Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
The "tail-devourer"...
    #1158352 - 12/20/02 02:25 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

About a year ago I had an experience on mushrooms in which I was shown some sort of serpent swallowing itself; it had the most powerful presence I've ever felt, and communicated such things to me as "I am the Universe itself", and "to devour (or destroy) is to sustain existence", "good and evil are just representations of necessary perspectives that keep life going", etc... It felt male in nature... The funny thing is, I had never seen this symbol (that I am consciously aware of) anywhere, before my experience. I wrote a trip report about it a long time ago, and Markos told me it was called the "Ouroboros" by Greeks. Come to find, this symbol exists many, many places as far back as ancient Egypt. Coincidence? Carl Jung wrote about this symbol as an archetypical being inside our own minds... Could this also be the origin of so many myths of the "serpent in the Garden", or a Lucifer-type figure such as Quetzacoatl? Is it also a coincidence that our own DNA is shaped in a double helix, the same shape that has been around since Egyptian times as the caduceus? I don't think so. I think that this symbol has a very deep meaning to our subconscious. I also think this is related to what many call kundalini energy, as in the serpent rising from the base of the spine upwards out the top of the head to shower an individual in a fountain of divine energy, symbolized by Christian mythology as a halo around the head.

papyrus of Dama Heroub
Egypt, 21st Dynasty

From a 15th century Greek alchemical text

The "tail-devourer" is the symbolization of concepts such as completion, perfection and totality, the endless round of existence, etc. It is usually represented as a worm or serpent with its tail in its mouth.

During the 21st dynasty of Egypt, this symbol was used to portray the zodiac as a tail-eating snake (Ouroboros) symbolizing the eternity of Time and the boundry of the universe. This parallels mythology seen in ancient Japan, the Aztec civilization, various South American & African tribes, and Nordic & Celtic societies.

The ouroboros has several meanings interwoven into it. Foremost is the symbolism of the serpent biting, devouring, eating its own tail. This symbolises the cyclic Nature of the Universe: creation out of destruction, Life out of Death. The ouroboros eats its own tail to sustain its life, in an eternal cycle of renewal.

In the above drawing, from a book by an early Alchemist, Cleopatra, the black half symbolises the Night, Earth, and the destructive force of nature, yin. the light half represents Day, Heaven, the generative, creative force, yang.
Alchemically, the ouroboros is also used as a purifying glyph.

The world snake, Ouroboros, swallowing its own tail, expresses the essence of Gnostic esotericism. It is both an amulet against suffering and a representation of the cosmos, "the circle of eternal becoming," often seen with the words "One is the All."

...Funny how I obtained this meaning from my experience FIRST, and then validated it afterwards through researching it. I admit I may have seen the symbol somewhere and not realized it consciously, but I can gaurantee that I've never read of the meaning it represents... Yet, that is the meaning I gained from it.

Things like this show me that there are things in the mind and in the universe that cannot be rationally explained.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: Adamist]
    #1158422 - 12/20/02 03:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1158465 - 12/20/02 03:28 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I wrote an abstract poem/story with that snake thing (represented) in it before I had seen or heard about this 'snake eating it's tail' thing.

:tongue:

I have died
and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Edited by Murex (12/20/02 03:29 PM)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: Murex]
    #1159810 - 12/21/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i saw this connection b/w your two stories :smile: . it IS all engrained in us.... :smile:

*lad d ad lad ddlaa la la dee da*

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1159819 - 12/21/02 07:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

he is a donut  :ooo:  :smile: donuts are good, but i wouldnt risk a dual with a dualing donut. no no no you dont know what kinds of trouble you could get yourself into. especially with the scyzo snakes that get in your head and then you think two opposing thoughts in your head at once, and it feels like its going to POP. but if you can let the donut roll in the cosmic play, it might feel really damn good and you might be free :smile: .

--------------------
What?

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1160011 - 12/21/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

It is interesting to note that the 19th century German chemist named Kekule dreamed of a snake with its tail in its mouth one day after dosing off. He had been researching the molecular structure of benzene, and was at a stop point in his work until after waking up he interpreted the dream to mean that the structure was a closed carbon ring. This was the breakthrough he needed.

Also, I read somewhere that Francis Crick, the discoverer of the shape of DNA, had a dream before he came up with the idea about two serpents intertwined, which has long been a mythological symbol since the times of ancient Egypt. Coincidence that this "symbol" is also the same shape of DNA itself? Maybe.  :tongue: 

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1160225 - 12/21/02 11:20 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

also the symbol for health right? the two intertwined snakes around that cross?

--------------------
What?

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
    #1160621 - 12/21/02 03:28 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've never before this time seen a picture of a snake devouring itself, however it is a perfect visual representation of what I beleive the nature of the existance to be. Thanks for posting.

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

OfflineMystrysAbsynth
emotional RETARD

#1160624 - 12/21/02 03:29 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You mean the caduceus?

~K~

--------------------
Try not to let your mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: MystrysAbsynth]
    #1161530 - 12/22/02 05:00 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

lol i guess so, i dont know what it is called. thanks for telling me though :smile: .

--------------------
What?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1161578 - 12/22/02 05:25 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, the medical profession selected the wrong symbol. The single serpent on a staff is the object that Moses uses to heal in the OT. The Caduceus of the Roman Mercury, Greek Hermes and Egyptian Thoth, may well hail from ancient India as the symbol for the Kundalini (Serpent Power) pathways up the Ida (Lunar channel), Pingala (Solar Channel), and Sushumna (Central channel); criss-crossing at five chakra points and terminating at the wings (the Ajna brow chakra is symbolized by two petals or wings), and surmounted by a sphere (symbolizing the Sahasrara or Crown).

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1161738 - 12/22/02 06:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

:ooo:  :laugh:

--------------------
What?

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1161877 - 12/22/02 08:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

ummmm...
used to be a local/regional band around cleveland calld oroborous... (jim miller & friendsw, ok...) - did some original stuff & some grateful dead covers... nice folks...
~
ummmm...
bukwyrm sez the narrator in robert heinlein's wierd li'l short story "-all you zonbies" (jane, or whatever his name was :wink: ...) wore a ring with that symbol... one wonders if everybody in the time corps got to wear that ring, or just jane (in light of his/her unusual ummm ancestry...)
~
i've always wanted one of those rings... (but i am not my own grampaw...)
~
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflinekREATION1
kяедτιסи1

#1162175 - 12/22/02 11:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
"an immigrant from heaven on earth with a work visa"

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: gnrm23]
    #1163012 - 12/22/02 04:39 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting... Actually a few weeks ago I watched a movie called "City of Lost Children" on DVD, and there's a scene where it shows one of the character's wearing a ring; it showed it so fast I couldn't tell what it was the first time, so I freeze-framed it and it was a snake swallowing itself. Also in that movie are weird Illuminati-type subtleties, such as an "all-seeing eye" surrounded by a triangle...

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: kREATION1]
    #1163131 - 12/22/02 05:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks alot for that link... It tied in alot of different information together in a nice way that I could grasp easier as a whole.

--------------------

OfflineMystrysAbsynth
emotional RETARD

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1163446 - 12/22/02 08:15 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

um...YUP...that's all correct :laugh:

And it's rather interesting that we still have SO many who FEAR the serpent. 
We should all learn to respect and embrace the her...she has much to share if we allow her.

~K~

--------------------
Try not to let your mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself

Invisiblemr crisper

#1163579 - 12/23/02 12:03 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

hi adamist
did you ever consider the snake is spewing out its tail - expanding?
spirals go two ways.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: mr crisper]
    #1164089 - 12/23/02 05:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

No, but that's an interesting way to view it. Kind of reminds me of the beginning of the video of Parabola.  :crazy: 

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: The "tail-devourer"... [Re: MystrysAbsynth]
    #1164133 - 12/23/02 06:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

ive heard so many different interpretation of "the serpent". now im just coming to realize okay some people FUCKED it up. and inserted wrong meanings. duality is bad! but balance and a natural order is good, cause like if you have to totally opposing thoughts in your head constantly it can drive you CR eh ZeeY . but anyway, these links clear things up , ahhhhh *sigh of relief*.

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale