Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery

Loc: London Flag
Any alcoholics here?
    #11307138 - 10/23/09 05:59 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I think I may be an alcoholic - or at least I'm well on the way

I don't drink in the morning yet, but I get swaying drunk every night, mostly drinking alone. I don't wanna say how many units in case it turns into a pissing contest, but does this seem familiar to many of you guys?

I don't want to go to the support/depressed/junkies and jakeys forum, just wanted to air my brain

--------------------
buh

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: shirley knott]
    #11307170 - 10/23/09 06:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe? I go in and out of stages. Sometimes I like to get REALLY drunk and just let loose. That way I cant even think about drinking for at least the next few days. Then when I do cave and want a drink, I can only drink a few. Then sometimes I dont drink for a week straight

--------------------

Invisibleelementswrath
Finger' trippin good
Male User Gallery

Loc: suiciety Flag
    #11307176 - 10/23/09 06:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i was a alcoholic at 12 or something like that.:nonono:
it's funny how some people take this illness for granted saying that you can't be addicted or  that it's easy to quit but it's not.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: elementswrath]
    #11307204 - 10/23/09 06:08 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

recovering here. better than being drunk all the time. thats the worst and finally i started seeing that. its the only disease you can have and get yelled at for having.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: ferrel_human]
    #11307222 - 10/23/09 06:12 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I flirt with alcoholism. I've been drunk 5/7 nights this week (4/5 of those were good nights with good people, however), but I don't need a drink to get going in the morning.

I'm on my way to being a 'happy drunk' again, rather than an 'angry, brooding' drunk because of recent changes in my life. Still, I need to cut back. C'est la vie.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Columbus OH Flag
Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Brennus]
    #11307284 - 10/23/09 06:23 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Flirting.  But was drinking almost everyday when i was 17-18.  Now im 20 and i still drink about 3-4 times a week.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineTaco Chef
running good
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
    #11307304 - 10/23/09 06:26 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i'd say i drink every night; some nights its 1 or 2 drinks to fall asleep, sometimes its a lot more to get drunk.

--------------------

OfflineSprezzatura
Virtuoso
Male

Loc: On the Atlantic Ocean
Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Brennus]
    #11307321 - 10/23/09 06:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The whole drink in the morning 'to get going' thing is a popular misconception; people think it's just to get them moving or to wake them up or kick a hangover.

The real reason alcoholics drink a certain amount in the morning, is, what is defined in medical terms as A.W.S. (Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome) which generates far more severe symptoms (In Severe Cases, can cause Death or DTS- Delirium Tremens) than a regular hang over, and when alcohol is resubmitted to the body, the neurotransmitters in the brain re-stabilize and reforms 'Normal' neurological, and involuntary biophysical functions ie. heart rhythms, gas exchanges etc. and quells painful and uncomfortable symptoms such as paranoia, delusions, convulsions, "the shakes", Rapid Heart beat/High Pulse/heart palpitations, nervousness, and other various symptoms.

I'd cut back on drinking alcohol to a moderate degree but I wouldn't worry until you got around to this point.  Eschew binge drinking (waking up and partying again) and heavy drinking whenever you can.

Good Luck.

--------------------
Spectaculorum procedere debet

:mushroom2: :beer:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery

Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11307346 - 10/23/09 06:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, so we all like to drink. But I get drunk 7 nights a week on maybe half a bottle or equivalent each time. Advise me, shroomerites:frown:

--------------------
buh

Invisibleprismism

Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11307348 - 10/23/09 06:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i usually always drink a few beers every night. i never make a scene or get crazy or black out or get arrested or cheat on my girlfriend. it usually results in me falling asleep at ten o'clock.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Invisibleelementswrath
Finger' trippin good
Male User Gallery

#11307350 - 10/23/09 06:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

first off...can you stop freely?

OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: prismism]
    #11307356 - 10/23/09 06:33 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Funny how so many people laughed at my 'Bragging about alcohol' thread.

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Neuron]
    #11307359 - 10/23/09 06:34 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I put stoners and drunks into the same category.  I don't view either as better

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery

#11307368 - 10/23/09 06:35 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well I can have a night off, but I spend the whole evening thinking about a drink, and I don't sleep properly. Then the next night I reward myself with extra booze

--------------------
buh

OfflineSprezzatura
Virtuoso
Male

Loc: On the Atlantic Ocean
    #11307370 - 10/23/09 06:35 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

shirley knott said:
Ok, so we all like to drink. But I get drunk 7 nights a week on maybe half a bottle or equivalent each time. Advise me, shroomerites:(

Cut back a little if you think you're putting too much down... try not to get to the point of getting drunk, just a buzz... New Research and medical information has been released that states that a healthy person who drinks moderately 3-5 drinks a day, is more likely to be healthier than someone who does not drink at all.

Just keep it chill is all.. cheers man.

EDIT:

Oh, and here's a quick reference, I can't remember exactly what the article was called that I read about it, but it was another one in U.S. News... as this one is...

http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2009/07/13/moderate-drinking-might-guard-against-alzheimers.html

--------------------
Spectaculorum procedere debet

:mushroom2: :beer:

Edited by Sprezzatura (10/23/09 06:39 PM)

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Sprezzatura] * 1
    #11307382 - 10/23/09 06:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sprezzatura said:
New Research and medical information has been released that states that a healthy person who drinks moderately 3-5 drinks a day, is more likely to be healthier than someone who does not drink at all.

Thats grossly inaccurate.  'Some' research has said that a glass of wine is good for you a night.  However any alcohol consumption is correlated with large increases in cancer.  The fact is that no one is entirely sure how bad alcohol is for you, but 3-5 drinks a day is 'bad' for you no question

Invisibleelementswrath
Finger' trippin good
Male User Gallery

Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Sprezzatura]
    #11307393 - 10/23/09 06:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

1. Change your attitude about quitting! Remember, you're not being forced to give up a good friend who has treated you well. Instead, you are finally ridding yourself of an awful enemy who has robbed you of many great pleasures in life.
  2. Constantly remind yourself of what a great thing you are doing and hold tightly to your quit. Remember that you are pardoning yourself from a life sentence in the prison of alcoholism and you will always hold the key.
  3. Try to pick some significant date to quit. Be ambitious, but reasonable. If you are very heavy drinker you must first slow down to avoid withdrawal symptoms (in this case it is best to have your doctor help you plan your quitting date).
  4. Get rid of all bottles, cans, etc.
  5. Revise recipes that call for wine so you do not have it in the kitchen.
  6. Buy a wallet and whenever you think about buying a bottle or a drink, put that amount of money in your sober wallet. It will shock you. Use this for healthier stress relief: massage, visit to a day spa, yoga class...
  7. Buy a small piece of inexpensive jewellery like a ring or bracelet, or henna your hand, or get a special manicure to remind you that these hands no longer buy or touch alcohol.
  8. Drink a lot of water.
  9. Consider joining a support group like Alcoholics Anonymous. These groups have helped millions of people to quit. There are also secular support groups as well such as SMART Recovery.
  10. Never take another sip.
  11. Deny yourself nothing except the alcohol - You can have anything you want, as long as it's not alcohol (so long as you're not replacing the alcohol with another addiction).
  12. Don't try to explain quitting or trying to quit to people -- if they themselves are not in this situation, they are unable to fathom what you're trying to do. Many people will try to enable you and convince you to drink so they can feel better about their own addiction.
  13. Admit to yourself, and remember it, that there is absolutely nothing in your life more important than this one thing.
  14. Do not avoid all situations where you would normally drink. Instead approach them with a good attitude and remember that you can have a good time without drinking.
  15. Memorize a prayer, poem or something (i.e. Hamlet's speech "To be or not to be") to repeat to yourself when you are losing your mind; trying to remember it will keep your head together sometimes.
  16. Give yourself a prize for every day or every hour that you haven't had a drink.
  17. Talk to your doctor. Alcohol withdrawal can potentially be deadly. If you start experiencing severe hallucinations, you should check into a hospital or treatment center.
  18. "He who conquers others is mighty. He who conquers himself is almighty."
  19. "Pick up yoga! It will help you deal with stress and calm your mind."
  20. Take a B-vitamin supplement daily for your first week off alcohol. Alcohol affects the ability of the body to absorb these (specifically thiamine). Deficiency can cause severe cognitive impairment (Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome or wet brain).
  21. If you are tempted, try to visualize what you might look like totally out of control. Do you really want to be that person again?
  22. If you are a scheduled drinker, like after work or when you go home, change your routine to involve another activity like visiting your parents or a friend.

[edit] Tips

* Keep chocolate handy. Chocolate cravings are typical when problem drinkers quit. It will increase your endorphins and help reduce the urges you will feel.
    * Why alcohol is taking over your life is a question that will only be answered when you DON'T let it take over your life.
    * Do not try to make a habit to quit a habit.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery

#11307421 - 10/23/09 06:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

But I'm not ready to give it up, I enjoy it. I think

--------------------
buh

Invisiblefloydisgod
whoa
Male User Gallery

Loc: satur9 Flag
Re: Any alcoholics here? [Re: Chespirito]
    #11307429 - 10/23/09 06:45 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I drink every weekend. or try to. its the thing that keeps me going throughout the week. lookin forward to gettin rowdy with my buddies... sometimes i drink a night or two throughout the week but i dont like to because im usually late for work or dont go in the next day. but. sometimes i feel like if i dont drink on the weekends then im gonna feel like shit the next week... alcohol is dangerous though, i was definitly an alcoholic this past summer and i loved it :cool:

--------------------
Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd
Smiling

Invisibleelementswrath
Finger' trippin good
Male User Gallery

#11307430 - 10/23/09 06:46 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

isn't that what makes a alcoholic? enjoying the drink?
your choice, i am not gonna egg you.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub