Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Kava Kava, Melatonin, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJabbawaya

Insomnia... help...
    #4541163 - 08/16/05 04:44 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

For the past few months (I don't really know how long for sure, everything's a blur now) I've been suffering from insomnia. Every night it takes me about 1-5 hours to fall asleep and I periodically wake up during the night (usually once or twice). Once I finally fall asleep I wake up early the next morning, unable to sleep in. Needless to say, I'm miserable.

This has reached the point now where it's pretty much destroying my life. I'm going to talk to a psychologist tomorrow but I'm still very worried. I just don't know what to do. I almost dread the night now because it means I have to suffer from being unable to sleep. I'm out of ideas and feel hopeless.

If anyone has been through something like this and can share some advice, it would help a lot. Thanks.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePreparationH
apply daily
 User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4541186 - 08/16/05 04:53 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

yup, i feel you i have the same problem, well i dont think its a problem to me but i pretty much sleep once night and have energy for 2 days and cant sleep in between at all. if you can't get to sleep and aren't tired, then don't sleep, easy as that, but if you have to smoke some weed.

OfflineEarthAngel
Tripper

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: PreparationH]
    #4541368 - 08/16/05 07:18 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

try sum 5htp

OfflineNosferatuMan
Stranger
Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: EarthAngel]
    #4543335 - 08/16/05 08:05 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe try some diphenhydramine for the time being...? Until you get something more suitable by the doc that is.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: NosferatuMan]
    #4543340 - 08/16/05 08:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

A bit dramatic, but if you take some valium or a small amount of xanax, when the effects wear off it will knock you out real good.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

Offlinemoonsnail
Stranger
Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: Cubieman420]
    #4543515 - 08/16/05 08:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hi Jabbawaya,

I can relate to your insomnia. I have suffered from it many times.

What has worked very well for me has been flower essences and accupressure techniques. Flower essences (not the essential oils) are solutions of water that contains the vibration or frequency of different flowers. When you take the drops of these flower essences they harmonize your mind and emotions. In fact each flower cures a specific emotional pattern (because thought is energy, too.). I have used WHITE CHESTNUT (Bach Flower company) for insomnia with great results. This is because WC helps people who worry too much, or have difficulty turning off their minds to sleep or concentrate. It is great for me because I tend to obsess. WC helps me to clear my mind and allows me to actually chose what I want to think instead of feeling at the mercy of my mind.

Another thing that has changes my life has been the book ENERGY MEDICINE, by Donna Eden. This book contains simple exercises to use on yourself to change your energy patterns (there's that word again:energy). It's amazing how your moods and habits change when you balance your energy fields and meridians. One of the most helpful exercises for me in the book was learning how to sedate (turn down) the TRIPLE WARMER meridian. TRiple Warmer meridian is in charge of the fight or flight response in the body. Donna believes that in our society everyone's TW meridian is overactive because it is not equipped, nor can it identify, all of the stresses, chemicals, and toxins that we exerience in our daily life. When TW is overactive, the body is on alert and we don't feel safe. When I learned to sedate this energy meridian (tracing the meridian backward with my fingers), I was able to sleep through the night without interuption and very deeply. TW also steals energy from the Spleen meridian, which is the meridian in charge of digesting our thoughts and experiences. (My intuition tells that White Chestnut has an effect on the the Spleen meridian for this reason).

Anyway, the book is priceless and allows you to learn how to take control of your life, and untangle a lot of inner chaos without the use of drugs.

I wish you well.

Blessings,

Moonsnail

OfflineD00B
Stranger

Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: moonsnail]
    #4543605 - 08/16/05 09:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Iv'e had Insomnia since I was a kid...Most of the prescription drugs they give for insomnia gives you a headache the next morning or just makes you feel to wierd...

My suggestions are try a blend of any of the following herbs as a tea:

Valerian
Hops
Skullcap
Passionflower
Dandelion
Chamomille
Marshmellow
Hawthorn
Catnip
Wood Betony
Hop Strobile

Valerian is one of the best to use...Studies have shwon it improves overall sleep at night and prolongs stage 3 REM sleep....

Some of the rest are nervines that when combined with sleep aids help dramatically for trying to get to sleep when you can't....

If your not into the tea thing so much I highly suggest the pill "Sleep" Blend SP-17 made by Solaray....Gives you more of a body buzz and gets rid of headaches and anxiety. It works great take about 3 pills of it and it'll knock you out with no negative effects the next morning.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: D00B]
    #4543684 - 08/16/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

you can try melatonin supplements.

what i think works best ( i haven't tested too much ) is if you take half the recommended dose 2 hours before you want to go to bed, then the other half one hour before, then an additional one upon lying down.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

OfflineD00B
Stranger

Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: leery11]
    #4543849 - 08/16/05 10:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

O yea I forgot about Melatonin...

It works better for waking up while sleeping...kinda like a more of a calming sleep...It's been known to work great for jet lag...But if you have severe insomnia, it might work better in conjuntion with other herbs.  It's usually used for mild sleep disorders.

It's also an antioxidant, iv'e heard of some studies being conducted on cancer and it's effects to slow the growth of cancerous cells..  Very prominent research:thumbup:

And don't forgot about pot..It's also great as a sleep aid for some people but always take something like Valerian with it.  It tends to deminish stage 3 REM sleep, meaning you'll have less dreams...

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

#4544319 - 08/17/05 12:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

well, i don't know about other people but i can't go to sleep stoned, i go way too deep way too quickly and my mind "kicks me out" into myoclonic jerks and all sorts of nasty things... and then i get sucked right back in unless i get up and engage my mind.
(it's like i just follow thought to thought to thought until they go a little too deep, and i don't really engage in them per se)

--------------------

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......

OfflineD00B
Stranger

#4544538 - 08/17/05 01:05 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It's all dependent on the person...

As with me, my thoughts race none stop when I'm awake and whenever I try to sleep my thoughts race even more. It takes about 3 hours before I finaly begin to doze off. A combination of meditation and herbs have drastically helped me with it.

And as for the pot, it kind of helps slow down those racing thoughts for me. It's like I can actually focus on one thing to do at a time. So it allows me to focus on sleeping and helps clear my head..

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

#4548863 - 08/17/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

edit: i'm giving this method a thumbs up, i'm getting knocked out pretty hard and i think i'm just barely starting to come up... time to lie down with some music.

it feels like going about.... 35 hours without sleep maybe.

here's something i just now did hoping to reset my sleep schedule (go to bed at 11-12 and get up at 8-10 is what i'm hoping to do.

kava - around 1 cup worth of stuff mixed into drink.
+ 15 minutes later 1/2 melatonin dose (500mcg?) taken sublingually then swallowed.
---eventually 1 more melatonin taken the same way.

first of all... i took about a cup worth of kava from bouncingb.com (which is a lot of kava, i didn't have a measuring cup so i just put in a ton of it) and i stuck it in a tupperware container and filled the container with a full bottle of water and then a little bit from another til the tupperware was almost full)

i shook the hell out of it for about 30 seconds... let it sit for about 30 seconds... shook the hell out of it some more... and just kind of waited a bit (not more than a few minutes) for it to saturate.

i then got 3 glasses cleaned and i poured all the stuff into 2 empty glasses, then got a t-shirt and rubber banded it tightly around an empty glass... i then proceeded to pour the concotion into the glass filtering out the tons of solid kava matter via t-shirt... but i kind of messed up and didn't get much filling the first glass ... in total i had a tiny portion of milky substance, and thought that it wouldn't be enough.

i diluted it with a near full bottle of water then drank as much as i could.

and i'll let you know if it messes me up and helps me sleep, i'm feeling like it probably will because even with a full bottle of water diluting it, it's PRETTY STRONG tasting.... the key is to pour very slowly into the shirt filter so plant matter doesn't really fall out in the first place.

but yeah..... this stuff tastes like shit, it might be best to gulp it all down at once then chase it with a few bottles of water.... it's going to be hard to finish off this glass. i feel like i'm kind of getting "stoned" though.

will report on how it helped me sleep later.

--------------------

Edited by leery11 (08/17/05 11:27 PM)

OfflineD00B
Stranger

#4548896 - 08/17/05 11:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Try making Kava Kava tea.  It extracts more of the benificial qualities of the Kava.  Also with the tea try adding either honey, peppermint, or lemon peel to improve the taste.

I hope it works for you. :thumbup:  Insomnia is a very hard and uphill struggle to overcome..

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

#4548955 - 08/17/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

how do you make tea specifically? The only extraction methods I found that seemed easy involved plunging kava wrapped in a shirt and "milking it" (which was kind of .... silly to me, which is why i invented this method)

i'm not an insomniac but thanks all the same... i'm just testing this out to see if knocks you way out and helps you stay out...

my only problem is i have eccentric sleeping patterns that make me waste the day away being asleep, and i have to go back to school next week.

--------------------

OfflineD00B
Stranger

#4549064 - 08/17/05 11:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

here ya go try this out... http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1957

Watch out though when taking heavy doses of Kava...There are very harmful side effects which include blood in urine and rashes to name a few...

check this website for further safety issues regarding Kava:
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h24.htm#Safety

Edited by D00B (08/18/05 02:25 AM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4549198 - 08/18/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Sleep tight! :smile:

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: Gomp]
    #4550953 - 08/18/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Has anyone had any luck with using 5-HTP to treat insomnia? I've been reading a little about it lately and it sounds like it could be helpful, but I'd like to hear about some first-hand experiences if possible.

--------------------

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Loc: east coast
    #4551080 - 08/18/05 12:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i've used it as a mild anti-depressant. dunno about help sleeping though because i was on an eca stack. it worked ok in my case.
pm sent

--------------------

"..the thing is, people are getting hurt and the one thing the meteor shower didn't grace this town with was a superhero. So, in his absense, you're left with me. One girl, on a mission, determined to leave no rock - especially those from outerspace - unturned. My name is Chloe Sullivan, and I'm here to bring you the truth."

Edited by diabla (08/18/05 12:10 PM)

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Insomnia... help... [Re: diabla]
    #4551871 - 08/18/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

well the kava didn't work so well.

mainly i just sort of tripped out mildly... but it was such an odd way of tripping like.... everything was normal but i would get "sucked into" what i was looking at..... and i would experience weird feelings associated with thinking about the past, and looking at my dresser.... and then i had the lights out and my halfway open door scared the hell out of me and i had to turn the lights on...

i don't think i had enough for it to put me to sleep, but this stuff does seem to sort of get you high... i saw timothy leary floating around in my OEVs actually, which were mild and uninteresting and unfocused... but.... it's kind of like weed visuals but a little bit more fluent and stuff.

(I get OEVs sober though in a dark room at bed time anyway)

colors were moderately more vivid... and the high felt "speedy" and otherwise "lucid" not like it's set up in delayed loops like on LSA or weed... but it was incredibly mild and subtle aside from emotions when i had the lights out.

--------------------

Edited by leery11 (08/18/05 04:14 PM)

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4552748 - 08/18/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I have tried many different remedies for sleep problems. The best was a prescription for trazodone, but I didn't like the thought of being on an anti-depressant. As far as otc medicines go:

Kava: sucked. It may have other uses, but as a sleep aid it did nothing for me.

5-HTP: useless. Taking 5-htp right after a mushroom trip really makes me feel great. Almost euphoric. It did not make me feel the least bit sleepy though.

Melatonin: Definitely works. It put me to sleep but as I researched it more thoroughly I found that there are possible negative effects associated with its use. Taking hormones usually results in a down regulation of your bodie's natural production which could cause an even greater problem when you stop taking the melatonin. Do some research on it before hand if you decide to try it.

GABA: This is my personal favorite. GABA is an amino acid and also a neurotransmitter which is produced naturally in your body. Taking it gives you a numbing sort of body buzz and also makes you feel sleepy. It also gives you some interesting dreams which is cool in my book. If you want to order some I suggest bodybuilding.com

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Kava Kava, Melatonin, Valerian Root

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being