Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
adding hydro organic nutes
    #10693797 -

I spent about an hour searching and didn't find much useful info so I thought I would ask, though I am sure I am not the first. I have a hydroponic nutrient that is not getting used in my other garden and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to use this to rehydrate my coir? it has an NPK of 3-1.25-1.25 and is derived from bat guano extract, alfalfa extract, kelp, yucca extract, molasses, potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, calcium nitrate, and magnesium nitrate. the bottle says it is a combo of synthetics and organics so would that be a problem? there are tons of fully organic products also available many made from compost tea. The potential problem that I see is that most of these use guano and i've read that it's the wrong kind of poo but maybe it will still help things out a bit. I am pretty new to this hobby so I apologize If it is a stupid question.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: shags420]
    #10693822 -

you shouldn't be adding those plant fertilizers. Mushrooms are not plants.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: phaseflux]
    #10693885 -

thank you for the response. is the problem that the wrong nutrients would be added to the coir or is it that you can't add nutrition without adding substrate, or something else I just don't understand? any sections on the site I should read that could explain this? any help understanding this is greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: shags420]
    #10693899 -

I dont think they feed off of plant nutes. plant nutes are made exactly for the way plants grow, synthesize etc. mushrooms are completely different.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: phaseflux]
    #10693921 -

thank you that clears it up a bit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: shags420]
    #10693977 -

Anything you give mushrooms (as a food source) should (in most cases) be 100% organic.  Aside from that, there's really no harm in experimenting. 

The main thing to make sure is that you're not adding any ammonia-based fertilizers, as mycelium does not have the required enzymes to digest them (ammonia must be broken down to urea first - which is a good part of why aged horse dung is used compared to fresh.)

Honestly, I really don't see any reason you couldn't experiment with what you have there.  While some of it might be synthetic, the only thing that sets off any sort of red flags for me is the magnesium nitrate - if I recall correctly, mycelium can be sensitive to Mg levels in general, and magnesium nitrate is a salt, which can cause issues depending on concentration.  I'm guessing that since it's the last-listed ingredient, it's going to be a small amount, though.

Compost tea is great.  If you search for it on here, you'll see that a lot of folks have used it for many, many things.  Increasing the (organic) dietary diversity is almost always a good thing when it comes to mushrooms as long as you don't go too "hot" on any particular nutrient.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: Sillicybin]
    #10694038 -

Hydro solutions, both chemical and organic have been tried many times with zero benefit.  Mushrooms are not plants.  Mushrooms consume food on the cellular level, so feed them manure, straw, compost, etc.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10694282 -

RogerRabbit said:
Hydro solutions, both chemical and organic have been tried many times with zero benefit.



Roger, don't you, yourself, advocate adding of coffee to the water used to hydrate grain jars?  Wouldn't hydrating coir with an organic nutrient solution (like compost tea) be somewhat the same?

Not trying to be antagonistic - I'm truly curious about the difference.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: Sillicybin]
    #10694306 -

and/or worm casting tea. And it seems like you could use dilute guano too.

??


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: Doc_T]
    #10694868 -

Quote:
Roger, don't you, yourself, advocate adding of coffee to the water used to hydrate grain jars?



Not for the 'nutes' though.  Coffee swings the pH to a more acidic level, thus speeding up colonization.  It's a way to use our leftover coffee from the pot we make every morning, rather than dumping it down the drain.  In addition, coffee has food the mycelium can use, unlike fertilizer for plants.  As said above, it's been tried many times already.  Feel free to experiment though, I'm not trying to discourage that.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10694988 -

Organic nutrients by definition do not directly feed the plant. They provide food to the micro life in the soil or water, which then breaks down the organic components like blood or bone meal as well as guanos and supplies them to the plant in usable form. That is why in true organic gardening there is such a strong emphasis on maintaining a thriving "micro herd" of beneficial fungi and bacteria in the soil. This topic could fill a whole forum by itself... IC Mag - Organic Forum I'm not sure if it's bad to post links like this, but this website contains some of the best info about organic gardening, regardless of what you grow.

Fungi are not plants and they probably live in a different relationship with the micro life that supports organic gardening in plants. How it is different I don't know.

Can mushrooms consume the organic components of these nutrients? I don't know that either, but as RR said, there is little demonstrated benefit of adding these nutrients to substrates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: adding hydro organic nutes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10694998 -

Your shrooms get all the nutrients they need from your grain/spawn. You mix your spawn with a "Low" nutrient bulk substrate. If your bulk is highly nutritious, your only inviting in competing contaminate molds and ect.


--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* mushroom compost
( 1 2 all )
killswitch 14,803 36 01/20/03 02:59 PM
by Roadkill
* Composting SixTango 3,818 5 05/12/03 01:00 PM
by kykeon
* Compost and Peat 50/50 cookin' in the PC- via oven bag tek 21p 1,217 5 01/16/03 04:10 AM
by deanofmean
* Organic Compost For Bulk (For my friends Toad) FleshTemple 691 1 02/02/03 08:06 AM
by shirley knott
* Re: Adding nutrients to rye! paddoholland 1,111 2 04/24/01 06:45 AM
by paddoholland
* Dung/Compost... dobinky 1,306 19 03/27/04 07:30 PM
by daywalker
* Organic Compost/Steer Manure Blend cheesyincident 2,042 1 09/04/02 06:19 AM
by psilocybinjunkie
* Re: dung vs. compost Rxwoman 2,796 11 03/17/01 11:14 PM
by Soup

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
689 topic views. 20 members, 102 guests and 315 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.