Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it?
    #10146896 -

Okay,
I'm a student of everyone here. So riddle me this... Why is it that after setting up rye jars, with tyvek filters, you then PUNCTURE the filters with a needle to inoculate? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of filtering the air from the needle holes/gas exchange holes in the first place since this makes a gaping hole in the filter?

This has confused me. So on my shiitake, I punctured the hole (only one, though my jar has three inoculation holes), and covered the hole in the filter with some micropore tape afterwards. Is this a good way to go about things?

Oh one other thing... How can you tell when your jars are at 25-30% colonization? How long does it usually take form a spore syringe?

Edited by NeuroticTrip (04/11/09 09:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: NeuroticTrip]
    #10146913 -

1.  I only puncture tyvek if I made my entire lid out of it.  Then I tape it up.  Otherwise I use a standard lid puncture two large holes and cover it with tyvek and puncture another small hole which I seal up with silicone as a self-healing inoculation point. 

2.  You estimate.  When about a quarter of your jar is colonized, you shake.  It'll take something like a couple of weeks, usually.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: NeuroticTrip]
    #10146920 -

this is a legit question as far as the tyvec goes ..when your jar os 25 -30% colonized by looking at the surface area of the jar and guessing if
1/4 or 1/3 of the jar is visible with mycelium

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: shrooman420]
    #10146931 -

Covering the hole with micropore tape was the proper thing.  However, Shiitake rarely fruit from spores. Once growers move to edibles, they acquire a laminar flow hood and inoculate with agar wedges from a proved fruiting strain.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: shrooman420]
    #10147022 -

shrooman420 said:
this is a legit question as far as the tyvec goes ..when your jar os 25 -30% colonized by looking at the surface area of the jar and guessing if
1/4 or 1/3 of the jar is visible with mycelium



So, generally speaking you look to see if a 1/4 or 1/3rd of the SURFACE of the jar is colonized? Then you shake?

RogerRabbit said:
Covering the hole with micropore tape was the proper thing.



Coooooool. That gives me some peace of mind. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: NeuroticTrip]
    #10147030 -

Why not just use 2 layers of Tyvek, lift the top one to inject through the bottom one and then replace the top one?


--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10147258 -

correct shake lightly but enough to spread mycelium with the rest of the  spawn .after that leave it alone and it will colonize quickly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10147325 -

Here's what I did (for what it's worth) and I use tyvek exclusively btw.  I simply made a glove box from a cardboard box, and Plexiglas!  heh, it's just too easy!  Next, I cut two arm holes on opposite sides of the box, which i shouldn't of done, they both should be imho on the same side, but whatever.  I'll do that when i upgrade to a see-through plastic tote.  Once that's done and been sanitized properly, one can lift jar lids in there (for a very short amount of time).  Out of making jars once a week for 3 weeks, at about 7 jars per week, I got exactly one cotam, and that was my own fault.  I punctured the jar lid the wrong dir, and when i went to put the tyvek down, I stupidly thought everything would be fine, but neh, the metal punctured the tyvek, and it got a green spot directly under the exposed hole, but whatever, lesson learned.  Hope this helps :thumbup:

LokelYokel said:
Why not just use 2 layers of Tyvek, lift the top one to inject through the bottom one and then replace the top one?



that's a good idea btw.  ill try it, just to do something new!  even though, that could get dicey when the execution is taking place.  we'll see though...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: sage1o1]
    #10147367 -

Quote:
that could get dicey when the execution is taking place.  we'll see though...



Just cut the bottom piece bigger so you can band it around the neck of the jar below the threads to hold it in place when you lift the top one.


--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10147559 -

LokelYokel said:
Quote:
that could get dicey when the execution is taking place.  we'll see though...



Just cut the bottom piece bigger so you can band it around the neck of the jar below the threads to hold it in place when you lift the top one.



I like, i like!:crazy2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: sage1o1]
    #10147960 -

Two layers would be pretty wasteful as micropore tape is cheap and works great already.

G2G is a good example of why tyvek is useful/not punctured as well as what RR said above.

PS Shiitakes work best if you can get the agar wedge into a jar of sterile water with a blender base and use the blended mixture to inoculate. (From experience and Stamets' book)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: Shroominit]
    #10148038 -

Two words: Injection ports.


--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: Shroominit]
    #10148076 -

The last time I got a few envelopes out of the FedEx drop box they cost me a total of $0.00 American.:D  I took the money I saved on tape bought a joint and got wasted so I guess it is kind of a waste, so to speak.:stoned:


--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: Shroominit]
    #10148229 -

I didn't say expensive. Wasteful as in extra waste created, as in the crap that fills our country more and more each day in the dumps and landfills. :thumbdown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: Shroominit]
    #10148494 -

Its not like you can't reuse the Tyvek, at least the top layer.  It would be a waste to toss it out after one use.  Believe me, I am aware and concerned about the amount of stuff that goes into the landfill.  There are very few furnishings in my house that are not from Craigslist, garage sales, or thrift stores. In fact, the clothes I'm wearing right now are from Goodwill.  I drive a 94 Metro, bought second hand, that I go to junkyards for parts to keep it running.  I recycle whatever I can and could probably go over a month with out filling my normal sized trash bin that actually goes to the landfill.  I'm pretty sure my lifestyle offsets the few grams of Tyvek "Wasted" in the growing process, but I do appreciate your concern.:thumbup:

ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"


--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What's the point of tyvek if you're going to puncture it? [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10148652 -

Glad to hear it. I try to keep my 'disposable goods' to a minimum in this hobby as well as my everyday life and would encourage others to do their part as well.

As long as you're not wasting it, I have no problem with whatever method you use.

:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Types of Tyvek Itheus 1,474 0 03/05/10 03:51 PM
by Itheus
* Tyvek lids and syringes Rahz 575 0 03/12/08 08:40 PM
by Rahz
* Why do you use tyvek when you just....
( 1 2 all )
Derk 2,919 28 03/14/08 03:57 AM
by Subbedhunter420
* Where is tyvek available?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Icesyn 10,959 109 04/18/14 05:21 PM
by origin novice
* Tyvek and RTV
( 1 2 all )
krill 5,082 26 01/22/06 12:00 AM
by agar
* Self Healing Injection Ports with Tyvek
( 1 2 3 all )
Casiopia 3,758 43 03/29/20 09:20 PM
by Rahz
* Foil lid on rye jars with tyvek...will this work? firefairy323 868 3 01/23/12 02:06 AM
by firefairy323
* Too much Tyvek? Landslide 799 10 03/24/11 11:33 AM
by EvilMushroom666

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,129 topic views. 7 members, 106 guests and 157 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.