Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: hayguyman]
    #11633355 -

Meh, I don't plan on eating them.  Chickens cheap enough and the store that I wouldn't bother doing it myself.


--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: hayguyman]
    #11633366 -

Can't you have hens without having a rooster? I just want the eggs mostly.


--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: Kada]
    #11633391 -

Quote:
Can't you have hens without having a rooster? I just want the eggs mostly.



Just get 2 good chooks and you will have more then enough eggs.

I dunno how much you guys eat, but 2 chooks will give you a solid 14 eggs per week at least.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: hayguyman]
    #11633402 -

hayguyman said:
Oh yea, DONT NAME THEM, cause you'll start to get all mushy when the time comes to chop their head oft



As much as I love the taste of chicken, I think I'd just keep them around for the eggs, rather than slaughtering them and having to buy new ones.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: Silversoul]
    #11633411 -

Quote:
rather than slaughtering them and having to buy new ones.



If you start breeding, you never eat your original egg layers.

My roasters were organic, a full 30 weeks slow grown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: Chubba]
    #11633418 -

I don't think I'd end up getting a rooster.  I doubt my neighbors would appreciate the noise.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: Silversoul]
    #11633708 -

they will lay with or without a rooster.

Chubba, did you ever have to caponize any of them or were they all hens?


--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Edited by Epilson Lyrae (12/11/09 11:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11633717 -

Iv raised chickens and there pretty cool easy animals. I say go for it :thumbup: I grew up around animals like chickens and shit and I think it was great fun.


--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: 2Cents]
    #11633724 -

chickens lay eggs without fuckking a rooster?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: druqs]
    #11633728 -

mycelismymind said:
chickens lay eggs without fuckking a rooster?



yes


--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: 2Cents]
    #11633734 -

so do those eggs not hatch or something?

i'm confused.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: druqs]
    #11633754 -

mycelismymind said:
so do those eggs not hatch or something?

i'm confused.



The eggs wont hatch because they are only empty eggs and no embryo so they would just go bad if someone doesn't eat them.


--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: 2Cents]
    #11633772 -

seems wasteful of a chickens to keep laying if its just poopin' out duds,

but biology, of course, is mad.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: druqs]
    #11633842 -

I have chickens and turkeys or at least had till like a month ago, damn coyotes killed them. I ve only  got 3 left now.  had 15 chickens and 3 turkeys.


But all in all they have to be the easiest damn creatures to take care of. just get them a coop with a heat lamp in it to keep them warm buy a few bags of chicken scratch. and then all you have to do is make sure that they have food and water.

How bigs your property?


--------------------
To fathom hell or soar angelic, Just take a pinch of psychedelic.
-Humphry Osmond

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: lovi]
    #11633865 -

o and if you have small kids dont get a rooster theyre fucking vicious. Mine would run all the way across my pasture just to attack people ( he'd chase you and fly up and try to scratch your face and shit) One time i fell on the ground and it ran at me so i picked up a metal pole and hit it like 6 ft i thought it died (was limp for like a day) but sure enough the fucker was back the next day.


--------------------
To fathom hell or soar angelic, Just take a pinch of psychedelic.
-Humphry Osmond

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: lovi]
    #11633958 -

Yeah, no roosters.  3 year old and rooster = bad i think.

i have 1 acre, so I'm not planning on having a huge batch.  Just enough to give me a dozen or so eggs a week and if I ended up with a few extra to give away.


--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: ShockValue]
    #11633981 -

get like 5 then anything less then that they just look lonely and get a turkey for thanksgiving itll just run around with the chickens


--------------------
To fathom hell or soar angelic, Just take a pinch of psychedelic.
-Humphry Osmond

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: lovi]
    #11634059 -

You don't need a rooster and yes they can be a little vicious.  The rooster's job is to protect the flock and if it sees a child or  a neighbor as an invader it will go after them.  And , they can peck really hard.
Hens don't lay an egg a day.  Some of the commercial breeds get close but even they fall short of 365 a year, that is why there is all the cheap chicken in the stores.
There are some great web sides that have  a ton of info. You can order through the mail.  Try Mc Murray hatchery, I got my Brahmas from them.
They are a nice docile breed.  You can make quite the pet of  a chicken if you handle it  a lot when it is little.  You might think about getting some silkies for your kids.  They are great pets and lay eggs and are about the best brooders.  They come in a few colors and look great pecking around the yard.
You absolutely need to make a run and coop before you get your birds.  Hawks, dogs, racoons, mink ( the worst) and even domestic cats can kill chickens.  My run and coop is wired all six sides because I am close to the water and get mink around.
It is a lot of fun and great for the family.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: loggin shrooms]
    #11634077 -

The black Australorps i had were bred to be egg layers, and like i said, it was safe to count on 2-4 eggs a day, 6 days per week from every chicken in the warmer parts of the year.

However, their laying viability drops as they age (3 years+, i've read.)


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone raise chickens? [Re: loggin shrooms]
    #11634089 -

Yeah I would def get everything all set before I ordered the chicks.  We have Eagles, dogs, racoons and cats around.  Don't think I've ever seen a mink except on the back of a rich old blue blood :smile:


--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cats and Shrooms: An experiment Part II
( 1 2 3 all )
jimsuzo 7,733 49 04/03/04 11:34 PM
by bert
* Man raised by chickens. tomu 1,300 10 07/11/04 04:28 PM
by OldSpice
* Babie chickens :-)
( 1 2 all )
G a n j a 6,579 30 02/13/03 11:10 PM
by AJ420
* chicken flavored crackers Phychotron 1,245 13 08/14/04 03:42 AM
by stefan
* Two Experiences With Two Asian Women Ped 3,098 17 06/26/03 08:38 AM
by Ped
* Caffeine user experiment PjS 2,276 18 01/19/03 03:28 PM
by Bavet
* Question about IAMSHAMAN products ShroomFan 1,063 9 08/06/04 02:15 PM
by Fade_To_Black
* Fresh vs. Dried - Experiences? SoulSurfer 772 3 09/03/04 04:07 PM
by SoulSurfer

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,850 topic views. 3 members, 22 guests and 112 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.