it stood for Junonius?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: user1837483975]
    #12384039 -

Canberra said:
I thought it stood for Junonius?



Gymnopilus Junonius :thumbup:


--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: user1837483975]
    #12384043 -

My bad:blush:,I misspelled it.:blazed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #12384396 -

Just take a piece and chew it and spit it out, if It's bitter It's a Gymnopilus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #12386602 -

Why would the word "Junonius" be abbreviated "Jr."?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #12388501 -

Slang?  :confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #12389141 -

Twiztidsage said:
Why would the word "Junonius" be abbreviated "Jr."?



I think it might be an Australian thing,I'm seeing a lot of gym posts from there in the last week or so and they seem to refer to them as Gym.jr..I myself have always called them Gymnopilus spectabilis.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #12389164 -

That is a different species.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #12389172 -

They are conspecific. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #12389199 -

Blue-FunGuy said:
Twiztidsage said:
Why would the word "Junonius" be abbreviated "Jr."?



I think it might be an Australian thing



Now hold on just one cotton-pickin' minute - I have never heard anyone say Jr. except on these forums

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #12389255 -

Alan Rockefeller said:
They are conspecific. 



Sorry, I was being stupid. Thanks for correcting me!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #12389517 -

Sweet, I'm one step closer to being someone who kinda knows shit about mushrooms. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: Met]
    #12390079 -

wait, so i just wikipedia'd them.. it says some sub species contain psilocybin. are these ones active? im assuming so due to the redish purple bruising?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Melbourne, wood chip find? [Re: season]
    #12390295 -

From what I understand, they're rarely active in Australia. I think you're looking for more greeney-blue bruising..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How do Wood chips Get the Spores on them in the First Place? OregonBluesGil 1,536 5 11/10/05 03:02 PM
by rekcoF
* Differences between Wood Chip and Lawn Vars of Cyans. BigBallZMaN 2,371 12 08/02/05 09:05 AM
by psiclops
* Many mushrooms growing in the wood chips outside s986 5,503 10 10/22/02 05:47 PM
by JimBoB
* Official N. CAlifornia, BAY AREA thread *Fall 2007-Spring 2008* ((post your finds here!))
( 1 2 3 4 ... 62 63 )
CureCat 76,978 1,241 03/12/08 04:13 PM
by Ferris
* cyans in relation to wood chip age? zorkieo 1,295 9 12/16/06 03:58 PM
by CureCat
* Finds in wood chips
( 1 2 all )
sublimistri 4,262 32 01/25/05 09:43 PM
by Psilygirl
* Wood Chips LynchBox810 1,369 6 01/20/06 02:26 PM
by LynchBox810
* Ps. cubensis in wood chips!!!!????(PICS) Lizard King 4,187 11 09/09/01 05:53 PM
by amanita

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,832 topic views. 1 members, 12 guests and 43 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.