Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineUwase
The Untitled One
Male

Tips For Insomnia
    #12051015 - 02/17/10 10:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, so I've been a pretty bad insomniac most of my life... For whatever reason, ever since I was a small child sleep has constantly evaded me, staying up for days on end and finally crashing--though the crashing doesn't last that long...

The effects of this over the years has caused a lot of pain in my appendages somehow... like I can feel my veins hurting. When I do sleep, I find that this pain goes away. Also, my mind is always... on "edge"... this has had benefits at times--all through school I was able to achieve mentally beyond the rest of the class, ever alert, especially on academic teams and such--but I still want some sleep... Because I feel so dead sometimes, and night time is starting to get really boring.

I also have this issue where my heart feels... pressured... and I think it's linked to the sleep. I also have violent turrets-like twitches 20 to 30 times per day, depending on sleep. These have been major problems (particularly when I was in school) because they come at random times and can be violent enough to break a glass if I'm holding it...

Now that I'm in college it's just embarrassing.  I have been to doctors, but I do not trust their medications (I'm not paranoid, I just KNOW :wink: )... Their explanation for the twitches at least is that my body thinks it is dying a lot and sends adrenaline through me to keep me "alive"... I am also an avid martial artist, if that has anything to do with it :/

At any rate, what I'm asking is... What kind of herbs would help me sleep, that I could semi-regularly that won't be that adversely effective? I used to use a lot of white sage and sweetgrass to calm a bit, but it only goes so far... As useful as pulling the occasional triple-shift security (72 hours) may be, I'd like to get some regular pattern going, particularly for my studies' sake...

I've used liquid Salvia to get to sleep... seemed to work, but can also be mentally taxing when the repeated, "please just STOP!" patterns kick in.. I thought that with those results, since salvia is an ethnobotanical, to get some others... so I have some amanita muscaria and kratom on the way (will those help any?).. So, what are some others that would help?

edit: Also, I'm caffeine intolerant and stay away from sugar--there's nothing going into me that should be keeping me this way.

Edited by Uwase (02/17/10 10:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: Uwase]
    #12052785 - 02/18/10 09:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Uwase said:
....At any rate, what I'm asking is... What kind of herbs would help me sleep, that I could semi-regularly that won't be that adversely effective? I used to use a lot of white sage and sweetgrass to calm a bit, but it only goes so far... As useful as pulling the occasional triple-shift security (72 hours) may be, I'd like to get some regular pattern going, particularly for my studies' sake...

I've used liquid Salvia to get to sleep... seemed to work, but can also be mentally taxing when the repeated, "please just STOP!" patterns kick in.. I thought that with those results, since salvia is an ethnobotanical, to get some others... so I have some amanita muscaria and kratom on the way (will those help any?).. So, what are some others that would help?

I highly suggest trying Valerian Root and Kava. Or a tincture/extract of these....

I've had great results with Valerian by itself in the past...

But for when i want something a bit stronger....I've paired up Valerian with some Kava extract, Chamomile tea, 2mg of Melatonin, and a little bit of smoked cannabis and it's pretty effortless to fall asleep...You might have some interesting dreams with these herbs as well.

I hear Kratom can have stimulating effects to a certain degree depending on dosage...

Mixing a small amount of Amanita muscaria with a sleepy time combo, such as the one i mentioned above, might be something to experiment with. But again, i could imagine you will experience some very very interesting dreams from this...

good luck....

--------------------

OfflineUwase
The Untitled One
Male

Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: openmind]
    #12053285 - 02/18/10 11:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, I don't mind the dreams.. When I do sleep, my dreams are pretty jacked up anyway and nearly always lucid. I'll definitely look into some of those...

I've hear some people mention Kratom as a sedative and others as a stimualnt, so I figured I might as well try it.. And I have some Chamomile on the way with the amanita muscaria..

Offlinedrewmandan
Stranger
Male

#12053328 - 02/18/10 11:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Insomnia is a symptom, not a disease. If you want to beat it, you have to find out what's causing the insomnia, and then cure that. Some words that immediately pop into mind are:

Depression
Anxiety
Substance Abuse
Something in your diet?
Stress factors at home or at work

...Or, you could just skip all the Nature Valley crap and take a benzo.

OfflineUwase
The Untitled One
Male

Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: drewmandan]
    #12053434 - 02/18/10 11:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

True.. We all have problems, I have my own fair share that I don't feel the need to elaborate on, but most are things I can't change at this point. If I can utilize some herbs to sleep when I need to and quite randomly lashing out and shattering glasses in my hand, then I'm going to try it.

OfflineSlash
cool story, bro
Male
    #12055465 - 02/18/10 05:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I get insomnia too.  No herbs really help me.  It got worse with drugs/alcohol and when I used melatonin I got even less after a while.  I usually still use it, but break the pill up in quarters and keep it to once a week or less.

I guess exercise is my only suggestion.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: Slash]
    #12055765 - 02/18/10 06:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Uwase said:
Oh, I don't mind the dreams.. When I do sleep, my dreams are pretty jacked up anyway and nearly always lucid. I'll definitely look into some of those...

I've hear some people mention Kratom as a sedative and others as a stimualnt, so I figured I might as well try it.. And I have some Chamomile on the way with the amanita muscaria..

My dreams also tend to be lucid almost every night....When ever i take Valerian, Kava, or melatonin i can expect my dreams to be turned up a notch, and even more lucid than normal...And i also hear Amanita muscaria can have a dramatic effect on dreams, so enjoy :thumbup:...I love the dream world.

I have yet to try Kratom my self, but supposedly in small doses it has a stimulating effect, as the dose increases the stimulating effects aren't as pronounced...

Quote:

drewmandan said:
...Or, you could just skip all the Nature Valley crap and take a benzo.

True. Wouldn't want to become dependant on a benzo though. But when needed they sure can do the job....

Though not as strong, Valerian actually acts similar to a benzo.

Quote:

Slash said:
..........and when I used melatonin I got even less after a while.  I usually still use it, but break the pill up in quarters and keep it to once a week or less....

Yes, i forgot to mention. If you're going to use melatonin, less is more.

Most melatonin supplements out there are 3mg-5mg. You don't really need that much, like Slash said, split the pills in 1/4s or 1/3s.

To much melatonin will actually be counter effective and can keep you awake...

--------------------

Offlineaghorrorag
NonExistent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: openmind]
    #12055787 - 02/18/10 06:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Go run for 5 miles and tell me you can't sleep that night after you've had some chamomille tea.

--------------------
My entire Life is defined by this link. I beg of you to read: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tsafir-kamel/a-compassionate-message-for-jews-and-christians/10150614597334779

Offlinedrewmandan
Stranger
Male

Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: aghorrorag]
    #12056442 - 02/18/10 07:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

aghorrorag said:
Go run for 5 miles and tell me you can't sleep that night after you've had some chamomille tea.

Indeed.

Also, a regular sleep schedule will enhance sleep during the designated hours of the day and improve wakefulness during the rest of the day. You should try going to bed at a certain hour every night, even if you're just lying there awake. After a week or two of this, it will begin to work.

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#12059487 - 02/19/10 11:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Weed is a lot better for me than the 10mg Ambiens I have.

Do you smoke weed?

OfflineFreakdaddy
Trusted
 User Gallery

Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: rod]
    #12059498 - 02/19/10 11:29 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Melatonin 4mg, about 45min before you want to sleep.  Then lay down and close your eyes.  The next thing you know, it will be 8hrs later and you'll feel like a human being.  :thumbup:

OfflineWalterShabas
Male

Loc: Middle West
Re: Tips For Insomnia [Re: drewmandan]
    #12059552 - 02/19/10 11:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

drewmandan said:
Quote:

aghorrorag said:

Indeed.

Also, a regular sleep schedule will enhance sleep during the designated hours of the day and improve wakefulness during the rest of the day. You should try going to bed at a certain hour every night, even if you're just lying there awake. After a week or two of this, it will begin to work.

--------------------
Push th' little daisies and make 'em come up.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf