Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Psychology Today - Creativity article.
    #11351340 -

While I was waiting for a cute hippy chick to sign off of this very computer, I decided to open  Psychology today for a cover article that caught my eye.

Capturing Creativity, featuring photos of a chimp doing artistic things.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200910/capturing-creativity

No chimp for you, but enjoy the rest of it.

Do you think most people really consider themselves as uncreative? That the average joe considers imagination and inventive curiousity as traits only of the painter and the musician?

Also, does anyone know the best way to splice cassete tapes? I'd like to give subsampling with retro media a try after I get my mask finished for Halloween.


--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychology Today - Creativity article. [Re: Wasteland]
    #11351577 -

Hmm, interesting look at creativity through a scientific perspective.  I don't quite agree with all the methods listed for increasing your creativity, it might work for bringing creativity out in people that aren't really in touch with it, but for example, once you are creative, it's not always good try to capture and analyze your creativity, I find it best to just let it flow.  For instance, instead of trying to write a song, I consider it equally if not more important to practise improvisation.  The article seemed very concerned with analyizing creativity, when raw creativity is really the opposite of analysis.

The article also talked about how our schools and society in general may ruin creativity, it reminded of an earlier thread.  I feel that you can look at all these reasons that might lead people to not be creative, but in the end, some people are just more creative than others, or atleast more focused on creativity, and more resiliant to "decreative programming".  We are all unique, and in the end all of our uniqueness is needed, we need creative people, we need scientific people, we need people who don't care much about either one.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychology Today - Creativity article. [Re: Smitington]
    #11351639 -

I fully agree that it is an analytical perspective of the imagination to realization process, but that's mainly because of who the writers and audience of Psychology Today are.

Trying to force creativity is a sure way to weigh the imaginative processes down, yet not taking any consideration towards mental exploration will result in a lack of it.

It's a delicate balance, that I don't think anyone can absolutely master for long periods of time.


--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychology Today - Creativity article. [Re: Wasteland]
    #11351713 -

I think it's a good article, like I said the techniques are probably great for people who aren't really in touch with their creativity.  I often wonder myself why so many people feel they are not creative at all, it seems like such a simple thing.  It might very well be school an society making people think they are not creative.  It's funny, because these people that think they are not creative, are actually very creative, I witness it all the time, in the way they interact with other people, the way they word their sentences, they just think they are not creative when it comes to actually making something.  It could be that this ability to make something does require certain intelligence that not everybody has.  I also feel that part of it is people thinking that there is some right way to be creative, they live within all these rules, and creativity is about not having rules essentially, it's about thinking outside of the box.  How do we get people to think outside of the box?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychology Today - Creativity article. [Re: Smitington]
    #11351804 -

Smitington said:
I think it's a good article, like I said the techniques are probably great for people who aren't really in touch with their creativity.  I often wonder myself why so many people feel they are not creative at all, it seems like such a simple thing.  It might very well be school an society making people think they are not creative.  It's funny, because these people that think they are not creative, are actually very creative, I witness it all the time, in the way they interact with other people, the way they word their sentences, they just think they are not creative when it comes to actually making something.  It could be that this ability to make something does require certain intelligence that not everybody has.  I also feel that part of it is people thinking that there is some right way to be creative, they live within all these rules, and creativity is about not having rules essentially, it's about thinking outside of the box.  How do we get people to think outside of the box?



Cultural perceptions need to be altered.

People are too afraid of being seen as "crazy" for showing any eccentricity. We should all do what our friends and family do, with little variance from their own routines.

I think simplifying and denouncing the talents of the common man is a way to make them more productive capitalists. Our culture is geared for everyone to earn their paycheck so they can be a good consumer and buy a copy of an original creation, from a business that is part of a chain of copies of an original establishment.


--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychology Today - Creativity article. [Re: Smitington]
    #11351813 -

I love art, music, reading but I can draw for shit, not able to make music... Writing is something else, I love writing.

But still, I don't consider myself creative (as in being able to make art or music). I wish I was.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychology Today - Creativity article. [Re: Beanhead]
    #11351851 -

I am saving writing for when I grow old.
I'd like to live it before I portray it.
Right now I am restoring the drawing and simple art skills I gave up on at a young age. (thanks a lot, overzealous post-columbine "guidance counselors". :mad2: )


--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Creative Genius Psilocybeingzz 1,084 5 03/31/07 03:02 AM
by Psilocybeingzz
* Like to drink IPA's? Read this article. OneMoreRobot3021 1,283 9 01/10/08 06:33 PM
by Smackshadow
* creativeness Simisu 1,149 16 11/05/06 09:54 AM
by Prisoner#1
* Article about Psychedelic Meds in "Scientific American" Really interesting! chekUR6 840 8 12/13/07 06:09 PM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* TED: Schools kill creativity Liquid_Dimension 1,067 13 05/13/09 09:33 PM
by jewunit
* Healthy
( 1 2 all )
mlo517 2,626 34 04/06/09 08:37 AM
by OxyEater
* interesting psychology? DistortedEyes 1,396 16 04/12/06 09:38 PM
by danamine
* Excellent Article!!!!! (Marijuana Codes: What stoners can learn from Christians) Psilocybeingzz 1,905 11 04/11/07 09:27 AM
by memes

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
475 topic views. 5 members, 12 guests and 74 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.