Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

Addiction to intoxication... what to do?
    #11498121 - 11/21/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've overcome a couple addictions in my life; one to tobacco and one to heroin.  However, I find myself unable to get rid of a general addiction to getting intoxicated.  Be it booze, weed, or whatever other substances I have available, I find myself compelled to use them rather than remain sober.  My general thought process goes something along the lines of the realization that it feels better/more euphoric/less monotonous to get high rather than to stay at baseline.  Obviously this is not psychologically healthy, but I find it hard to argue against the ingestion of something that will make me feel better than normal.

Anyone else experience this?  What's the best way to move beyond this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrew1084
Stranger

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #11498168 - 11/21/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I also had battled addiction to heroin three years ago. Thank god i'm still clean but I can't find it in me to give up alcohol. I stopped drinking hard liquor because of all the trouble it was getting me into. Since then I've only had beer which has made my life 100% easier but it doesn't solve the addiction. I know this isn't much help but I thought i'd chime in with the problems I've been through and am still going through.

If you really want to give it all a boot, meetings were helping me tremendously when I was giving up heroin and I could see it helping just as much for alcohol and weed. Just my 2 cents and I hope things getter better for ya!

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11498187 - 11/21/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I can totally relate.

I remember times when I ran out of real drugs I would dig through my house and find some salvia, wild dagga, Robitussin or something else just to catch a little buzz. Hell, Id even scrape resin if I had to.
About the only thing I wouldnt resort to is uppers and inhalants.

Ive overcome tobacco and cocaine addiction in the past.
Booze is what Im trying to tackle right now and it is by far the most destructive and consuming of my current addictions. I am currently going through withdrawals again. I typically sober up for a month and drink for a month.

If I could get powerful opiates on a regular basis Id likely have a huge problem with those.
It's easier for me to find coke, weed or even LSD in this city than opiates.

Anonymous #1

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #11498231 - 11/21/09 11:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

drew1084 said:
If you really want to give it all a boot, meetings were helping me tremendously when I was giving up heroin and I could see it helping just as much for alcohol and weed.

What is said at these meetings that was helpful?

Quote:

MisterMuscaria said:
Booze is what Im trying to tackle right now and it is by far the most destructive and consuming of my current addictions.

QFT.  It's legal, cheap, and euphoric.  Therein lies the problem.

Quote:

MisterMuscaria said:
If I could get powerful opiates on a regular basis Id likely have a huge problem with those.

Yeah, having access to a steady supply of high quality heroin was what did it for me.  I suppose technically opiates are worse than alcohol in that they're pretty harmless if pure and dosed with the proper ingestion method so there's very little reason to give them up, unlike Korsakoff's syndrome and cirrhosis of the liver as found in alcoholics.

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#11498253 - 11/21/09 11:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Unfortunately, the only thing that breaks the cycle for me, is going broke. :sad:

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: BothHands]
    #11498271 - 11/21/09 11:44 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Unfortunately even that doesn't work for me and many others.

We will go to the ends of the earth to come up with a few more bucks to remain intoxicated.

OfflineSolemente
Male

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #11498531 - 11/21/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I don't need to be intoxicated 24/7, but I don't think I'll ever stop using alcohol/drugs. They have become too much apart of me to let them go.

At least I don't overuse anything really. I used to all the time, but have learned to control my intake pretty well.

I care too much about my health to let myself slip up too bad.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #11499337 - 11/21/09 03:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Obviously this is not psychologically healthy,

Are you sure? Why are you sure?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Anonymous #1

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: Icelander]
    #11499451 - 11/21/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Because I feel unhappy that I am controlled by my desires.

Anonymous #2

#11499483 - 11/21/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I am having the same problems and it is slowly but surely ruining my life I have been drunk every night for at least a month or so now and I would say 20/30 days a month I am high on some sort of opiates

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: Solemente]
    #11500250 - 11/21/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Solemente said:
I don't need to be intoxicated 24/7, but I don't think I'll ever stop using alcohol/drugs. They have become too much apart of me to let them go.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: demiu5]
    #11500396 - 11/21/09 06:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Do regular exercise, the good feeling from that wil replace the need to artificially stimulate yourself with intoxicants.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: lines]
    #11501274 - 11/21/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well, i was working on a farm for the last 6 months and eating clean, homegrown food.  even when i'm only working out and eating well, i still desire states other than sobriety (i also enjoy working and working out while high)

but thanks for trying :smile:

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: demiu5]
    #11501310 - 11/21/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Me too.
In fact Im both MORE likely to workout while Im high and I do better at work when Im high.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #11501605 - 11/21/09 10:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I say do what you enjoy to do.
If what you enjoy to do begins to be damaging to you, beyond how much you feel you benefit from it, then don't do it anymore. Or for a while.

--------------------

Anonymous #1

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: Shroomism]
    #11501675 - 11/21/09 10:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I don't want to remain completely sober from all drugs but I do want to drastically reduce my frequency of use.  Thanks for the recommendation of exercise; I really need to get back into a good workout routine.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I say do what you enjoy to do.
If what you enjoy to do begins to be damaging to you, beyond how much you feel you benefit from it, then don't do it anymore. Or for a while.

I agree, and I don't want to continue in this repetitive cycle of addiction.  I guess I'm looking for methods to make sobriety more interesting/compelling than getting high, but I'm always sucked back in because temporary euphoria seems more appealing than anything else I could be doing.  :facepalm:

I used to enjoy going for long walks, reading books for hours at a time, and doing martial arts but now I weigh those activities with instant pharmacological gratification and the latter seems to keep winning out.  It's like my frontal cortex is no longer able to make good cost/benefit decisions.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #11502333 - 11/22/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Everything in moderation. If you keep abusing whatever substances just for a cheap fix, eventually they just wont have the same effect. And heroin is pretty hardcore, from my limited experience with it. That's a very slippery slope which I'm sure you are aware of.

Exercise is good. Sunshine and fresh air is good. You can get some great natural highs, from these things.. and good foods and such.
I'm not really one to talk though because I'm a hardcore addict.. nicotine fiend. And a diehard pothead. I stopped giving a fuck though, what other people think.. because it's something I enjoy and it's not hurting anyone else and until it begins to weigh on my health/wallet more than the enjoyment I get out of it then its not a huge problem to me.
But all things in moderation, addiction to anything really isn't usually healthy for long periods of time. I used to be addicted to MMOs..

Basically there's no shame in wanting to alter your consciousness, I think it's pretty much mandatory for a multi-dimensional being.... but there's also no shame in being sober and conscious either. You need both sides of the spectrum.

--------------------

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Re: Addiction to intoxication... what to do? [Re: Shroomism]
    #11503076 - 11/22/09 08:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Haha, those MMOs are seriously almost as addictive as heroin.  I just broke my almost 5 year addiction a few months ago. xD

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order