Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

How do these Rye Quarts look to you ??
    #1008342 - 10/30/02 10:49 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This is my friends second attempt at rye quarts, his first attempt failed. This time he decided to try a bit different tek as he read was recommended. The tek is as follows.

1. Bring distilled water to a boil add rye, reduce to slow simmer for 45 minutes stirring occasionally

2. Strain, Rinse and drain thouroughly.

3. Load into quarts 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up.

4. PC for 75 minutes.

These jars unfortunately look a lot like my first attempts that failed. How do they look to you vets ? Are these even worth inoculating ? Do they look to wet ? Any tips offered would be appreciated !!!

This is how they looked coming out of the PC before shaking.

This is how they looked during shaking, all they wanted to do was clump together.

This is how the finished product looked after shaking as best as I could.

And a close up of the kernals after shaking was completed, BTW they were shaken while still HOT. Sooooo do they look to wet to you ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

Loc: Arkansas...man I love thi...
Re: How do these Rye Quarts look to you ?? [Re: OZZ]
    #1008372 - 10/30/02 10:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Its hard to tell whether or not those are shadows or standing amounts of water in the bottom of your jar. A few questions for you though....do you have any kinda of hole in the lid of your jars? If the answer is yes then my next question is did you cover the lid with foil while the jars were in the pressure cooker to ensure that no extra moisture got in. In the picture where the jar is on the side it looks like all the rye is clumped together, can you verify this? Another question for you...did you add any gympsum to your rye jars to reduce the clumping?

Edited by PsilosShaman (10/30/02 11:14 PM)

OfflineXiC_clone
Calls Shots 'Round Here
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth 25XX
    #1008405 - 10/30/02 11:08 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The bottom of the jar looks WAY to moist. The rest looks ok, but you see that thin layer on the bottom that is alway stuck to the jar? No good. I can literaly see the water & grains clumped @ the bottom.

I have no EXP w/ rye, I use wheat berries. But my jars never looked that watery. Also, my friend can tell if a jar is waterlogged if it is signigantly heavier when it comes out of the PC'er than when it went in.

I dont see u useing this, but there is a part of the tek u left out.
You add a very thin layer of dry verm to the bottom of the jar before you fill it w/ the grains. This is to suck up the Xcess moisture.

And he is right, if u dont use foil on the jars, water can fall in. Regaurdless of where the water mark is on the jars when they go in. A PC gets REAL hot, and boils the fuck out of the water. I can only immagine how high the bubbles inside it get, and how violent the water jumps around.

-XiC

--------------------
Don't soak your WBS dummy! There's an =>easy<= way.
For Your Health!

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: How do these Rye Quarts look to you ?? [Re: XiC_clone]
    #1008432 - 10/30/02 11:15 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I took the bands off the jar lids and inserted a filter disc, I then wrapped and covered VERY well with Tin Foil just as I have done with PF tek. You are correct PsilosSHamen that the rye is clumping together terribly and I did not use any gypsum.

That is a great idea about putting a small amount of verm on the bottom, I will try that next. I am dumbfounded though as to how this tek failed and they got this wet. My first attempt at rye came out the same only that time I put 1 cup rye to 3/4 cups water and let soak for 24 hours, then PC'd for 1 hr 30 min. and received the same outcome .... wet, clumpy rye that failed on me. Any suggestions ?

THe input is greatly appreciated !!!!

OZZ

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

#1008438 - 10/30/02 11:17 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Also there isnt any standing water in the bottom, just SUPER soggy rye sticking to the jar bottom that will NOT come off.

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

#1008463 - 10/30/02 11:25 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm....and you strained the rye very well for 30 min. or so. I put my grain in a very fine mesh strainer and let it sit for a while occasionally shaking it to ensure all the water is completely gone. Try the gymspum too you wont be dissapointed. Here is a link of recipes for you too.... Grain recipe TEK

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: How do these Rye Quarts look to you ?? [Re: PsilosShaman]
    #1008469 - 10/30/02 11:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet, thanks for the link ... I will go read it right now, I think I may know what I did wrong though, I didnt strain for that long at all !! Maybe like 5 mintues tops !! Could that be it ? It seemed as though I got almost all the water out ... hmmmmmmmm

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

#1008480 - 10/30/02 11:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

#1008484 - 10/30/02 11:32 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Key word there was almost all the water out. You need to strain the grain longer then you did. Give that a shot and I am sure you wont be having the problem with the moisture content. I had another idea pop into my head while I was typing this. Are you putting the jars directly on the bottom of the pressure cooker?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1008487 - 10/30/02 11:32 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Your Rye is way too wet my friend.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1009111 - 10/31/02 03:46 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I reckon it's necessary to simmer the grain til plump, then dump it into a strainer and run it under the cold tap to rinse all the goo off, the leave it to drain for 15-20 minutes before putting it into the jars.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #1009156 - 10/31/02 04:20 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

What the hell is everybody here talking about? Bring water to boil,add rye, then PC?

All you have to do is put slightly more water than rye (ei:160ml water 140 ml rye) in a jar. Then PC for 75 min.
No problems

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: How do these Rye Quarts look to you ?? [Re: MicronMagick]
    #1009201 - 10/31/02 04:39 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

To restate what MicronMagick correctly observerd:

it looks as though you're working with "Rye Grass Seed" rather then "Rye Berries"

Which requires a different recipe.

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: How do these Rye Quarts look to you ?? [Re: Anno]
    #1009514 - 10/31/02 07:02 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I really appreciate it guys !!!!!!!!!! Shamen .... no they were not sitting on the bottom of the PC, I did have the plate in therre that came with the PC. Rye Grass Seed hugh ??!! That makes sense because it sure doesnt look like any of the pics of Rye berries that I have seen. I bet they are rye grass seed because I have been following the tek to a T when I let them soak overnight.

So anyone have a link to a tek for rye grass seed ??. You say 1 cups RGS to 1/2 cup water, let soak for 24 hours and then PC for 75 minutes ?? That should do the trick ?? Do I need to let it soak for 24 hours or can I just load quarts with 1 cup RGS and 1/2 cup water and PC for 75 min ???

Thanks a ton guys !! REALLY !

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

#1009521 - 10/31/02 07:07 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

MicronMagick - after visiting your sit and viewing the pictures, I most definately have Rye Grass Seed !! That brings me to my next question, what is the difference as far as usability of the two (RGS and Rye Berries ) ?? Pros and Cons of each ? What do you preffer ?

Seriously guys, I was about to start dropping the water content considerably lower then the teks because I had a hunch they were to wet !!. You all saved me a ton of time.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1009557 - 10/31/02 07:35 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Rye grass seed is for production of sclerotia of P. mexicana and P. tampanensis, rye is for spawn preparation.

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: How do these Rye Quarts look to you ?? [Re: Anno]
    #1009607 - 10/31/02 08:11 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm ... So I cant use this RGS for spawn prep at all ??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder