Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Gyms?... and others?
    #11378014 -

(1)
Habitat:
On mulchy ground next to the pictured (dead) tree.

The pictures should be sufficient, no?
Spore print color: You can see the rust below the one I removed

Bruising:It discolors slightly, but I'd say more brown/black than blue. Does this mean it is totally inactive?

(2)
Habitat:
All around the base of a big oak. Some seemed to be growing from the wood itself, others maybe from the roots.

The pictures show it better than I could describe, including spore color (pink?)Let me know if there is any other information necessary.
No apparent bruising.

(3)
Habitat:Hanging from a fallen tree. 

The pictures show it better than I could describe. Let me know if there is any other information necessary.
No apparent bruising.

Is there any chance this might be dangerous to eat?


(4)
Habitat:
Where does it grow? At the base (off the roots, I believe) of a large oak, I believe.

The pictures show it better than I could describe. Let me know if there is any other information necessary.
No apparent bruising.

Is there any chance this might be dangerous to eat?
(5)
Habitat:
Where does it grow? In really fluffy leaf/pine needle litter
The pictures show it better than I could describe. Let me know if there is any other information necessary.
No apparent bruising.

I didn't take any to print. Can anyone tell by looking at the pics whether or not they are clitocybe nuda?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: LowcountryHunter]
    #11378044 -

1 - not exactly sure, could be pholiota, cortinarius - in fact I would say armillaria if not for the rusty spore deposits.
2 - Clitocybe odora
3 - hericium sp
4 - laetiporus sulfureus
5 - not clitocybe nuda, not exactly sure what it is though


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: Beege]
    #11378070 -

i would say that 1 is probably a gymnopilus sp. And even if it doesnt bruise a noticable blue it could be active.  Out of all the gyms i find a small % even really bruise enough to see.

EDIT: Your laetiporus sulphureus is a choice edible btw, as long as there are no bugs and its not old.


--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

Edited by TheShroomanizer (11/03/09 04:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: Beege]
    #11378202 -

#1 looks like a Gym to me...
#2 doesn't look like Clitocybe odora. Maybe a Entoloma species...
#5 could be an old Blewit...or maybe Lepista irina.
Cool finds.:thumbup:


--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #11378349 -

2 is a Entoloma in the sinuatum group; do not eat it, it's poisonous.
3 is Hericium erinaceus and is a very good edible as is #4 which is Laetiporus cincinnatus.
5 looks to be a Clitocybe species but is not C. nuda, don't eat this one either it's probably poisonous.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11379051 -

Thanks... I only kept 1, 3 and 4. Dinner was yummy.  Any TIs want to share thoughts on my suggested gymnopilus junonius? With no blueing, is it still worth drying and consuming? btw, it is intensely bitter!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: LowcountryHunter]
    #11379057 -

LowcountryHunter said:
Thanks... I only kept 1, 3 and 4. Dinner was yummy.  Any TIs want to share thoughts on my suggested gymnopilus junonius? With no blueing, is it still worth drying and consuming? btw, it is intensely bitter!



I saw what I thought to be a hint of blue.


--------------------
]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: LowcountryHunter]
    #11379105 -

LowcountryHunter said:
Thanks... I only kept 1, 3 and 4. Dinner was yummy.  Any TIs want to share thoughts on my suggested gymnopilus junonius? With no blueing, is it still worth drying and consuming? btw, it is intensely bitter!



Even with bluing one should question eating it...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11379154 -

Heh...Gymnopilus Spectabilis are more potent when they are fresh so i understand.  I was with my friend when he ate 5-7 fresh pins on a subway sandwich, which btw masks the bitterness beautifully.  He described the trip as "mellow and peacful, very natural and slightly different from cubes" psilocybin is not the only active alkaloid in these mushies that you feel affects from.  I would like to hear from more people personally as far as eating dry gyms, because i have never heard of it, and dosages if eaten dry.


--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11379258 -

You can all etibem said:
LowcountryHunter said:
Thanks... I only kept 1, 3 and 4. Dinner was yummy.  Any TIs want to share thoughts on my suggested gymnopilus junonius? With no blueing, is it still worth drying and consuming? btw, it is intensely bitter!



Even with bluing one should question eating it...



Because you question the ID or is there some other reason?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11379816 -

Quote:
Even with bluing one should question eating it...




Why?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11381906 -

So, "You can all etibem" and Alan Rockefeller both dropped a comment but I still don't have a TI opinion on my suspected Gym. It would be my first active (identified) find so I'd hate for it to go down in history a mystery...
Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:
Even with bluing one should question eating it...




Why?



Is there something that I'm missing that interferes with an accurate ID? If you look at the habitat shot there is dead wood everywhere, lots mulched up by woodpeckers or deer antlers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: LowcountryHunter]
    #11391957 -

Gyms are notoriously hard to identify to species unless it is a very common one, i.e. G. spectabilis, G. luteus, G. luteofolius, etc.  Your specimens are undoubtedly Gyms.  The habitat makes me want to say G. sapineus.  If you want a better opinion I would need to examine them under a microscope.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11392439 -

Quote:
Heh...Gymnopilus Spectabilis are more potent when they are fresh so i understand.  I was with my friend when he ate 5-7 fresh pins on a subway sandwich, which btw masks the bitterness beautifully.  He described the trip as "mellow and peacful, very natural and slightly different from cubes" psilocybin is not the only active alkaloid in these mushies that you feel affects from.  I would like to hear from more people personally as far as eating dry gyms, because i have never heard of it, and dosages if eaten dry.



Ill add in for shroonzanier - i mainly find tons of gyms - would you guess?Lol -
They are most active fresh - for sure - but i find it hard to get out hunting and to havet he time to journey on  - - - -  i would recommend at least 8 dry gr per dose - preferably 12- 15 dry gr for a more intense experience - They are indeed "mellow, peacefull, and natural" I often feel the urge to laugh more than on cubes - ive had friends say gyms are wayyyy better than "molly" or "mdma" -- i love to take atleast 12 dry gr-with 2 to 3gr of cubes - and then hit up some spice later on if your able to function yet - - - - the trifecta will simply blow you away:thumbup: gyms add a great body hi to any trip - Im very happy more n more peps have found these yeller lil buggers - More should try them -

-and fresh dried is the best too - but i know they don't last long in storage - after 6months - a year - itd take about a whole dry ounce to feel effects -
I find actually eating the tough dry ones - is the most challenging
Make a ghetto tea - boil or slightly boil 1zip a person in water -  it won't knock you down like some may think - add half a bottle of honey - sprinkle with couple tsp of cinnimon - and you have a very tasty gym slurry - its my fav way to start the journey!! :biggrin:


--------------------
http://

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: sporeRider]
    #11392469 -

Good advice.  :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11393922 -

Thanks gents...how special! For sure safe to consume? just uncertain of potency? (assuming they are active at all...?)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: LowcountryHunter]
    #11394056 -

Yes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11448818 -

Sorry for the gratuitous self indulgent bump but I couldn't contain my joy and excitement over my first active mushroom find! After a tea of the 88g wet I collected, I had an amazing day on my bicycle! Thank you to all of the members of this community who helped educate me and made me feel safe and confident! What a wonderful world!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: LowcountryHunter]
    #11449024 -

Nice trip report bro!! Glad you had fun - gyms are a great experience!!:thumbup:
Great finds bro:super:


--------------------
http://

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gyms?... and others? [Re: LowcountryHunter]
    #11451339 -

Quote:




#1 is a tripping mushroom?  I have been cursing orange mushrooms EVERYwhere, i will have to read more about them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Are My Gyms the Active kind? ColenelForbin 1,067 4 09/23/03 10:35 AM
by Anonymous
* Laughing Gyms in Florida? Am I ready to go? lifeinallday 1,762 5 04/10/11 08:42 PM
by Kaiser
* ID request (possible Gymopilus Spectabilis?)
( 1 2 all )
Scuttles 4,343 30 05/14/08 10:04 PM
by weiliiiiiii
* Earth blessed be. west coast gym. Scrub 1,283 13 10/26/12 02:17 PM
by Scrub
* Info on GYM's OuchITripped 738 3 07/01/04 11:22 PM
by CptnGarden
* g. spectabilis id big gym 578 4 10/04/11 07:44 AM
by big gym
* Gymnopilus spectabilis (big laughing gym) identification.
( 1 2 3 all )
wood man 19,095 54 07/28/11 02:24 AM
by redman1
* some kind of gyms?
( 1 2 3 all )
mattianyb 3,727 46 06/25/09 08:45 AM
by mattianyb

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,051 topic views. 0 members, 11 guests and 39 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.