Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleThe_Clash_UK
Day Tripper
Loc: UK
Meditation
    #1228096 - 01/18/03 03:58 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

On my last LSD trip I was really supprised that I have never meditated. At the time it seemed like common sence that we should meditate.

Anyway, ever since ive been meaning to start, but just havnt been bothered. Without postin any link whats are some good basic techniques? What sort of expereinces can i expect, and how long until the first noticible signs of anything come on?

--------------------
Crash a cig guvnor?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Meditation [Re: The_Clash_UK]
    #1228117 - 01/18/03 04:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think meditation is a tool.A tool to help you focus.I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.Are you looking for something specific?Are you trying to change something about yourself or trying to understand something?

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

InvisibleThe_Clash_UK
Day Tripper
Loc: UK
Re: Meditation [Re: sirreal]
    #1228121 - 01/18/03 04:22 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well im really not sure what can be accompliseh by meditation. Id like to reach the state of enlightenment, but I expect that would be a long haul. I spose id like to find inner peace

--------------------
Crash a cig guvnor?

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1228130 - 01/18/03 04:28 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I see what you are saying.I think if you don't have a focus while trying to do things like meditate, it is easy to get lost.Of course, that is what some people do it for.I personally like to know what I am looking for so there is a better chance of finding it.That is what makes spirituality so hard for someone like me.I need it to be logical,and sometimes that seems like a hinderance.

--------------------
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
    #1228143 - 01/18/03 04:37 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I just started meditating last summer after quite a while of procrastinating. I think that I put it off for a while after I became interested becuase I didn't really know how to start. It is something that you could teach yourself, but it is a lot easier to learn the basics from someone who has been doing it for a long time. I'm sure you can find someone to help you out around where you live. If you'd rather just do it on your own, I'd recommend laying down flat on your back (or sitting in the lotus position, standing up, whatever feels most comfortable to you) and breathing through your nose with your eyes closed. Try to completely clear your mind of thoughts and focus on breathing slowly and deeply.
After the first time I meditated, I felt very content and my mind seemed able to focus much easier than before. The more often you practice, the longer this feeling lasts after you have finished meditating. Good luck. Once you have started, you'll be very glad that you have.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

Anonymous

Re: Meditation [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #1228156 - 01/18/03 04:44 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery and SPS! :smile:

Please read the "Be Nice" policy if you haven't done so already! :smile:

Enjoy your stay!

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1228168 - 01/18/03 04:55 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Watch the thinker. That's what I've been trying.

Oh, I've been told that it's best to meditate with your eyes open, because then you can integrate meditation into your everyday life. The goal is ultimately to be in a constant state of meditation...which would be especially difficult if you've only learned how to do it with eyes closed.

--------------------

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#1228232 - 01/18/03 05:27 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Most meditation techniques act as a means to reduce distraction from external stimuli to enter a state of relaxation or contemplation. This in itself will reduce stress and might be the whole reason someone tries such techniques. This is a fine goal to focus on initially, I suppose I would recommend looking at yoga books that spend time focusing on breathing exercises. The American Yoga Association has a beginner's manual which has a few exercises for this. The focus on breathing to create a mental climate of one-pointedness is a good foundation for going in many directions with meditation.
Another perhaps greater value to meditation is to develop a mental climate where thought processes can be observed and studied impartially. Here a guide is very helpful, and there are many available. The Buddhists are well practiced at this and their books often are good place to look. The point of this is to create an awareness that expands beyond what we experience in the physical world but also over mental formations that produce the actions we typically identify with. This expanded awareness has numerous benefits, the big sell being Enlightenment. But whatever it is good to understand what goes on in your head if you want to improve your life in any way. "What the Buddha Taught" is an excellent book for putting mental formations into that perspective, although I don't think it doesn't contain specific meditation techniques. I've been reading "How Can I Help" recently (by Ram Dass, one of the guys who tripped with Leary before heading off to India) and it develops ideas both why to meditate and how. So its a good recommendation as well.

You ask for an answer without links, but I say if you are too lazy to follow a link then you won't get very far with any explanation offered here. Also though I offered specific reads they certainly aren't the only useful reads out there. The first attempts at meditation I can recall doing where in grade school I was reading Kreskin's book on how to expand the powers of the mind. Pretty cheesey shit but I think it laid a foundation for future growth. So go to the library and if you find anything related to meditation that jives well with you, go with it. It would be even greater to find a personal teacher but I've never gone and done that. Yoga classes would probably be great too.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1228259 - 01/18/03 05:42 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've never really been able to get into non-specific eyes closed free yourself from reality type meditation.But I do use music(writing music for the piano) , art(oil painting),And other creative means to shut myself off from the outside for awhile.Switching over to a creative mode helps me focus.I did not learn these things until I was older and they have helped me alot.Try something creative.

--------------------
-----------

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Meditation [Re: sirreal]
    #1228589 - 01/18/03 08:51 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I sit, and breath...focus on my thought's and where they come from..Then concentrate on keeping my mind still...

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1228882 - 01/18/03 11:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

meditation is a very mysterious thing for me...

it's still difficult for me to reach a state of 'meditation'. I find I go through waves of being able to concentrate and then not.
if i concentrate on meditating then I usually cant. Wanting any state of mind is still concious thought, and is all messy and polluted with the rest of your everday internal babble.

One excercise I stumbled upon is actually tring to think of all these different things one after the other and then just let them fade out of your mind. Just picture blackness. Nothingness.
Then you become silent
and your subconscious begins to
emerge
and whisper beautiful things to you.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1229620 - 01/18/03 05:02 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I have no stress in my life because of medatation (and my own personal philosophy).

A little while after a deep medatation a while back- I felt as if I was high on some sorta chill-out drug or something. I could think a lot clearer and the effects lasted for about a week! After that, I got used to the way my mind was while 'high on medatation' and I didn't feel I needed to do more medatation.

I do medatate every so-often thow (for different reasons), as well as medatate/attempt oob before bed.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Edited by Murex (01/18/03 05:03 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder