Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedogwood
Stranger
 User Gallery

preparing garden for winter
    #11214796 - 10/09/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

just wondering how others "tucked in" their vegetable gardens.  ive considered doing a cover crop but also heard that mulch is good for protecting against the weather.  is it possible to do both or is one better than the other?  also, i never knew which type of mulch to use since i try to stick to organic methods.  is the stuff you get at the landscape supply good to use?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHereNowBreathing
The New Girl
Female

Loc: Canada
Re: preparing garden for winter [Re: dogwood]
    #11255327 - 10/15/09 06:37 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

do you compost?  I always spread 1 year old compost over the top of my garden before winter, then in the spring I mix it in before planting.

--------------------
:stoned:  Be the Change!

Offlinedogwood
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: preparing garden for winter [Re: HereNowBreathing]
    #11256904 - 10/15/09 10:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yeah i try to compost but i dont have any right now, used it all back in the spring.  was going to start the pile again when the leaves fall.

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: preparing garden for winter [Re: dogwood]
    #11263516 - 10/17/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You can definitely grow cover crops with mulch.  I mulch my garden with a thick layer of wheat straw mulch which I get in ~50lbs. bales at ~$3/bale.  My mulch layer is usually at least 4" deep.  I bought a cover crop mix this year and just broadcast sowed them under the straw and then once more after I put the straw back over the soil.  I also lay down as much compost as I can in the garden during the fall and any other amendments.  I don't know what kind they have at your landscaping supply store but something to cover the ground for winter is better than nothing.

I absolutely love mulch as it retains moisture, provides insect and fungus habitat, helps keep down weeds, helps keep veggies off of the soil, and eventually breaks down into rich compost the natural way.  I also find that when I spread worm-filled shovelfuls of compost, they worms will stay around if I provide them with the mulch layer.  When I weed the garden I just leave the plants on top of the mulch or tucked into the mulch, which is less work for me, feeds the worms, and helps the straw decompose.  I still haven't 100% worked out the best ways to sow different seeds in mulch, but have had a lot of success nonetheless.  I have some cover crops already coming up between the straw :smile:

--------------------

Offlineloggin shrooms
Stranger
Re: preparing garden for winter [Re: PoC]
    #11304055 - 10/23/09 01:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

serious mulch aholic here
Yeah you can seed a mulch with a gren manure - fall rye- fava bean etc.
A green manure crop, a crop that grows until about march or so and is then turned back into the soil - will grow stroger if planted in the soli first and then mulched, but maybe not too thick as it is nice toget a little growth before the middle of winter.  There are lots of sources of mulch around.  My garlic bed gets several inches of leaves mulched fine with the mower on long grass and then the grass-leaf mulch is put on the planted garlic bed.  Come spring the worms and rove beetles are hard at work and the mulch just turns into a beautiful soil amendment. The gralic is harvested in june and then that bed gets prepared for a fall crop of beets, carrots, rutabagas etc. and that fall crop gets a thick covering of straw or old hay which protects it from the cold and you get to harvest all winter and you got two crops from the same bed in one year.  Ain't nature grand.
I don't mulch my monkey tho,  drives it crazy
That's one crazy monkey man

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates