Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
mild to severe anxiety
    #12276891 -

From middleschool up to my junior year in high school I've generally been a funny and somewhat sociable person. I had a lot of friends and I never felt awkward holding a conversation. I was quick witted and could make people laugh easily. I've always been a little on the shy side but it's turned into full blown anxiety. I don't know what happened...ever since 12th grade I started feeling awkward talking to people and being social was difficult. College was a fucking nightmare, miles away from home, no friends, I was very lonely. I skipped classes on days I knew we had to do presentations because I could just not do it. I would stutter like crazy, forget what I was going to say, turn red, and basically just have what I'd consider a panic attack. I never feel at ease talking to people, I can't relax. I feel like I lost my sense of humor to some degree also. Only my close friends are the ones I can be chill around and hold conversations with. I've really cut back smoking weed (which is about the only drug I do) and only smoke on the weekends. I even started an intense workout routine along with eating healthier. All of this seemed to help, but it's always there no matter how hard I try to fight back the anxiety. What the hell is wrong with me and what else can I do? I've tried talking to random people but I just feel utterly awkward. I'm starting to consider seeing a doctor and getting on medications...but all they seem to do is mask the problem. I don't know what to do anymore :confused:

I greatly appreciate any help/advice/responses

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: PoopSoap]
    #12279387 -

this does resemble acoounts of clinical anxiety pretty well. I consider talking to a doctor about it. These kind of conditions are hard to treat because of the wide range of possible contributing factors. Seems that your doing everything you can to help the situation. Keep eating right, exerscising and talk to a doctor. You have to force yourself to get over. Put yourself out there and accept the anxiety.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: sui]
    #12279564 -

Been there. I still get anxiety when I have to go to the mall alone or something similar. Mostly I was overrating life, I think. My suggestions:

Stop smoking weed. (gave me anxiety, panic attacks and eventually schizophrenia)

Take 5-HTP or tryptophan. (serotonin imbalance causes anxiety, panic attacks)

Go for walks, perhaps in Nature? (exercise gets all sorts of brain chemicals going)


If it's getting to the point of frequent panic attacks go see a psychiatrist. There might be an effective SxRI medication for you.


--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: sui]
    #12281306 -

suimush said:
this does resemble acoounts of clinical anxiety pretty well. I consider talking to a doctor about it.



WTF can a doctor do about it? :what:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: circastes]
    #12282155 -

suimush said:
this does resemble acoounts of clinical anxiety pretty well. I consider talking to a doctor about it. These kind of conditions are hard to treat because of the wide range of possible contributing factors. Seems that your doing everything you can to help the situation. Keep eating right, exerscising and talk to a doctor. You have to force yourself to get over. Put yourself out there and accept the anxiety.



I'm really trying to put myself out there. I started trying to appear more confident when I'm in public and had some success with that. I have a lot of underlying personal issues that I think contribute to my anxiety like low self esteem, low confidence, and lots of insecurities. I have no clue how I became this way.

circastes said:
Stop smoking weed. (gave me anxiety, panic attacks and eventually schizophrenia)

Take 5-HTP or tryptophan. (serotonin imbalance causes anxiety, panic attacks)

Go for walks, perhaps in Nature? (exercise gets all sorts of brain chemicals going)


If it's getting to the point of frequent panic attacks go see a psychiatrist. There might be an effective SxRI medication for you.



Funny thing is when I get high my anxiety is greatly reduced, I feel sort of like my easy going goofy old self again. I can't tell if weed makes my anxiety worse when I'm sober. I've had anxiety long before I started toking. I've been doing a lot of reading about 5HTP and tryptophan so I might give them a shot. Do you have experience with taking them? Taking a nice jog through some nature trails sounds like an excellent idea I will try that when it warms up  :sunny: Thanks for the advice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: PoopSoap]
    #12282216 -

Do you drink a lot of caffeine? Might sound obvious but I would cut that out if you haven't tried already, it can really mess with some people and it's in a lot of drinks.. Have you tried breathing exercises? I can send you PDFs on the subject, really helped my ex girlfriend. Other than that keep on trying to be brave, these things take time to develop and to defeat, don't give up. Peace.


--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"




"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #12282687 -

MushroomTrip said:
suimush said:
this does resemble acoounts of clinical anxiety pretty well. I consider talking to a doctor about it.



WTF can a doctor do about it? :what:





Um theres many types of doctors, a doctor that specializes in psychological issues like clinical awiety would be a psychiatrist. Or a doctor of psychietry.

What he/she would do depends on the doc and the patient.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: sui]
    #12283050 -

A doctor would most possibly prescribe him some meds; why would he want to take meds for something as simple and fixable as anxiety? There are some thoughts that are going on in his mind in the moment he is feeling anxiety, thoughts which also create this unpleasant somatic reaction known as anxiety, and pills, while very effective at taking care most of the somatic symptoms, do nothing to help him change the destructive thoughts that are going on in his mind.
I just think that it seems more preferable that he takes case of the real cause, rather than of a mere effect. :shrug:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #12283777 -

I said talk to a doctor which can help, ultimately its your decision whether or not you go on the drugs but it can help to just talk to a person in the mental health field.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: PoopSoap]
    #12285016 -

ive suffered from social anxiety alot in my life, well in the past decade anyways.  I'm 26 now.  It comes and goes, but really I just got tired of reacting to it..  like I still get attacks, all these messages telling me I need to cower and hide,  but it almost seems like I can see the man behind the curtain, pushing buttons trying to make a situation out to be scarier than it is.

so, whats the worse thing that can come from an awkward social situation?  A few people think you're weird and different,  big deal.  just tell yourself that you're super awesome and then you are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #12285827 -

MushroomTrip said:
A doctor would most possibly prescribe him some meds; why would he want to take meds for something as simple and fixable as anxiety? There are some thoughts that are going on in his mind in the moment he is feeling anxiety, thoughts which also create this unpleasant somatic reaction known as anxiety, and pills, while very effective at taking care most of the somatic symptoms, do nothing to help him change the destructive thoughts that are going on in his mind.
I just think that it seems more preferable that he takes case of the real cause, rather than of a mere effect. :shrug:



Good lord, you think anxiety is "simple and fixable" for everyone? The business end of your crackpipe musta been hot to the touch when you wrote that post. There's a lot of people who'd be totally unable to function without meds (or therapy) for their debilitating anxiety. The causes of anxiety can be extremely complex and ingrained as well, and while any effective treatment should focus those, you also have to be able to get through life, to say nothing of enjoying it, in the meantime...which can be a long road for some people, and in some cases one that never ends. Never had this sort of anxiety myself but I know several people who have/do and it really burdens them beyond belief. Terrible advice :thumbdown:


--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: Grok]
    #12285892 -

jwh-018 and 073 have a period of a day or two afterwards where most of my (mild) social anxiety disappears..
its actually been a real help

deprenyl also helped a lot @ 5mg every other day. it also improved my already upbeat mood a decent amount,
feels like life is enhanced. and it greatly lowered my anxiety when smoking weed, it had gotten really bad.

Edited by golden1 (03/28/10 01:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: Grok]
    #12286305 -

Grok said:
Good lord, you think anxiety is "simple and fixable" for everyone? The business end of your crackpipe musta been hot to the touch when you wrote that post. There's a lot of people who'd be totally unable to function without meds (or therapy) for their debilitating anxiety. The causes of anxiety can be extremely complex and ingrained as well, and while any effective treatment should focus those, you also have to be able to get through life, to say nothing of enjoying it, in the meantime...which can be a long road for some people, and in some cases one that never ends. Never had this sort of anxiety myself but I know several people who have/do and it really burdens them beyond belief. Terrible advice :thumbdown:



Whoa, no need to get all hysterical.
Before continuing this discussion, please tell me if there is any objective proof that shows that some people will not be able to handle their anxiety without drugs. Anxiety is a nasty thing to be experienced, and, just by its bare nature, it can lead one into thinking that nothing can be done and that they have absolutely no control over it. It feels this way, like I said, because anxiety has all those scary and unpleasant somatic manifestations that add up to the mental symptoms. When your heart is racing like hell, when you're sweating from everywhere, and when your legs are shaking like you don't know if they're yours anymore, the reflex is to think that there's nothing you could possibly do to consciously control it, but then there's so much proof of successful therapy that shows exactly how much this problem can be fixed from a psychological perspective, of course, if the strategy of the therapy is a smart one.
So yeah, the fact that some of the people you know take meds to alleviate the symptoms doesn't mean shit when it comes to trying to prove that there are kinds of anxiety that just can't be figured out from a conscious perspective. You are always free to show scientific evidence for you claims, and, if you can't, then take your crap elsewhere.
:bye:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #12288594 -

For one thing, you've provided -- oh wait, nothing -- in the way of scientific evidence yourself, so feel free before badgering me for the same. I think you're missing the point anyway. Yeah, I'm sure that therapy is probably one of the best solutions to anxiety problems (just based on what I've read), but these issues can take years to resolve, and in the meantime it can be quite helpful for people to take drugs to counteract the negative impacts. And it's not just anxiety that can be a problem either, it often affects people's lives to the point that they become depressed or worse. What you imply by stating that
Quote:
WTF can a doctor do about it? :what:



is that there is absolutely no utility in looking into the option of meds for anxiety. Actually this statement you made implies that there is no utility in seeking professional help in general for this affliction. I'm willing to bet there are hundreds of thousands or even millions of people with a lot more firsthand experience than you or I who would hotly contest that claim, or just laugh at it. And besides, usually doctors will point you towards therapy as well. Perhaps meds aren't the ultimate solution to anxiety, but to say that they could do nothing to help is absolutely bogus. Every case is unique and you can't honestly believe that your mere words of encouragement are the ultimate fix for all cases of anxiety. Sounds messianic to me. Clearly, you cannot relate to people who've had deep anxiety problems, and it therefore seems disingenuous to give advice to them.


--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: Grok]
    #12288950 -

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure that therapy is probably one of the best solutions to anxiety problems (just based on what I've read), but these issues can take years to resolve



Years?
Try more like months or a year at most, if one does CBT, which is the most efficient kind of therapy for anxiety. Coincidentally enough, this kind of therapy works best if the patient doesn't take any medication, because this would be detrimental to the progress and purpose of the therapy; the main purpose of the therapy is guided exposure to one's anxiety.

Quote:
and in the meantime it can be quite helpful for people to take drugs to counteract the negative impacts.



Read above.

Quote:
What you imply by stating that

   
   
Quote:
WTF can a doctor do about it? :what:





is that there is absolutely no utility in looking into the option of meds for anxiety.



Please quote passage from my posts where I stated that there's absolutely no utility in taking meds, when I have clearly stated:

Quote:
pills, while very effective at taking care most of the somatic symptoms, do nothing to help him change the destructive thoughts that are going on in his mind.



Quote:
Actually this statement you made implies that there is no utility in seeking professional help in general for this affliction.



Because psychotherapeutic help isn't professional enough for you? :lol:

Quote:
I'm willing to bet there are hundreds of thousands or even millions of people with a lot more firsthand experience than you or I who would hotly contest that claim, or just laugh at it.



Like OMG, this comment was so cool, that it like totally changed my perspective!  :hotidea:
I'm pretty sure that you're right though, about the part where hundreds of thousand of people wouldn't agree with me or would even laugh at it. This doesn't mean they have any clue what they're talking about, obviously. Quantity ≠ quality. :wink:

Quote:
Perhaps meds aren't the ultimate solution to anxiety, but to say that they could do nothing to help is absolutely bogus.



Which is why I didn't say that. :imslow:

Quote:
Every case is unique and you can't honestly believe that your mere words of encouragement are the ultimate fix for all cases of anxiety.



Which is why I didn't say that either. :smirk:

Quote:
Sounds messianic to me.




Probably the voices in your head, because I didn't make any of those claims. :sorry:

Quote:
Clearly, you cannot relate to people who've had deep anxiety problems, and it therefore seems disingenuous to give advice to them.



"Clearly", since you know me so well. :rofl2:
Actually, leaving your unsubstantiated crap aside, I had experienced a shit load of anxiety in the past, that sometimes it felt so strong as though my heart would literally explode, which is one of the reasons why I actually know what I am talking about. :wink:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: PoopSoap]
    #12289844 -

I think one of the keys to beating social anxiety is stop looking for approval from others. You get nervous because you worry about what other people think about you, you need their validation and are scared that if you don't get it, it will hurt your self esteem or make you embarrassed. When you stop needing their approval and stop caring what they think about you, you have nothing to fear. You need to learn to find value in yourself and from yourself, not from other people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: PoopSoap]
    #12290461 -

Facing your anxiety and realizing that you're not out of control is a great step to take for a lot of people.  Quitting smoking cannabis helps a lot of people.  Getting medications tends not to fix anxiety.

I have a lot more to add, but I'm incredibly tired.


--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: mild to severe anxiety [Re: DimensionX]
    #12291436 -

DimensionX said:
I think one of the keys to beating social anxiety is stop looking for approval from others. You get nervous because you worry about what other people think about you, you need their validation and are scared that if you don't get it, it will hurt your self esteem or make you embarrassed. When you stop needing their approval and stop caring what they think about you, you have nothing to fear. You need to learn to find value in yourself and from yourself, not from other people.



thats good advice


also, don't go to a doctor....

i had terrible and persistent anxiety for a while...it was mostly social but i would get it by myself rarely...what has helped me? well, my best friend died a couple months ago and that was a wake up call to live my life...

read Ralph Waldo Emerson's 'Self Reliance' (you can find it online for free)

learn more about yourself...just get in tune with your body and mind and you will grow...

anxiety is a strong presence of fear/concern/worry...i would definitely not want to go to a doctor to just try and cover up the symptoms of the fear...its something that is apart of you and your past and its just something you will need to face...once you stop being afraid of fear all the time it will get better...you just need to face what you have cast out of the light of your mind and into the darkness of your subconscious...

http://www.awakeninthedream.com/wordpress/?p=211

maybe that article will help...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Social Anxiety
( 1 2 all )
AA2277 11,606 35 05/20/18 04:55 AM
by scarecrow3004
* Best drug for social anxiety (help please)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Mickel 17,988 63 05/21/03 09:00 PM
by SBTlauien
* Anxiety Mushie_Man 1,731 14 12/05/05 01:14 PM
by n0xious
* Anxiety!! TimeTraveler 1,929 9 08/13/04 11:11 PM
by TimeTraveler
* Using MDMA as a tool for Depression and Anxiety? Jabazz 4,396 19 08/18/13 01:35 PM
by The Lizard King
* anxiety/panic attacks; relationships; confusion HB 1,752 6 10/08/05 01:26 PM
by HB
* Anxiety and Panic attacks _Josh_ 2,152 4 04/07/03 06:23 PM
by _Josh_
* Trip-induced anxiety, depression, and depersonalization disorder, can anyone else relate?
( 1 2 all )
TheCrawlingKing 9,098 30 08/25/05 09:38 AM
by Icelander

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
1,600 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.