Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetehswede
Stranger
Possible wet spot/cobweb, safe or no-go?
    #11238074 - 10/13/09 09:21 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hey there Shroomery, first time poster here and I'd really appreciate if you all could help me with some questions!

Let's start at the beginning! I was cultivating a mycomate basic growbox a number of weeks ago and got a couple of nice flushes and all, after the substrate cake seemed to be of no more use i decided to take a gamble and spawn a new casing with a piece of the healthy substrate cake that was covered in healthy, nice mycelium. I boiled some wild rice and crushed the old substrate cake, mixed it with the boiled rice (I DID boil the pot with just water for about three hours straight to eliminate contamination risks from that) and some vermiculite. Put it all in the casing, watered it a little and put it in my growing cupboard and let it sit for a while.

After about two or three days it started showing alarming signs of wet spot contamination (blackish-brown goo/sludge at some areas and a foul smell of rotten apples) so I asked my girlfriend to throw it away. This she forgot and three weeks later we found the casing box and lo and behold! No signs of wetspot, a thick layer of healthy white mycelium had covered the casing and there was no more foul smell coming from the bag. However! There is still one spot that looks a little bit off (although nothing like the original wet spot) and at first I thought it to be cobweb contamination. However, since we discovered the casing box again (this sunday, so roughly two days since) this possible contamination has not spread or changed at all.

Now I would like some expert opinion on the matter. Will it fruit? If it does, will the mushrooms be dangerous to eat? Since the foul smell is gone, the possible cobweb doesn't grow and all looks somewhat decent, maybe I've just been lucky?

Thankful for any advice!

These are pictures of the casing in question!

aswell as

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSA5M
Rapid Colonizer
 User Gallery

Loc: Makyo Star
Re: Possible wet spot/cobweb, safe or no-go? [Re: tehswede]
    #11243470 - 10/14/09 01:51 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

tehswede said:
Will it fruit? If it does, will the mushrooms be dangerous to eat? Since the foul smell is gone, the possible cobweb doesn't grow and all looks somewhat decent, maybe I've just been lucky?

From the sound of it you got lucky, I wouldn't invest time into a case that had such rampant contam and is still QUITE contaminated. Referring to that spot on the casing.

The casing might still fruit. If it fruits, that means the mycelium is still healthy enough to produce fruits. Those fruits will be edible, as long as the contam doesn't spread to the fruits.

--------------------

Offlinetehswede
Stranger
Re: Possible wet spot/cobweb, safe or no-go? [Re: SA5M]
    #11243577 - 10/14/09 02:21 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, that's about what I was thinking. I'm not really gonna spend any energy on this casing as I have another healthy one up and coming but still, if it fruits and the shrooms are edible, why waste? :wink:

You don't have any clue what the contaminant might be? Looks like nothing I've seen before (not that I've seen anything but pictures hehe), can't really say I think it looks like cobweb? :shocked:

Thanks!

OfflineSA5M
Rapid Colonizer
 User Gallery

Loc: Makyo Star
Re: Possible wet spot/cobweb, safe or no-go? [Re: tehswede]
    #11243972 - 10/14/09 04:19 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Some kind of nasty looking mold is for sure. Did you try swabbing the spot with bleach soaked q-tips? Another route would be to get a small plastic cup and quarantining the mold exposed area by pressing the cup into the case. Mold, mycelium & all, then allowing the case to continue fruiting.

--------------------

Offlinetehswede
Stranger
Re: Possible wet spot/cobweb, safe or no-go? [Re: SA5M]
    #11244026 - 10/14/09 04:42 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm that last idea with a cup wasn't all that bad, I have access to clinically sterilized plastic cups at work... Think I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum