Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Wax paper/FAE/humidity question
    #10482972 -

Hi all,

I have a very small fully colonized bucket (about half-pint quinoa/millet/spelt spawn to coir/verm/coffee at about 1:3, 4" depth, uncased) that I have just open an put in fruitaison.

It is a side experiment I wanted to make alongside another "made-by-the-book" regular monotub, and I don't have any fruiting chamber, and don't plan to build one for just one small cup.

I covered the bucket with a micro-perforated plastic bag, to see if it could work and keep a good ratio FAE/RH.

Obviously with this bag I have a lot of FAE, but I am a little worried about the RH.

I read some posts about wax paper, and might use it to provide better humidity if it is not some outdated disapproved method.

My questions:

- Can I use some crumbled PVC transparency sheet instead of wax paper?
I thought it could be a good alternative, as it does not become soggy, no need to change it, and it allows more light.

- I would then become worried about FAE, because I read everywhere "FAE is the n°1 pinning trigger".
Should I remove the sheet, mist, fan, then re-cover with the sheet? Several times a day?
Or the wax paper tek is more a set&forget and provides enough FAE to induce a decent pinset?

Sorry for my English, the length of the post, the worried enthusiastic noob questions, and thanks in advance for all your inputs :tongue2:


--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10483037 -

Wax paper should only be used during colonization,  once at 100% you remove the paper to initiate pinning.
GL,
CH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10485723 -

Quote:
CH HELL said: Wax paper should only be used during colonization,  once at 100% you remove the paper to initiate pinning.



... sorry to disagree, but you really don't answer my questions and spread misinformation. I don't want to be rude, but it sounds complete nonsense to me: I really don't see the point in using wax paper during colonization, as the tub/tray/bucket is supposed to be closed and not opened until fully colonized.

Wax paper is used as a way to get a good micro-climate right to stimulate primordia formation when RH is not optimal, a bit as a casing layer.

Edited by NoBrainNoPain (06/10/09 11:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10485742 -

NoBrainNoPain said:
Quote:
CH HELL said: Wax paper should only be used during colonization,  once at 100% you remove the paper to initiate pinning.



... sorry to disagree, but you really don't answer my questions and spread misinformation. I don't want to be rude, but it sounds complete nonsense to me: I really don't see the point in using wax paper during colonization, as the tub/tray/bucket is supposed to be closed and not opened until fully colonized.

Wax paper is used as a way to get a good micro-climate right to stimulate primordia formation when RH is not optimal, a bit as a casing layer.



:thumbup:

if your going to use crumbled wax paper, lift it 2-3 times per day fan and then lay it back down. replace the wax paper every 2-3 days with fresh crumbled wax paper. do this until pins form

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10485819 -

Thanks.

Any advice pro/against the crumbled pvc sheet instead of wax paper?


--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10485876 -

You're suppose to keep PVC transparency sheets away from moisture. It may get water logged way to fast to be useful. But there's only 1 way to find out what would happen to it in a monotub... Try it and post results.

You can leave wax paper on from start to finish, it's a tried and true process.


--------------------
I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.    ~ Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: gubi]
    #10486235 -

thanks for the advice.

I think I'll finally keep the tested and approved wax paper method for this first attempt. Not good changing too much variables at the same time :wink:

Btw, how can I see if the uncased sub is too dry?


--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10486351 -

You will notice the substrate shrinking in away from the sides of your vessel when it starts to dry out. Most likely you will notice this after the first flush becomes mature, as a lot of the water the mycelial network has been holding gets spent on the growing fruits.


--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #10487042 -

Sorry, I meant "how can I see if the uncased sub is too dry before the first flush"

I thought have read that bruising is a sign of lack of moisture, right? Other bad signs?


--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10487113 -

Would be pretty hard to dry out a sub before it fruits. You'd have to have WAY too much air exchange going on and zero misting for that to happen. As far as signs go, I'm not sure on that one. Never had a problem of drying before fruits.


--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10487164 -

bruising, yellowing, sub pulling away from the sides, and the sub physically being lighter when you pick up the sub would all be signs of it drying put.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: blood4blood]
    #10487181 -

Thanks, I'll watch it and be careful


--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10491834 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Wax paper/FAE/humidity question [Re: johnwayne]
    #10492171 -



--------------------
I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.    ~ Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Humidity Question. Frothy 581 1 06/03/01 04:59 PM
by shizifty
* humidity question for casings
( 1 2 all )
cbull 4,399 33 05/27/02 07:01 AM
by indicaz
* Humidity Question cgrossoman 1,350 8 04/02/02 06:34 PM
by cgrossoman
* Heating / Humidity Question Shroomdude 1,437 6 10/19/01 05:31 PM
by shroomme
* Humidity Question ( People good a science needed) Northernsoul 981 2 02/20/02 09:21 AM
by Nomez
* Growroom humidity question Tequila][boY 837 2 02/28/03 04:50 PM
by SixTango
* Terrarium Humidity Question??? fidget 1,179 1 04/02/02 11:16 PM
by Roadkill
* Temperature/Humidity Questions... FreakShow 1,859 1 10/27/02 04:54 PM
by bowling-name

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
2,111 topic views. 31 members, 103 guests and 148 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.