Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
food, muscles, and growth/recovery.
    #10415082 -

Hi shroomery. So I'll try to condense this as I can.

>>>If you dont want to read the long backstory, skip down...

Sometime around june or july last year, I began to notice my health was really shitty. I had problems falling asleep, and I would get really nauseous or get heartburn after every time I ate. so I examined all my eating habits, and realized that I was eating a lot of refined flour and sugar. So I stopped eating my HFCS loaded huge bowl of cranberry almond crunch for breakfast, and started eating shredded wheat and oatmeal instead. Over a few months I eliminated all refined sugar from my diet (except for the small amount of sugar found in any whole wheat bread you can buy around here)

anyway by fall I was actually making recovery, and was enjoying better health then I had at all in my life up to then. I realized that though I was eating more whole foods, I was still just kind of slapping stuff together, not really giving what I was eating huge thought. I realized that if simply eliminating sugar could bring such a great change, there must be more details that I could refine to get even better results, reach an even higher plateau if you will.

Thus I discovered the raw foods/natural hygiene craze. I ran into the idea of calorie restriction, and decided I should try that, not realizing that its a pretty bad idea to do so before you've reached physical maturity. (only 18 years old) For like 4 months I was basically starving, probably getting less than 1000 calories a day, spending lots of time making blended salads everyday, all for silly dietary idealism and the idea that I just needed to "detoxify" more.

At one point I actually weighed as little as 101 lbs. So I ate a little more, and was stable at 108. I had pretty much lost all fat and muscle, I didn't have energy to exercise, my bones were protruding. At somepoint I somehow managed to wake up and realize that this wasn't working. So now I'm closer to a conventional diet, minus the refined stuff. I try to get all of my carbs from whole grains/whole wheat bread and other whole foods like potatoes. I eat eggs for breakfast everyday and have dairy with every meal usually. I try to limit the amount of meat I eat, but  getting enough protein takes priority.

>>>[If you skipped the back story, start reading here]

Sorry that was pretty long. Anyway the issue now is that while I've gained weight back (now 116) I still have very little muscle. I've been exercising frequently, but just can't seem to make any gains. I'm trying to eat more protein, but its ridiculous - My jaw muscles are even really weak, like I had to stop halfway through eating a steak tonight because my jaw fucking actually hurt from fatigue. It always takes me a long time to finish eating... like 60-90 minutes from start to finish for a normal meal.

Any help anyone could possibly give would be infinitely appreciated. I need to gain enough muscle at least to be physically active and not have daily activities giving me pain. I've been weak and scrawny all my life... I never realized how much challenge would actually come when I raised my standards.


--------------------

So hear this please
And watch as your heart speeds up endlessly
And look for the stars as the sun goes down
Each breath that you take has a thunderous sound
Everything, everything's magic

Edited by Force Ten (05/28/09 08:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: Force Ten]
    #10415276 -

I had the exact same problem. I went from 150 at my worst (I'm 6'3'') to a stable 190. What did I do differently?... ayurveda.

Pick up this book.
Perfect Health by Deepak Chopra

I would recommend making some humus to get a lot of fat and protein.
in a blender mix
water
lemon juice
tahini (sesame seed paste)
garbanzo beans
garlic
salt & pepper
there are a lot of recipces on the internet

also...
if you can't digest then you can't assimilate. food combining is VERY important. the book lays all this out.

happy gaining
:cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: ChiefGreenLeaf]
    #10416293 -

Forceten, what are your other stats?  Gender?  Height?

Your case seems pretty extreme.

If you want to gain muscle you obviously have to tear down the muscle fibers in the gym and then you have to eat more.  You don't have to train with weights too much either... I'd say for you to do anymore than 3x a week is unnecessary.  You can stimulate growth more than enough with a 3 day split.  Push/pull/legs -> look into it.

As far as your diet, you obviously know how to eat 'healthy'.  Now, don't get too caught up in the 'clean freak' ideals.  When it comes down to it, they have little to no effect on body composition.  That is, when trying to cut fat or build muscle (macro nutrients and total calories being equal) a McDonald's meal and a home made turkey sandwich meal will give you the same end results.  Now, when it comes to health in terms of LDL cholesterol, I'm sure you wouldn't be eating too much McDonalds to begin with, but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.  Don't be afraid of eating 'dirty' here and there to help you reach your caloric needs.

The rule of thumb in the bodybuilding community for building muscle and ingesting protein is 1g/lb of bodyweight.  For you that would be around 120g protein, which is not much and should be easy to get that much in.  People can get away with eating less protein, but since you being so tiny, I would abstain from trying to get away with eating 'less' protein.  Go for the 1g/lb, and maybe even shoot for 150 or so.  That would be only 600 calories, you know.  Not much.

So do you know how many calories you should be eating a day?

Here is a good way to start... (specially if you aren't gaining weight and you are trying, it simply means you aren't eating enough.  No "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it.)

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculator.  Your BMR is how many calories you expend at complete rest/sleep in a 24hr period.

'Harris Benedict Equation' multiplied by your BMR to give you your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure to maintain at your current weight).  You obviously start to expend more energy than your BMR as soon as you hop out of bed.

These two tools here should be enough to get you started.  They are rough guidelines, but they work.

The general consensus is for you to eat 500 calories above your TDEE (or maintenance calories).  So assuming you're at 1500 cals, eat 2000.  Day in, day out.  Don't notice any weight gain after a couple weeks?  Bump it up another 200-500 calories.

Also, as long as your get your protein requirements and your EFAs, it matters not the ratio of carbs and fats that you need to get.

Seeing as how it takes you an hour to eat a meal, it may be convenient for you to get most of your calories in from fats like peanut butter and olive oil drizzled over anything.  Those foods require little to no mastication.

Hope this helps!


--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: Ginseng1]
    #10417025 -

if you are having a problem consuming meals because our jaw hurts, maybe give protein supplements a try.  Whey is he most poplar form, there is also Soy if you prefer to go that route.

By using a protein powder you can easily mix 40grams of protein to a glass or two of water and up your protein without having to chew at all.

I am not saying to take in ALL of your protein this way, but it might help you get back on track.

you mentioned working out.  drink the protein shake right after working out.

There are also some "weight gainer" protein drinks, that are loaded with carbs.

I would suggest buying a big tub of whey protein, and drink one shake a day containing 40g of protein.  it will tell you on the label how many grams of protein per scoop or serving.


--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (05/28/09 11:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10417299 -

Beans + nuts for protein.

Learn to cook mexican!


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: PDU]
    #10417822 -

I used to be 'weak & scrawny' & ive been doing the last 2 years at the gym, no gains...

I started Yoga last month & my bodys changing everyday

Changre really does come from within

:peace:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: Chronic7]
    #10419159 -

Could you explain the changes with yoga?


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: Chronic7]
    #10420960 -

Chronic777 said:
I used to be 'weak & scrawny' & ive been doing the last 2 years at the gym, no gains...

I started Yoga last month & my bodys changing everyday

Changre really does come from within

:peace:



Heh thanks for the idea man. I've been wanting to try out yoga for a while. Btw I like your avatar. Do you meditate at all?

I went to the store and got some whey protein, and just eating more protein at breakfast and lunch, I noticed a very quick change that I could exercise more just that day. Should be making a whey drink soon.

Oh and a great bonus, I found the kind with no added sweeteners. Sucralose ftl.


--------------------

So hear this please
And watch as your heart speeds up endlessly
And look for the stars as the sun goes down
Each breath that you take has a thunderous sound
Everything, everything's magic

Edited by Force Ten (05/29/09 05:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: food, muscles, and growth/recovery. [Re: Chronic7]
    #10421253 -

Chronic777 said:
I used to be 'weak & scrawny' & ive been doing the last 2 years at the gym, no gains...

I started Yoga last month & my bodys changing everyday

Changre really does come from within

:peace:



Success in the gym requires consistent use of proper training protocols combined with disciplined nutrition geared for the goals you set...nothing more. Yoga is great training, but cardio and strength work is also required for absolute health and strength.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Protein intake after working out? barfightlard 3,406 18 11/20/04 04:43 PM
by FreakQlibrium
* What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income?
( 1 2 all )
swm 5,220 27 02/20/05 12:31 AM
by ummikko
* Muscle Soreness TODAY 1,443 9 05/11/05 08:26 PM
by TODAY
* Interesting protein info (link) World Spirit 957 3 03/11/05 05:43 AM
by Society
* GHB and growth hormone production. Good for you? HagbardCeline 1,990 13 06/15/05 03:37 PM
by Arp
* is it safe to take protein powder? Moonshoe 915 9 01/06/06 03:52 PM
by browndustin
* . z_x_x_z 1,132 8 10/22/05 07:37 PM
by Fucknuckle
* Torn Muscles Dfekt 748 6 03/22/06 11:07 PM
by eligal

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
524 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 11 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 17 queries.