Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA]
    #10553374 -

Although this isn't an ethnobotanical, I thought you guys might find this of interest. It would be awesome to see this beautiful flower in bloom and catch a whiff of it's fetid bouquet ...

'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms, rotting flesh smell in San Marino
June 17, 2009 - sgvtribune.com

SAN MARINO - It took its own sweet time, but Son of Stinky started to bloom Wednesday afternoon in the Huntington Library's tropical conservatory, reaching a height close to seven feet and unleashing the first wafts of rotting flesh.

After keeping botanists on tenterhooks for more than two weeks, the giant other-worldly Amorphophallus titanum had grown to 6 feet 9 inches by Wednesday morning. Around 2 p.m. botanists started to notice the petal-like outer spathe (specialized leaf or hood) beginning to pull away from the tall spadex (floral spike) of the world's largest flower.

Flies had already begun to appear, "clearly sensing something in the air," Huntington spokeswoman Lisa Blackburn said, as the plant started its seven-hour opening process.

The public will have its first chance to see - and smell - the Corpse Flower on Thursday when the Huntington opens at 10:30 a.m. The bloom usually lasts about two days.

Although Huntington officials aren't expecting crowds equal to the 76,000 who showed up for the rare flowering in 1999, Son of Stinky has already outdone its parent in height.

It took about three weeks of what Blackburn called "skyrocketing growth" to reach its full height, far bigger than its parent's two previous blooms in 1999 and 2002, which she said reached 5 foot 9 inches and 4 foot 7 inches respectively.

The plant now in bloom was propagated from seed produced by the 1999 flowering - hence the "Son of Stinky" nickname.

"The flower really kept us waiting and took its own sweet time getting down to business, but we think that may result in an even more spectacular bloom than our last two," Blackburn said. "It's an amazingly beautiful flower. You just have to get past the stench."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #10553588 -

I'm totally going to go, I'll post the pictures I take.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #10553620 -

mmmmmmm delicious!

i think they had one at kew gardens flower in the not too distant past also (i could be wrong about that though) :yesnod:


RRhoads said:
I'm totally going to go, I'll post the pictures I take.



please do! :awesome:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: RRhoads]
    #10553623 -

That plant is awesome


--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: RRhoads]
    #10553863 -

Quote:

RRhoads said:

I'm totally going to go, I'll post the pictures I take.

Son of Stinky June 18, 2009 7:30am Full Bloom (Click to enlarge)

Unfortunately it is no longer in full bloom. But it should still be very interesting to see.
The Huntington Library has more information about it on it's website HERE

And here is a cool video narrated by botanist Jim Folsom:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #10553946 -

Do the flies lay eggs in it? :awesome:


FH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: felixhigh]
    #10554020 -

So cool. I remember the one in 1999 blooming.  Not that I got to see it or anything, but I remember it being news.  Someday I'll own a greenhouse big enough to have one... er... a collection and greenhouse big enough to warrant having one.


--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: Horticulture]
    #10554614 -

It looks all wilted now, the Huntington has a live picture of it.
http://huntington.org/thehuntington_full.aspx?id=4132

They are selling potted plants for 250$ right outside the gift shop too, my Dad saw it last week. Unfortunately he didn't take pictures, he wasn't even there to see the flower.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Son of Stinky' Corpse Flower blooms [CA] [Re: RRhoads]
    #10554697 -

$250?  How big & what is it potted in?


--------------------
Texas Honey Badger said:
I went to boys town in Nuevo Laredo when I was in my early ‘30s
There was a bunch of trannys even way back then
I paid probably $20 but I was so drunk I couldn’t get a hard on:faded:
-Whenever you hear 5 blasts from the emergency horn that’s the signal for a 30 minute buttfucking break-      Fiery said:
I wish I was a young sexy woman so I could have awesome sexy adventures all the time[/quote]
split_by_nine said:
i did the man bun.[/quote]
1234go said:
I don't have a dog. I can't stand em...They're needy animals for needy people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Passion flower blooms, MAOI diet necessary? SpaceKadet420 1,723 1 12/24/04 09:18 PM
by theocean06
* Smoking Passion Flower? freddurgan 4,070 6 02/25/05 01:06 PM
by felixhigh
* A few cacti pics (Flowering Pedro updated, tons of pics)
( 1 2 all )
zee_werp 5,924 26 02/16/05 06:32 AM
by Merkin
* My San Pedros flowering (pics) JeeLiX 1,870 16 10/04/06 11:39 PM
by Mitchnast
* Flower ID please. VirgilKane 815 13 05/15/07 05:05 AM
by deadhorse
* B. caapi flowers? entheoindole 1,428 7 08/05/04 10:37 PM
by felixhigh
* Sally Flowering, Trinidad, Ca Pics deadheadjpc2000 737 4 10/29/06 06:45 AM
by llamabox
* Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue Mycomancer 14,506 17 07/04/04 12:02 PM
by felixhigh

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,503 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 16 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.