Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Expansion/contraction and demonic possession.
    #11630697 - 12/11/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Single celled organisms basically either expand into their environment or contract to avoid it. Really we do the same. If we feel calm and relaxed we are confident and expand into our environment. When afraid we contract and close ourselves off.

Now if, lets say, in those formative years you experienced too much contraction through a very anxiety creating dysfunctional environment, you might find yourself with a default setting of contraction. You really can't fully expand anymore because some part of you is somewhat permanently set in contraction. Now this would operate below conscious levels most of the time imo.

So you are in a situation were you want to expand and you feel you are doing the right things but you are contracting instead.:confused: You don't know why, everything feels out of control. It's as if some outside force was influencing you.

Now think about the idea of Demonic possession. Wouldn't it make sense that some people would feel like they were possessed by dark forces. The contraction being unconscious and automatic you wouldn't have a clue as to why you couldn't have the experience that your conscious mind was trying to direct.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Expansion/contraction and demonic possession. [Re: Icelander]
    #11630995 - 12/11/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

for comparison with humans
i prefer to use the worm analogies.
and i think it is important to understand peristalsys, the rhythmic contraction and relaxation as it finds its way along
leaving a gooey slime trail

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Expansion/contraction and demonic possession. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #11631336 - 12/11/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What?

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#11631382 - 12/11/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

what?

--------------------

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
    #11631458 - 12/11/09 04:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I understand the premise.  This kind of early developmental experience alters the brain chemistry. And as you can imagine, this has a detrimental effect.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#11631462 - 12/11/09 04:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You know I could just snap at any time. It will be on your shoulders. :nono:

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #11631479 - 12/11/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i...

magree

that's an "I maybe agree"

what?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Expansion/contraction and demonic possession. [Re: C.M. Mann]
    #11631486 - 12/11/09 04:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

C.M. Mann said:
I understand the premise.  This kind of early developmental experience alters the brain chemistry. And as you can imagine, this has a detrimental effect.

I often thought I was possessed. I came from that fundy family I described. When I finally grokked the psychological factors at play the haunting basically ceased. But that's all that's changed in the situation. I still often feel that unconsciously I work for the opposite of what I tell myself I want.

--------------------

InvisibleTropism
ChasingTail

#11631660 - 12/11/09 05:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I still often feel that unconsciously I work for the opposite of what I tell myself I want.

Like how when trying to avoid driving into the pole, people often seem to veer right into it.

Quote:

Now this would operate below conscious levels most of the time imo.

The search to understand this is something I find worth in living for; the hope to at one point have a full grokking of my psychological functioning. :grin:

'Tis a pipe dream, me thinks. :sherlock:

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

#11631688 - 12/11/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The problem is that once the chemistry is altered, it's also altered down the line as you age.  Memory is important not only to remember, but to forget. There is so much information going into the brain, that the brain has to forget much of it to stay in balance. When you step into a subway, you don't need to remember everyone and every thing. So your brain chooses what to remember and what to forget. The same with the eye. There is so much information, that the brain chooses what is going to be in the images you see.  The retina is made up of the same cells, as parts of the brain.  They have found a special family of receptors on the underside of the brain. A pair of these receptors only accepts delta nine cannabinoids. They have just started working with this molecule in the area of traumatic stress.  I think having an early experience with hallucinogens gave both you and I a chance to self evaluate, and try to compensate.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#11631762 - 12/11/09 05:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I agree. LSD gave me a shock that worked to a small degree. I then had a chance imo. Without that I often think I would either have been in prison or a suicide. Maybe both.

So your brain chooses what to remember and what to forget

And what would the brain be most likely to choose to remember and forget? The emotionally charged issues of course. Survival is at stake. Or at least that is what the brain believes.

--------------------

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

#11631927 - 12/11/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think to a degree the brain lets you choose what to remember and forget. As you age the brain is being programmed on what is important to your survival, emotional and physical. This gets mixed in with the DNA information, and gene history. I was always taught that the eyes worked like a camera, and the brain just displays the image as it comes in.  Well the eyes do work like a camera, but the brain doesn't. There is so much information coming in to the brain, that it chooses what's important and leaves out the rest. The images are sent to more than thirty areas of the brain.

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

#11631959 - 12/11/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

it's true down to the molecular level about the emotions and brain remembering. emotions release adrenaline which hits those adrenaline receptors in the brain enhancing ltp i think this has been shown in hippocampus and amygdala. maybe noradrenaline.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#11632105 - 12/11/09 07:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

C.M. Mann said:
I think to a degree the brain lets you choose what to remember and forget. As you age the brain is being programmed on what is important to your survival, emotional and physical. This gets mixed in with the DNA information, and gene history. I was always taught that the eyes worked like a camera, and the brain just displays the image as it comes in.  Well the eyes do work like a camera, but the brain doesn't. There is so much information coming in to the brain, that it chooses what's important and leaves out the rest. The images are sent to more than thirty areas of the brain.

eyes not quite like cameras, but they have lenses and photo to neural transducers (rods and cones)
consequently neural activity from parts of images is sent to multiple locations (also true) -
then the waves interact, they make interference patterns.

then electrical to neural transducers are involved (seeing the interference peaks) feeding back into brain and linking all the activated parts of the brain - this is the engram - the magic of memory, the fixation of the moment of each gestalt, into a thing that can be resurrected in mind later - triggered by similarities in other experiences or memories.

oddly then you could say that the brain is a bit like a big retina, this transduction of detected peak electrical thresholds feeding back into brain to link together those activated neurons which are responsible for the interference which makes the distributed peak thresholds of energy.
in this way
brain is like an eye
a big eye looking at all electrical activity in itself.

later if any part of any momentary pattern is re-excited, the rest is likely to come forth since the distributed pattern has been linked by something like interference feedback resonance.

in this way visual info gets linked with somatic and with other co-temporal events including recollections, sounds and feelings (i.e. pleasure, pain and indifferent)

as for demonics, that comes with deja vu, and the whole frame stacking thing of mind state phlanging persistence, overlapped moments and the spawning off of independent thinking selflets.

the more stoned emotional or dreamy you are the more likely you can spawn off independent thinking selflets and then imagine them as demons.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#11632217 - 12/11/09 07:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the more stoned emotional or dreamy

That's me all right.:lol:

--------------------

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11632235 - 12/11/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What?

I read something about an experiment where some people played some airplane simulation. First at real time, then with a slight delay, then again at real time. On playing the game on real time (post getting used to playing with a delay) they described the 'plane' moving before they told it to, with their hand following the plane's movement. Does this sound anything like what you had experienced?

I'll see if I can dig up the reference to the above experiment. I was googling it and catching nada. I want to say it's from "DMT the Spirit Molecule", but that just doesn't sound right.

--------------------
semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

Sclerotia FAQ... If ya ain't got any stones, grow some.

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Ghetto Tek: Auto FAE & Light

OfflineFreedom
Male User Gallery

#11632262 - 12/11/09 07:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

C.M. Mann said:

even the eyes are not like the camera

The eyes contain the retina, and the retina is already processing all kinds of information - lines, distinguishing foreground objects from background objects, movement and other stuff - even the eye is performing incredible mathematical manipulations to the visual information.

Invisibleawesomebastard
Lost
Male User Gallery

#11632310 - 12/11/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
for comparison with humans
i prefer to use the worm analogies.
and i think it is important to understand peristalsys, the rhythmic contraction and relaxation as it finds its way along
leaving a gooey slime trail

Quote:

Icelander said:
What?

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
what?

OMG I almost shit my pants.:laugh:

--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser

Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Expansion/contraction and demonic possession. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11632395 - 12/11/09 07:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Way to diminish the idea of demonic possession to some lame psychological process.  Now Lucifer's all pissed.  :satansmoking:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineFreedom
Male User Gallery

#11632424 - 12/11/09 07:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Now if, lets say, in those formative years you experienced too much contraction through a very anxiety creating dysfunctional environment, you might find yourself with a default setting of contraction. You really can't fully expand anymore because some part of you is somewhat permanently set in contraction. Now this would operate below conscious levels most of the time imo.

what makes you think that people on philosophy forum on the internet would be able to understand this example? :blush:

I always thought the demon angel ghost alien reptilian thing has to do with our ability to create character's for social interaction, for use with the theory of mind. For example I have a sense of a being called Icelander in my mind and before typing to this being I imagine what their response would be to the words I send and this acts like a feedback loop to tailor my response to what makes most sense. hmmm this might be what's wrong with the internet because I just I lied, I don't do this on the internet just with real people in real life but that's just a side track...

so my guess is the demon thing is a whacked out version of this thing we do all the time for social interaction, where we can't distinguish our internal representation from external reality.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom