Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
placebo question
    #11308518 -

is it illegal for a doctor to give you a placebo drug without your knowledge?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: purified]
    #11308534 -

Yes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: purified]
    #11308535 -

maybe, maybe not. Depends on the circumstances.
What happened?


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: purified]
    #11308805 -

purified said:
a doctor to give you a placebo drug without your knowledge?



Wait, isn't that the whole point of it?

:lol:


--------------------
Admins can't read graphs.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Morgenstern]
    #11308893 -

Definitely.

Even in a controlled scientific study (in which you're aware you may receive placebo) there are regulations that you wouldn't believe.  It's a little thing called "informed consent", on top of HIPAA regulations.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: badchad]
    #11308982 -

it's not illegal, placebos are given to hypochondriacs frequently

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Morgenstern]
    #11309057 -

Mataspore said:
purified said:
a doctor to give you a placebo drug without your knowledge?



Wait, isn't that the whole point of it?

:lol:




LOL


--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: purified]
    #11312496 -

I believe that all anti-depressants may be placebos. :shrug:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Poid]
    #11312544 -

Poid said:
I believe that all anti-depressants may be placebos. :shrug:



this^^^^


--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Salomon]
    #11312848 -

I was on Zoloft and Wellbutrin for about half a year, and didn't feel shit.


IMO, if you need to take multiple daily doses of a "drug" every day for two weeks or more until the effects of said "drug" kick in, it ain't no fuckin' drug!

:macdre:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Poid]
    #11312879 -

ya pharmys are garbage....

except for maybe the "pain pills"!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11312890 -

Prisoner#1 said:
it's not illegal, placebos are given to hypochondriacs frequently




Let me rephrase.  The use of placebos (in uninformed patients) is forbidden by American Medical Association.

You are correct, in that besides the official position of the AMA, I'm not aware of the legal aspects involved with prescribing placebos.  However, I would imagine that any law firm would have a field day in a medical malpractice suit if a patient were harmed due to receiving a placebo (especially if they weren't informed of it).


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Edited by badchad (10/24/09 03:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: P-O]
    #11312897 -

I'm only against SSRI's, since they apparently seem to merely be just placebos. :shrug:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Poid]
    #11312927 -

Poid said:
I'm only against SSRI's, since they apparently seem to merely be just placebos. :shrug:



So how would you explain all the clinical trials where SSRI's outperform placebo?


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: badchad]
    #11312952 -

I'm saying that SSRI's are placebos; sometimes placebos work, and sometimes they don't.

Maybe the study is just a coincidence. :shrug:


Also, it's interesting to note that the old Zoloft commercials were banned because their business pitch (that depression is caused by an imbalance in neuro-chemicals) was scientifically unsubstantiated. :wink:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: badchad]
    #11314298 -

badchad said:
So how would you explain all the clinical trials where SSRI's outperform placebo?



Semi-related: I once saw pharm company data on a statin trial. Their product showed a dramatic decrease in bad cholesterol.
But the placebo showed a decrease of 6% in bad cholesterol. Six percent.

We should all be taking placebos.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Indubitably]
    #11314808 -

Indubitably said:
Yes



:lol: It wouldn't be a placebo if they told you


--------------------



"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Poid]
    #11314817 -

:lol: It wouldn't be a placebo if they told you
Poid said:
I believe that all anti-depressants may be placebos. :shrug:



if that was true people couldn't test positive for them


--------------------



"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: UnholyChild666]
    #11324462 -

UnholyChild666 said:
:lol: It wouldn't be a placebo if they told you
Poid said:
I believe that all anti-depressants may be placebos. :shrug:



if that was true people couldn't test positive for them


I'm sure they all contain some sort of chemical. :shrug:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: placebo question [Re: Poid]
    #11327219 -

Poid said:
UnholyChild666 said:
Poid said:
I believe that all anti-depressants may be placebos. :shrug:



if that was true people couldn't test positive for them


I'm sure they all contain some sort of chemical. :shrug:



There are usually just sugar


--------------------



"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Best Resonse to a Stupid Persons Stupid Question mjshroomer 2,201 15 03/24/04 06:58 PM
by Che_Night_Soil
* Very OT: Strange question about fire damage and photos... GernBlanston 1,178 4 01/05/04 03:04 PM
by GernBlanston
* -A rather pressing question-
( 1 2 all )
igore 4,184 21 07/31/03 09:19 PM
by Fungushungry
* Quick chemistry question FirstAvailable 1,579 11 04/01/04 06:14 PM
by FirstAvailable
* a few questions about the family :) Vulture 2,218 10 09/01/03 09:47 PM
by Vulture
* Plz help with a .SHN/.WAV related question.. Lightningfractal 1,156 6 01/02/04 09:32 PM
by Lightningfractal
* piercing question ImYourSpedFriend 796 3 12/22/03 02:33 AM
by blackroselove
* Questions about your toilet paper...I have a dilemma
( 1 2 3 all )
MOTH 8,934 57 06/03/04 09:25 AM
by goobler

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,081 topic views. 10 members, 237 guests and 101 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.