Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Our Five Senses
    #1078673 - 11/23/02 02:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

There are life-forms with no sensual perception.

There are life-forms with no sense of smell, life-forms with no sense of sight, and so on...

My question is (impossible to answer, but fun to think about): How many different types of sensations are we primates here on Earth missing out on? There could be entire worlds of "other stuff" that sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch simply couldn't sense.

I'm not talking about seeing things that are in a different spectrum than what our eyes detect. I'm not referring to hearing sounds that are below or above our frequency-range (20-20,000 hz, roughly, I believe). I'm talking about "alltogether new senses" that life on earth hasnt' even developed!

Of course anything that couldn't be sensed with these 5 senses would most-likely not be dangerous to us, because we're still here! But who knows what else is out there......

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
:-D Stoned

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (11/23/02 03:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Our Five Senses [Re: Strumpling]
    #1078699 - 11/23/02 02:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yes. This is a very interesting train of thought.. I've pondered on it for a while.

Think of describing sight to someone who had no idea it ever existed. I wouldnt know where to begin. So trying to fathom 'other' sensory perception.. is pretty farkin difficult.

I often wondered if psychedelics allow us a peek at these things. If the idea of psychedelics acting as neurotransmitters is the reality of the situation.. well..
Its like turning the dial, you know.. Your brain is, afterall, a filter for perception.

Edited by immaculate (11/23/02 02:38 AM)

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Strumpling]
    #1078884 - 11/23/02 05:39 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Our Five Senses [Re: Macey Howard]
    #1079012 - 11/23/02 08:33 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It's always possible to evolve new abilities and senses if that's what is needed to adapt to your environment. When our environment changes, we could theoretically gain new senses of perception, like the sonar sense that cetaceans use. Or is it really more of a "group mind"? :wink: 

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineLOPHO.MP
looker

Loc: Santa Cruz CA.
    #1079351 - 11/23/02 12:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

This is one of those things that I too love to think about!!

I also think that psychedelics are as close as we will probably ever get to experiencing new senses.

--------------------
---Still Searching---

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1079379 - 11/23/02 12:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If you're really interested in exploring some of the sensory possibilities(potentially) available throughout the cosmos, you might like to read "The Starmaker" by Olaf Stapledon( Terrence Mckenna seems to show that he has been influenced by the book in his(T.M's) video "Alien Dream Time" :smile: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Edited by FreakQlibrium (11/23/02 01:00 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Our Five Senses [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1079925 - 11/23/02 05:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

oh cool thanks for the recommendation :smile: I've always found Mckenna absolutely fascinating, although I don't agree with many of the things he spoke of (mainly his timewave zero deal..).

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
"The Starmaker" by Olaf Stapledon - k got it

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
    #1080008 - 11/23/02 06:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well some folks can see auras, I know there are few of them lurking around right now.

Bees can smell fear, right?

Sharks can detect the electromagnetic fields of their prey. Some scientists think humans might have the ability to detect electromagnetic fields, too, just not as strong.

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
    #1080012 - 11/23/02 06:39 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The five senses seem like most of our sensory distinctions...fairly arbitrary. I also have a sense of humor, a sense of balance, a sense of time, and a sense of nonsense. Not to mention my spidey sense...

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1080081 - 11/23/02 07:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking about this a bit more last night and realized that every one of our five senses is actually the sense of "touch" or "feeling."

Hearing is feeling our eardrums move around at different frequencies.
Seeing is feeling different frequencies of light hit those thingies in the back of our eyeballs, smelling is "feeling" different constructions of gasses in our nose, and so on...

So I guess all we've really got is the sense of "touch" or "feeling" expanding to be able to "feel" as much shit as possible.

As for bees smelling fear..... Unfortunately I'm not sure about this; I'm quite ignorant on that subject - if there's some research you know of thats available online I'd love to read up a bit on that :smile:

And Discordja, "sense of humor" is indeed an interesting one. Your sense of balance, however, in my opinion, seems to be simply feeling that you're either going to fall over, or not going to fall over. Time is a strange one as well... I think about my own concepts of time quite often. I always try and guess what time it is before I look at my watch, and get much better at doing so, so it would seem we do indeed have some type of sense of the progression of existence ("time"), but is it seperate from this sense of "feeling?"

Does anybody agree that all our senses seem to be based on the same fundamental action of "feeling" something, only in different ways? I had this revelation last night, and find it very interesting :smile:

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
keep 'em coming guys - this is good stuff

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (11/23/02 07:13 PM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1080095 - 11/23/02 07:19 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In my Psycology class, I was told we have 11 senses.

-Sense of balance was one of them (equalibrium).

:ooo:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

#1080098 - 11/23/02 07:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The bees thing is just something I've been told since I was a child. I've no reason to believe it.

But your description of sight/hearing/smelling is a strange generalization. Your retinas do not feel light hitting them as they would a ball, rods and cones are stimulated by the presence of light. If you replaced all the nerves in your skin with rods and cones, you wouldn't have any tactile sensation (though you would be able to see your own ass.)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Our Five Senses [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1080110 - 11/23/02 07:25 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

so they're stimulated by the presence of light, hmm?

They feel the light, then. The light hits them. They react. I'm no biologist, but I thought thats how it works? How else would they know light was there unless they "felt" photons/waves of light?

and Murex, what were the others, do you remember? Can any/all of them be tied down to sense of "touch/contact/feeling?"

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (11/23/02 07:28 PM)

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: Our Five Senses [Re: Murex]
    #1080118 - 11/23/02 07:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think time deserves its own sensory catagory, if only because it can't be measured by any real physical standard like the other senses. You can't smell, touch or feel the passage of time...by some reckonings, you might say you could hear or see it pass. But you aren't really perceiving the passage of time; you perceive physical phenomena that mark its passage...the ticking of a clock, the movement of light across the dinning room floor.

I'd agree that the standard five are all based on physical sensation of one sort or another, but since our existence goes beyond the physical (or so I'd like to think) we should have corresponding non-physical senses, like time-sense. How about empathy? To some extent, whether you're picking up on physical clues, sniffing pheremones or 'reading auras', you can often tell what another person is feeling. Is empathy a sense in itself (emotion-sense?), or just a by-product of our physical senses?

Or common sense...kind of a survivors instinct that says "HEY!" just before you do something stupid...

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Re: Our Five Senses [Re: Discordja]
    #1080129 - 11/23/02 07:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

What about the color-changing powers of the chamelion? How do they know what color to change to anyways?

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1080130 - 11/23/02 07:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

wow thats a good fuckin question as long as they don't simply look at the surface they're on..... hmm I'm going to see if I can find that out anywhere out here on the net :smile:

LoL thats great!

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Our Five Senses [Re: Discordja]
    #1080136 - 11/23/02 07:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yes I see what you're saying - even under sensory deprivation we can still sense the passage of time - not nearly as accurately as when we're using our other senses as well, but the simple process of thinking constantly reminds us that NOW isn't the same moment as NOW.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
or NOW!

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

#1080150 - 11/23/02 07:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Is anybody listening to me?  :confused:

I feel so ignored. ::sniff:: It's like I doen't even exist. I'm gonna go kill myself.

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

Edited by Murex (11/23/02 07:50 PM)

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

#1080156 - 11/23/02 07:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If you want to base your understanding of the word "feel" on the ambiguities of language, go ahead. Bear in mind that things have meaning not covered by semantics.

ps. I "feel" that you're an idiot.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1080165 - 11/23/02 07:56 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

dude I replied to both of your posts.. scroll up - the "thats a great fuckin question!" was pointed at you - you have to look at the "in reponse to:" thing

and then above that I addressed you by name :smile: Come on don't feel left out!

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (11/23/02 08:00 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder