Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Peat, Portable Greenhouse, Syrian Rue

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue
    #2852680 - 07/02/04 11:59 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Passion Flower, passiflora incarnata and various passiflora species, aka Maracuja, was one used as a sacrament for the ritual greeting smoke.  It contains isomer harmaline and related alkaloids, a potent maoi.

Primary effects: When smoked, a very mild, short-lasting marijuana-like high occurs.  It acts both as a sedative and a tranquilizer.  In larger quantities, it acts more like a hallucinogen.

Seeing that it contains harmala alkaloids, and is readily available in any herbal shop, seems like a decent alternative in ayahuasca preperations.  The smoke aint too bad either.

The Magickal and Ritual Use of Herbs,  by Richard Miller

* Passiflora actinea [Harman = Passiflorine]
  * Passiflora alata [Harman]
  * Passiflora alba [Harman]
  * Passiflora bryonoides [Harman]
  * Passiflora caerulea [Harman]
  * Passiflora capsularis [Harman]
  * Passiflora decaisneana [Harman]
  * Passiflora edulis [Harman]
  * Passiflora eichleriana [Harman]
  * Passiflora foetida [Harman]
  * Passiflora incarnata [Harmine, Harmaline, Harman, etc.]
  * Passiflora quadrangularis [Harman]
  * Passiflora ruberosa [Harman]
  * Passiflora subpeltata [Harman]
  * Passiflora warmingii [Harman]

http://users.lycaeum.org/~fing/hoasca/table4a.html

P. manicata is well known in Ecuador for it's hallucinogenic properties, and thus earned the local nickname diablito.

http://www.ciat.cgiar.org/ipgri/fruits_from_americas/frutales/Ficha%20Passiflora%20manicata.htm

The Legend. Legend has it that in 1620 a Jesuit priest in Peru came across the plant we now know as passion flower. Enthralled with its beauty, that night he had a vision likening its floral parts to the elements of the Crucifixion or Passion of Christ. The five petals and five sepals became the ten apostles (omitting Peter and Judas). The three pistils became the nails of the cross; the purple corona (or filaments) was the crown of thorns, and the stemmed ovary was the Lord's goblet.

The stigmas representing the 3 Nails used in the crucifixion.

The style - the sponge used to moisten Christ's lips with vinegar.

The five stamens the colour of blood depict the 5 Wounds  that Christ received.

The 72 corona filaments, tipped with blood red, were  described as reflecting the traditional number of thorns in    the crown of thorns.

The central column -  against which He was scourged.

The ten sepals and petals represent the 10 Apostles    (excluded are Judas and Peter).

The spiraled tendrils - the lash of Christ's Scourging

The leaves - the head of the Centaurian's Spear. The underside of the leaves were marked with dark spots to represent the thirty pieces of silver.

The round fruit - The World Christ came to save

The fragrance - The Spices prepared by the Holy Women

http://gardenline.usask.ca/plants/passion.html

:rasta:,

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (07/03/04 12:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2852690 - 07/03/04 12:02 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

what's the concentration per gram?
how many grams of Passion Flower : # of g's of Rue?

Anonymous

#2852697 - 07/03/04 12:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Back before I smoked an ungodly amount of herb daily, passionflower blooms and leaf dried from my plants got me off nicely

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: blink]
    #2852709 - 07/03/04 12:09 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure the relative value compared with syrian rue, but with an ethyl alcohol extraction the yield is approx: 1 gram of mixed harmal alkaloids per kilogram of herb. 

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (07/03/04 02:19 AM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2852728 - 07/03/04 12:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

the yield would be of all soluable alkaloids, not just the harmaline. how van we know what percentage of those alkaloids is the isomer harmaline and other betacarboloids and what is other unknown alkaloids?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: canid]
    #2852751 - 07/03/04 12:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Very true, one wouldn't know. I know from personal experience that as a smoke it's highly agreeable. As far as the extraction goes, Richard Miller simply states "mixed harmal alkaloids", and that its been used ritualistically as a sacramental smoke.  One need not do an extraction to benefit from he harmaline, simply a reference to help guage concentration. 

In another book of mine*, the harmaline alkaloids are the only chemicals listed as active ingredients of passion flower, and since inactive ingredients generally don't have an effect on the human body, it's only natural to assume that the harmal alkaloids be the only activity in the plant.

*Recreational Drugs, by Harold Deutsch, M.D.

Passion Flower is classified as "Generally Regarded as Safe" by the FDA, is the subject of various European monographs for medicinal plants and is generally regarded as safe even for children and infants. Herbalists usually recommend six grams of the herb daily in an infusion (tea).

http://www.shgresources.com/tn/symbols/wildflower/

Organic: it is a very fine smoke indeed  :cool:

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (07/03/04 01:39 AM)

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: Mycomancer] * 1
    #2852889 - 07/03/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Some more info:

SYNONYMS
Maracuja, Apricot Vine, Grenadille, Maypop, Maypop Passion Flower, Passiflora, Passiflorae herba, Passionflower herb, Passion Vine, Rose-Colored Passion Flower, White Passion Flower, Wild Passion Flower

FAMILY
Passifloraceae

GENUS SPECIES
Passiflora incarnata

TYPE
Perennial herbaceous climber

PART USED
Fresh or dried flowering and fruiting tops (harman alkaloids must not exceed 0.01%)

HOMEOPATHY
Tincture of fresh or dried leaves gathered in May

Central America, North America, South America, subtropical Asia

COMMISSION E ACTIONS
Inhibits intestinal motility (animal experiments)

COMMISSION E INDICATIONS
Anxiety, nervous restlessness

CHEMICALS & NUTRIENTS
Alkaloids (harman), Coumarin derivatives, Essential Oil, Flavonoids, Maltol, Vitexin

PREPARATION & DOSAGES
Commission E: Herb: 4-8 g/day
Dried Herb: 0.25-1 g or by in fusion (3x/day)
Infusion, Fresh Dried Herb: 2-6 ounces up to 4x/day
Liquid Extract: 1:1 in 25 % alcohol, dose 0.5-1 ml (3x/day)
Liquid Extract: 1:1 in 45% alcohol, dose 30-60 drops up to 4x/day
Tea: 4-8 g, take in divided doses, 2-3x/day3
Tincture, Dried Herb: 1:5 in 50% alcohol, dose; 0.5-1.5 teaspoons up to 4x/day
Tincture, Fresh Herb: 1:2 in 50% alcohol, dose; 0.5-1.5 teaspoons up to 4x/day
Tincture: 1:8 in 45 % alcohol, dose 0.5-2 ml (3x/day)

CONTRAINDICATIONS
Lactation, pregnancy.

DRUG INTERACTIONS
Passionflower may potentiate MAOI therapy. Due to the antihypertensive (hypotensive) action of this herb the following interactions are possible: when taken with anesthetics an increased hypotensive effect; potentiation of antihypertensives; when taken with diuretics difficulty with diuresis and hypertension may result; antagonism of sympathomimetics.

SIDE EFFECTS
(Possible adverse effects and/or overdose effects) Convulsions, hypothermia, hallucinations, slight muscle paralysis, slowed breathing.

SAFETY
GRAS.

http://nutritionfocus.com/nutrition_supplementation/herbs/passion_flower_herb.html

mycomancer

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2852923 - 07/03/04 02:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

sounds good. i meant to pick some of the fruit and the flowers from a local vine i know of for enjoyment of te fruit and the flowers for tea. i may have to do some further reading.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2853541 - 07/03/04 09:26 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i sell those at my work! there huge, probably 4 or 5 feet tall, and there like $40.00, but maybe i will pick one up. I have only seen one of the plants at my work flower, and my boss told me it is hard to coax them into flowering for some reason.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflineOOKLA
Mr.Slippyfist

Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: angryjslice]
    #2853547 - 07/03/04 09:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Can anybody get some seeds of the correct species? I have some poppies to trade. PM me.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: OOKLA]
    #2853597 - 07/03/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Here's a site that has 50 seeds for $2.50,
http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/pas.incar.htm

Care:
The passion flower is best suited to a sunny room or greenhouse. Ideally, it should have 4 hours of bright, direct sunlight daily throughout the year. However, it may sun scorch in summer if placed too close to a south or west window. The plant may be summered outside.

In spite of its "passion" for bright light, it prefers temperatures on the cooler side (12.7-18.8C), especially in winter. It will tolerate slightly warmer temperatures in summer but is more likely to become infested with spider mites and may not have as attractive a shape. Cooler temperatures (10C) in winter will allow it a rest period.

Keep your passion vines evenly moist (but with good drainage) while actively growing. Beginning in late August, let them dry out a bit between waterings but never completely.

Fertilize every two weeks with 20-20-20 plus micro-nutrients from spring through fall while the plants are actively growing. Use a loam-based potting soil and keep it slightly pot-bound. Passion vines tend to flower more freely when confined.

Top dressing rather than repotting is sometimes advised. Repot every 2 years in late winter or early spring, allowing the plant to recuperate for a week in a cool shady area before putting it back in a sunny location.

Prune passion vines to within 15 cm (6 in.) of the soil or to 6 to 8 buds in early spring and a few weeks prior to repotting. This should encourage flowering on the new growth.

Varieties. The blue passion flower (Passiflora caerulea) is one of the best for growing indoors and is one of the most readily available. It blooms in April, with white petals and sepals and a ring of filaments that are purple, white and blue. Height may be up to 6 m (20 ft). It will flower when still young, even in a small pot. "Constance Elliot" is all white and blooms more freely.

The red passion flower (Passiflora coccinea) has deep orange to scarlet petals and filaments that are pale pink at the base, gradually becoming purple.

Passiflora x alato-caerula is only 1.8 m (6 ft) in height, free-blooming, has pink petals and a fringed corona of purple, white and blue. An added bonus is its fragrance.

Dispassionate Propagation. Passion flowers are usually propagated by stem cuttings taken in late spring or early summer. These should be 7.6-10 cm (3-4 in.) long and taken just below a leaf. Remove the next lower leaf and dip the end of the cutting in a rooting compound. Place in 7.6 cm (3 in.) pots in an evenly moist mixture of peat moss and coarse sand. Cover the entire pot with a plastic bag to retain humidity and put it in good but indirect light. The cuttings should root in three to four weeks. Seed is a more difficult method of propagation and the resulting flowering is more variable and less dependable.

http://gardenline.usask.ca/plants/passion.html

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (07/03/04 12:32 PM)

OfflineOOKLA
Mr.Slippyfist

#2854007 - 07/03/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Looks good but the pics are not quite the same as the one above. Is this due to the difference in development or is it just a variant from plant to plant within the family. Just want to make sure the right thing is ordered.

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #2854031 - 07/03/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I grew this one about 20 years ago. It grows fast as hell and puts out a lot of flowers. I never noticed any effect from it though. It must be fairly weak. Maybe an extraction would do some good. You can get a buzz from any sort of smoke, even grass clipping or anything but it will not be a good buzz. Maybe a tea is better?

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: Stonehenge]
    #2854051 - 07/03/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i think there are some baddies into it too, if i remember well if one breaks or crushes fresh leaves (perhaps flowers too) there will form cyanogenic glycosides in the 'crack' places due to oxidation (i might be wrong), as a plants defense against being eaten...
i love its fruits and they indeed have their effects (i get all lazy or fall asleep at worst) but i'm not really sure of how effective as a MAOI it REALLY is... the data is very controverse at this point... i'd rather believe my own practice - no MAOI.

FH

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: felixhigh]
    #2854213 - 07/03/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well ...Here go my two cents on the matter..

Yes,passionflower has been tried and it works as a MAOI.There is also an essay online by Gracie and Zarkov discussing that and comparing it to traditional MAOI sources . Check here please http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/GandZ/beta-carb.html
The downside to the story? Maybe it contains other alkaloids or compounds with sedative quantities...Also the amoutn one has to work with is a very big quantity.

Anothere very nice herb to elucidate would be Trivolus Terrestris known as "Puncture Vine".I have heard only refferences of it being used as a MAOI (mainly in Ayahuasca forums).The quantity used is reputed to be very small ,from what i gathered close to Peganum Harmala.Unfortunatelly i could find no other info than that that would point me more towards to actual concentration levels or even a qualitative analysis.Be aware that the specific chemical makeup of a plant gives it its character For example Syrian Rue offers MAOI but it is quite different that Banisteriopsis,since banisteriopsis also contains THH in bigger quantities than rue.Moclobemide also is a MAOI A but although it potentiates tryptamines it doesnt "alter" the effects in the way beta carbolines do.

So why did i mention tribolus? Because it is a very common weed...If you have dogs and let em run wild chances are you have already encountered ths plant trying to remove its spiky seedpod from the unlycky animal's paw. Worth a look IMHO

And now, Another thought. Felixhigh says "i think there are some baddies into it too, if i remember well if one breaks or crushes fresh leaves (perhaps flowers too) there will form cyanogenic glycosides in the 'crack' places due to oxidation (i might be wrong), as a plants defense against being eaten...
"

I do not know if Passiflora contains them BUT : The plant that has this defent does not form cyanogenic glycosides at the "crack" places.It already has them along with enzymes that break them down to cyanydies but in different cell compartements.When the leaf is macherated those two mix and you have got a nice reaction going on giving stomach cramps and nausea to animals eating it.Hang on a minute...Does anyone have any idea how this can be used? Hmmmm....Doesnt argyreia nervosa contain cyanogenic glycosides? Yes it does and they can be a bitch if ingested. Now,what would happen if you used juice from the aforementioned leaves to "breakdown" the glycosides in crushed HBWR seeds? With a little patienc,the glycosides will not break down and release poisonous gases in your stomach but in a container of your choice....

Thas all for now...

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: Psiloman]
    #2854241 - 07/03/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/GandZ/beta-carb.html

That's a very good article, that particular version of it is very hard to read though, black on green don't flow well with my reintas sometimes.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Passion Flower: The new Syrian Rue [Re: OOKLA]
    #2854995 - 07/04/04 12:37 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The different color variations are mostly different species within the genus, although some may be variants. 

Extraction seems best method as you can condense the essence right down and wont have to smoke a large amount of foliage. 

As far as the sedative property of the plant, the main constituent is passiflorine (harman), which is considered safe (the whole plant actually) by the FDA.  If there were a real baddie threat, it wouldn't have that status. 

The less pleasant effects the authors of that report felt is might simply be due to the clinical effect of smoking a large amount of foliage. 

And considering all of the other things i have put into my body over the years, i'm not too worried about passionflower; and some of those definately had baddies.

mycomancer

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2856238 - 07/04/04 02:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mycomancer said:
As far as the sedative property of the plant, the main constituent is passiflorine (harman), which is considered safe (the whole plant actually) by the FDA. If there were a real baddie threat, it wouldn't have that status.

i wouldn't mess around with passiflora roots - some species have quite toxic compounds in the roots, i've read a few studies about it. i would say all the plant but the root is pretty safe.

FH

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Peat, Portable Greenhouse, Syrian Rue

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden