Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Passion flower
    #8812969 - 08/22/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Does anyone have experience with growing them simply for use as a mood stabilizer/elevator. I have a spot that is producing large vines of it, consumed about 2g whole flower, stem, leaves.
It certainly is a new experience.

--------------------
:hanky:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePhallus
I'd fruit that.
 User Gallery

Loc: sunshine shit-land
Re: Passion flower [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #8813014 - 08/22/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That spot won't be there for long :smilingpuppy:

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#8813435 - 08/22/08 10:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's only mild, i've used the leaves in a tea before when i've been out of weed and it took the edge off a bit helping me to sleep.
I used to have these standardized passiflora tablets which i took when i was having panic attacks and they really were great for that.
They were nice when i was coming down from a trip too to give things a slight bump up,, :smile:.

I took some pics of mine earlier.

It was cut right back last year so that's all this years growth. I'll only give it a slight trim this year.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Passion flower [Re: Mike_yy]
    #8814364 - 08/23/08 04:35 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

nice pic mikey :thumbup:

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Re: Passion flower [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8814505 - 08/23/08 06:53 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That's an awesome picture, liked it so much it's my desktop background now.
I was trying to figure out if they produce enough seeds or where from, so I can take them from where I found them and plant some at my home; just for the beauty.
But as for what I took last night, it is entirely wearing off now, but I'm sure that would be a great medication for insomniacs. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#8815006 - 08/23/08 10:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Aw thanks people. I have a bigger copy here if that helps ya.

The seeds would be in the fruits if they ripen in your climate (which i guess they do). It'd take a long time to get a vine established from seed though.

If the vines are growing wild wouldn't it be easy enough to find a small one and dig it out ?,, it would save you some messing about.
I don't know how well they spread in the wild so i'm only guessing that's a possibility.

You could try taking cuttings from the fresher growth and see if they'll root in water, it might take em awhile so don't give up on them too soon unless the cuttings are obviously dead.
There's other ways to root a cutting as you probably know so you could do some research if need be and try something else.

You could maybe try your hand at air layering, i'm not sure if it works well with passion flower but it might be worth a try. Google "air layering" to get a basic how to.
Only problem is they should be kept moist,,,,, mother nature seems to do a good enough job of that here though.

InvisibleKBG1977
    #8815152 - 08/23/08 10:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I also grow passion flower,and I got mine from some cuttings from an old ladies monster bush.It's the purple flowered variety.I'm not sure if mine will flower this year,but it is getting a lot bigger,and bushier.I got a little bit of roots with my cuttings also,and I'm not sure if cuttings with no roots will root.I'm sure they will though,and also,I made a batch of tea with about 15 full sized flowers,and there were most deff some effects.It was a mildly sedating feeling,and it mixed well with some cannabis afterwords.Does anybody know how long it takes to bare fruit?I've heard they are delicious,and contain only trace amounts of the alkaloids that are in the flowers,and leaves.

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Re: Passion flower [Re: KBG1977]
    #8817632 - 08/23/08 08:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's dug deep into another bush so it's a bit hard to dig it up, or make a cutting.

I suppose I could take my hand at taking maybe a 3-5" cutting, and putting it in water for 2 or so weeks see if it takes up a root.

--------------------

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #8817805 - 08/23/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have never had success in rooting passionflower.
Ive taken dozens, and all of them fail. Good luck, hopefully yours will be better than mine.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Re: Passion flower [Re: satyr]
    #8818507 - 08/24/08 12:22 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

the mother plant usually shoots off little suckers. you have to dig deap and get them with a little bit of root. i get about 80% success rate with them.

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Passion flower [Re: waixingren]
    #8818537 - 08/24/08 12:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Its so easy to take cuttings off Passiflora whats the matter?

FH

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
    #8818548 - 08/24/08 12:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

omfg i looove your back yard!!!

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Passion flower [Re: felixhigh]
    #8818804 - 08/24/08 03:09 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

felixhigh said:
Its so easy to take cuttings off Passiflora whats the matter?

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on your technique? Personally, I wouldn't be sure if I should take a green cutting or a wood-like one (1st or 2nd year or older growth) and what medium to use for rooting and if light would be allowed to permeate the rooting medium.

Then again, I've never tried taking cuttings. I just bought mine (actually it's 'ours', my gf wanted it for the flowers) from a nursery. I'm hoping it'll get past winter on our balcony without additional protection. I suppose it's best to cut it back drastically; it's a really small space and I like to grow other stuff there as well such as parsley, basil, tomatoes, ipomoea and tropaeolum. Back in June, we had a spell of good weather (this summer's very good for mushrooms...) and our passion flower was in full bloom:

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Passion flower [Re: koraks]
    #8819267 - 08/24/08 08:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

nice koraks :thumbup:

i'm going to steal some cuttings of passionflower from a friend of mine soon... i would imagine that cuttings of fresh growth would root better than older wood...

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlineundersativaskies
blue ridgerepresent
Male User Gallery

Loc: cville
Re: Passion flower [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8819518 - 08/24/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

In virginia they grow everywhere. They even grow where I pick my ovoids. Virginia is for shroomers. And lovers.

--------------------
The wolves howl, the sheep dwell, and the fool casts his whom.

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Passion flower [Re: undersativaskies]
    #8819778 - 08/24/08 11:43 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah,The mother plant does send off suckers,all over the ground with loosely attached roots.It grows wild every where here,and a block up the road from me is a huge patch of it,that spans the whole length of a 50 foot long fence.That's where I got my cuttings from.It's in full bloom too.I hope mine will bloom this year as well.Here is my cutting taken about a month ago.

Offlinec8xmvhch
Regenade Rainmaker
    #8820380 - 08/24/08 02:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i always thought that P.caerulea was at least mildly poisonous?

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: Passion flower [Re: c8xmvhch]
    #8820405 - 08/24/08 02:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ya, incarnata is the one you want for psychoactive properties

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Passion flower [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #8820553 - 08/24/08 02:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

There's a large field of passiflora incarnata next to my house. The best way to ingest I think is to smoke the dried leaf. Especially if you have no weed, it's similar to a mild opiate high, not strong but enjoyable. When the fruit turns light brown and starts to crack you can collect the mature seeds and use them next spring. Depending where you live it won't survive the winter.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Offlinehaymaker
Mr Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: Passion flower [Re: c8xmvhch]
    #8823510 - 08/25/08 06:26 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

c8xmvhch said:
i always thought that P.caerulea was at least mildly poisonous?

it is, but if you make a tea with it most of the poison is removed. It's only trace in quantity anyway.

I've used Caerulea tea loads of times, and although it's weaker than other species, it still works fine.

--------------------
"Make hay while the sun shines"
My Trade List

Offlineplainswalker
Plant Shepherd
Male
Re: Passion flower [Re: haymaker]
    #8823963 - 08/25/08 10:01 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The passionflower most often used medicinally and also the most cold-hardy is Passiflora incarnata.  All the flower pictures so far in this thread have been Passiflora caerulea, which people usually avoid because it has been said that it contains cyanogenic glycosides although I have always been skeptical that there is any danger posed from moderate ingestion.  I have no experience though.  Passiflora edulis is the one most commonly cultivated for fruit, although there are several other species.

Layering is a good way to produce new plants with vines.  Just cutting off a section of vine and sticking it in water or dirt is not a good way.

--------------------
tradelist

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Re: Passion flower [Re: plainswalker]
    #8825837 - 08/25/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well I've ingested P. Caerulea a few times now, and we'll I'm not dead. I would only guess it to be dangerous in copious amounts.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #8826250 - 08/25/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Isn't Incarnata pretty much considered the easiest, as well as the hardiest of the varieties to grow anyway though?

I mean if you've got em wild its one thing, but otherwise Id say why not go with Incarnata?

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Passion flower [Re: koraks]
    #8826788 - 08/25/08 07:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Just make a cutting from a green new branch, it will root easily. The seeds are also very easy to germinate.

FH

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Passion flower [Re: daytripper23]
    #8826807 - 08/25/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ok,just did some research on Passion flower,and it seems all are psychoactive,and some more than others.They contain the same alkaloids a syrian rue.It seems that incarnata is the most potent,and contains harmine,harmaline,and harman.All the others only contain harman.I also know that mine is edulis,and contains harmine.I'm going to go to that big vine,and load up on the flowers tomorrow.I'll tell you,when I made that tea out of those fresh flowers,I couldn't keep my eyes open,it's very sedating.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

#8826839 - 08/25/08 07:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The fruits also have a sleepy thing to them if you take a large quantity of pure juice. And is much tastier.
It also goes well with ice and sugar and some vodka.

FH

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Passion flower [Re: felixhigh]
    #8827130 - 08/25/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah,I read that the fruits contain alkaloids too,and if that big plant produces any I'll try your recipe,sounds yummy!

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #8827353 - 08/25/08 08:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I love the heady effects of passionflower, but didn't know they extended to the fruit as well. Ive got a pasturized "tropical passion fruit" by Welches, and it tastes great too! (although I doubt these commercial juices have the alkaloids)

Anyways, this sounds like some kind of miracle fruit, too bad Ill probably only get flowers this year. What about passionfruit wine or some kind of mixed drink? :crazy2:

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Passion flower [Re: daytripper23]
    #8827921 - 08/25/08 10:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hell yeah man,Passion wine would be awesome!If those plants up the street make fruit I'm going to make some.Wine is so easy to make,with any fruit,or fruit juice.

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

#8832071 - 08/26/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think I'll try and take a fresh piece, should using just water to root it without chemicals work?

--------------------

InvisibleKBG1977
    #8834833 - 08/27/08 08:36 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I say go ahead and try it Amber,it may work.You should try and find a piece with some roots on it,if that's possible.I've tried rooting passion flower in regular old water,and it never rooted.Not saying it can't be done,just saying,it's damn hard to do.

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #8874607 - 09/03/08 11:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Passion flower is a really mild source of MAOI's. Most of the noticable active chemicals are related to benzo's, I wouldn't use passiflora as a source for MAOI's, unless you did an extract maybe. I never noticed any effects really from the flowers or fruits as much from the leaves with incarnata.

There's a whole field of it growing at the reserve next to my house. MOD EDIT: Hookups are NOT allowed in the garden, its right in the rules. , next time I'm home and it's growing healthy.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Edited by felixhigh (09/04/08 12:15 AM)

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Passion flower [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #8884570 - 09/05/08 10:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

My P. edulis survives temps between 25-115F, but the leaves wilt and fall without deep watering.

My (burdened?) leaves are a much darker, glossier green than the ones I'm seeing here, and I definitely notice the effects.

False monarch butterflies are fascinated with my fences, but their orange and black caterpillars are selectively skeletonizing my passionflower vines, over the honeysuckles, berries, and jasmine. For some reason, the butterflies swarm around this single kind of plant. They move forward and away from the vines, forward and away, laying eggs from their butt each time.

Good thing I saved hundreds of seeds!

Offlineplainswalker
Plant Shepherd
Male
Re: Passion flower [Re: durian_2008]
    #8884662 - 09/05/08 10:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, those black and orange caterpillars only eat passionflower vines and they can strip the plant bare if they feel like it.  But it's only for a while and afterwards the plant recovers.

--------------------
tradelist

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Passion flower [Re: plainswalker]
    #8886808 - 09/06/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well,I couldn't get any herbs,so I decided to go grab a few brews on my bike,and yes I'm 30 years old,and still ride a bike.Anyways,I rode by the massive Passion flower vines,and couldn't resist a few flowers,and cuttings.So,I filled my bag up with some flowers and vine cuttings,and now it's time to make some tea with the flowers.Now I've tried this particular flower before,and it kicks ass,and beer intensifies the effect,so I'll report back,and let you guys know what kind of buzz I get this time.PEACE

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
    #8886942 - 09/06/08 01:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've got a passion flower, like the one pictured on the first page, growing in my room. I'm hoping to have it crawl all over. That'd be rad. I guess we'll see if it works. I also have about 9 cuttings trying to root as well.

KBG1977- You wouldn't happen to know what strain that is, would you? Those are beautiful flowers. Heck, if you actually get rooted cuttings that are healthy, I may even offer to buy one or two. LOL. Seriously.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Passion flower [Re: misos]
    #8887082 - 09/06/08 02:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's passiflora incarnata,and I believe it is one of the most potent.I'm feeling my tea now,and I almost can't set up.this flower really works guys,and I'm going to pick some more later on,if I'm not passed out.The cuttings I took had roots on them,so I'll let em soak in some water for a week,then they will be ready for the ground.I'm telling you guys,I got get thousands of cuttings off this monster vine,and the shit has reached about 20 foot up this one tree,and is covered in blooms.I'll have to take some pictures next time I go.

OfflineShroomMan420
91' Til Infinity....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #8887173 - 09/06/08 02:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
I am excited for my thoughts to become positive and of lifeful things instead of negative and suicidal things - Oceanshore23Forest :feelsoldman:

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Passion flower [Re: ShroomMan420]
    #8890005 - 09/07/08 08:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Nice shroom man,is that one of your flowers,and what strain is it?Also,the passion flower kicked my ass last night,and it really is a sedative.It relaxed every part of my body,and I bet it could be psychoactive at higher doses.

Offlinehaymaker
Mr Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #8890280 - 09/07/08 10:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think passiflora extract could be interesting, my mates house is (literally) covered in them, Caerulea that is, so i might try and make some.

--------------------
"Make hay while the sun shines"
My Trade List

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Passion flower [Re: haymaker]
    #8890641 - 09/07/08 12:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think it was my body, not head, that had gotten alarmed at those strange sensations which appear as a trip is setting in.

I feel like you can know what you're getting yourself into. You can be in a good environment, and still feel a sense of terror.

I think this potentiator might help to calm that reflex in some people.

Some visions are bright enough to be abrasive to your psyche. Am I wrong? This might help to take the edge off.

No guarantees, though. Every person's unique chemistry makes him a test pilot. You can think you're a professor, and still learn unreported information about plant side effects in the school of hard knocks.

OfflineRRhoads
chemistry student
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: cahleeforneeah
    #8926210 - 09/13/08 11:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

There used to be a huge passiflora incarnata vine at the end of the cul-de-sac that I grew up on.. I used to eat all the little orange fruits all day long, So tasty. When I found out that the flowers are a psychoactive later in life, I was a little surprised. The flowers are gorgeous though!

--------------------

Edited by RRhoads (09/13/08 11:05 PM)

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Passion flower [Re: RRhoads]
    #8928389 - 09/14/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

RRhoads, how do you use the flowers?

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Re: Passion flower [Re: durian_2008]
    #8928405 - 09/14/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Flowers are edible too, I've always steeped them making a tea. I just sowed the seeds you sent me, I've read it's best to scarify them by using sandpaper, if this batch doesn't come up without it I'll try it next time.

--------------------

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

#8932741 - 09/15/08 11:17 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hello, again. That's alot of work for so many small seeds, and I got a high germ rate from just planting them as-is.

OfflineRRhoads
chemistry student
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: cahleeforneeah
    #8932919 - 09/15/08 11:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Amberica said:
Flowers are edible too, I've always steeped them making a tea.

This. :thumbup:

I should try making some juice some time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck