Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

MP3 players / Ipod
    #10340048 - 05/14/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, so i've been through around 5 MP3 players within a few years, and i'm really starting to think they're all cheap junk. I'm not hard on them or anything, and the ones I got were usually around $40, give or take. My last one just broke, so I think i'm done with that. But I really do need something to listen to while at work, so i'm looking for some suggestions.

Anyone find a MP3 player that doesn't suck? Or am I going to have to break down and get an Ipod? I'm assuming they are worth the money, right? I just want something with good sound quality and compact so I can listen at work. Also being able to record off the radio was nice, but not necessary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I know pretty much nothing about these things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineylibniquah
Innerspace Explorer
Male

Loc: GA (unfortunately!)
Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: ImperialCactus]
    #10340072 - 05/14/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

get an ipod touch and jailbreak it, and it's like having a computer in your pocket.  It's awesome. I never leave home without mine.

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: ylibniquah]
    #10340250 - 05/14/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Looks cool, but expensive. I'm far from rich... and probably wouldn't use half the features anyways. But what do you mean by "jailbreak"?

Offlinedieselkush
Stranger

#10340706 - 05/14/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

ive had many small ones wich are ok. I got a 30g Ipod from my uncle who had it in his 5 years of tours in Iraq. he gave it to me and ive had it for about 2 years. it was working good until I opened it up and broke one of the connector pins off. So I bought a 120g zune player and it works like a charm. any that u spend at least a hundred on should be good for a long while.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: dieselkush]
    #10340730 - 05/14/09 10:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ive had my SanDisk for 3 years now.  It hasnt 'broke' but its also not perfect... my biggest grip is that the shuffle algorithm sucks and you cant browse the file tree.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#10341133 - 05/14/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I scored a refurb first gen 8GB iPod touch at apple store for like $150. Save up for one man it's worth it.

I didn't think I'd use the other features either but there are all kinds of cool apps for it.

Don't buy an ipod used they almost always have problems.

I :heart: the iTouch but I wish I could sort, search, rename and delete files.

Not quite a hand-held PC but it's getting there...

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #10350733 - 05/16/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

iPod Touch doesn't have an equalizer or balance control. Apple seems to think that everyone has perfectly linear ears and playback chain. Oh, and let's not forget that you have to use their bloatware to access or load files on the device. There is no direct way to access the file system. You can't manipulate the device by feel in the dark. You have to turn on the blinding backlight even to change the volume or skip a song.

Samsung doesn't support audio books and their GUI looks like something only my 6 year old niece could tolerate with spinning pink kittens and shit like that.

Sony doesn't have a bookmark feature for jumping back into long MP3 files (as in books) without having to find where you left off.

m-Audio uses a retarded joystick thingie to navigate and it has a lifetime of maybe two months. I know, I've been unfortunate to have owned two of them.

Creative last I checked forces you to use their software and doesn't have a left-right balance control.

And they all have buggy firmware and come with piece of shit ear buds that you don't want and pay a premium for instead of letting the customer buy what works for them. I have a box full of them.

I could go on, but the bottom line is all MP3 players today suck. I'm MP3-less for the first time in a decade because everything available is crapware made by the lowest bidder in China and designed with speed-to-market and low price point as the overriding design goal.

And unfortunately, that seems to be exactly what most Americans want these days. Cheap over quality.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Twighlight Zone
Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: Diploid]
    #10351057 - 05/17/09 12:39 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

you really have it out for mac

--------------------
Grow Room

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #10353424 - 05/17/09 01:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

great post, but im also interested in purchasing a protable music device and would like an MP3 player over an iPod or iTouch or any of that.  so what mp3 players recommended?  Are there any players that support flac?

peace

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: DieCommie]
    #10354070 - 05/17/09 03:50 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Qubit said:
Ive had my SanDisk for 3 years now.  It hasnt 'broke' but its also not perfect... my biggest grip is that the shuffle algorithm sucks and you cant browse the file tree.

same here. i've had an e260 rhapsody for 3 years and i love it. the screws in the back recently came out because i dropped it a few times while i was running, but it's held up really well over the years.

i don't think you can get this design anymore, but their newer ones look pretty nice. not as feature-rich as the ipod touch, but it has an fm radio, recorder, and no recognizes a ton of different kinds of files (including video). best mp3 in the $100 price range imo.

Offlineylibniquah
Innerspace Explorer
Male

Loc: GA (unfortunately!)
Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: JT]
    #10364196 - 05/19/09 12:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well, jailbreak you ipod touch and YOU CAN do all that shit... let's see what i can do with mine:

I have a terminal for command-line functions

I can do bit torrents directly to my ipod

I can download things you would normally only stream via safari

I can pw protect my apps

I can download third-party, non-apple-approved apps

I can play media files that i download, without needed to sync the files to my normal ipod library

I COULD (but I do not b/c doing so is counter-productive to the jailbreak community) download cracked versions of the app store pay apps

I can browse my filesystem with full root access

I can remotely do the same thing via openSSH on my computer, for moving files

I can use themes for background and other changes (my slider says 'open sesame' instead of 'slide to unlock') to how my ipod looks

I now have full control over running proceeses, so I can extend battery life and make it more stable.

I can play old nintendo, SNES, gameboy advance, etc. games via emultaors.

also computer games like quake 1 & 3

I didnt have to pay for a copy of wolfenstien 3D

I can change my boot logo from the apple one.

also the ipod touch second gen has a volume toggle. and even if its locked, the music controlls are a double click of the home button away. It's not that bad. Jailbreak it and it's like having a minature Mac in your pocket. My first PC I bought ten years ago had similar specs. And a lot of the games I liked to play on it, I can play on my ipod now.

To anyone who wants a great mp3player, I highly reccomend getting a ipod touch and jailbreaking it. You can't ruin it with software, so go nuts.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: ylibniquah]
    #10365398 - 05/19/09 05:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well, jailbreak you ipod touch and YOU CAN do all that shit

You can't get an equalizer so unless you have reference ears and reference earbuds, the sound is going to be annoyingly wrong.

You can't get a left-right balance, so unless you have perfectly balanced ears, it will be annoying as hell.

You can't skip or fast forward with the device in your pocket or in the dark by feel. You have to take it out of your pocket and blast your dark adapted eyes with the backlight in order to find where the skip/forward button is.

You can't set a bookmark in a 6 hour long MP3 file (as in a long book). If you change to a different file, you'll have to sit there fast-forwarding until you stumble into the same spot where you left off listening to the book.

And I'm not even getting into the buggy firmware that hangs from time to time requiring a reload which wipes all your settings.

To anyone who wants an MP3 player that makes the slightest bit of sense other than fashion sense, stay away from the touch, jailbroken and all. Been there, done that. Only an Apple zealot could like that thing. :thumbdown:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinedopelogic
Avid Lurker

#10374909 - 05/21/09 07:54 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not a big apple guy, but I gotta say I've had the last 3 gens of the ipod and there great. I keep trading in for new ones for the features. The only problem I've ever had was on a 4th gen batter going dead early on me. The ipod is solid as a rock, and super easy to use. I actually dog on my mac friends then try to hide my ipod in my pocket. I'll never own a different brand mp3 player, apple just got it right...

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: MP3 players / Ipod [Re: dopelogic]
    #10375705 - 05/21/09 11:21 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

it's true, you don't realize how bad ipods are until you try something else :P

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order