Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEarth Shaman
Earth Lover

Tips for Counteracting Nausea?
    #989732 - 10/24/02 03:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Next month, I plan to journey with Psilocybin mushrooms for spiritual enlightenment. This month, I'm preparing for it, which includes growing and praying over the shrooms.
I've read a few posts on helping prevent nausea, but I haven't found quite the answers I'm looking for. I've read that one should eat a bit of ginger beforehand, and generally only take the sacrament on an empty stomach. I've also heard a bit of orange juice may help nullify nausea.
I'm looking for something a bit more definitive. My knowledge of plant medicine tells me that not only ginger, but a few other plants like sassafrass and chamomile are helpful in preventing nausea, but I'd like to know ways other than ingestion of anti-nausea supplements to keep myself from puking.
To me, puking is one of the most uncomfortable and undesirable activities imagineable. I'd do anything to keep from doing it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

--------------------
Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

"Whatever you take from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Native American Proverb

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Tips for Counteracting Nausea? [Re: Earth Shaman]
    #989760 - 10/24/02 04:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

do you usually get sick when you eat shrooms or are you just being careful? most people don't get sick, me and all my shroomy friends included.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlinecelestialtripper
Test Pilot
Male User Gallery

#989828 - 10/24/02 04:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well i always try and eat just a little something before i trip and ive never had any neausea when tripping...maybe you should try making some shroom tea instead of eating them and see if that helps...

Offlinebrainwreck
Fungal Ally
Re: Tips for Counteracting Nausea? [Re: celestialtripper]
    #990058 - 10/24/02 05:21 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I know of the nausea aspect. I have three recomendations:

1) do not move around during the first two hours of your trip.
2) have some dried Papaya spears handy to nibble on.
3) Have fresh clean spring water handy to sip if you feel things boiling upwards.

I came up with dried Papaya because I had read in a natural medicine book that the seed extract is administered to counteract extreme nausea.

I did these things for my last mushroom trip and I hardly got a tummy reaction at all... and I was tripping harder than I ever have. I did not have to drink the water until later long after the tummy stage had passed.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #990456 - 10/24/02 07:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Take anti-emetics (dramamine, dramamine 2, and just about any other motion sickness pills). Pot helps a lot too, as does ginger.

Offlinehuboldium
Re: Tips for Counteracting Nausea? [Re: Remy]
    #991712 - 10/25/02 02:23 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

get some ginger caplets, take 2 about half an hour before you eat them, this helps a lot, and just in case keep some pot around, if you start feeling sick just smoke some and your nausea should fly away

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #991762 - 10/25/02 02:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Glad to see at least a few people still respect the sacred food of the gods and don't take it just to get fucked up. There is a bigger picture.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Invisiblemr crisper

#992271 - 10/25/02 12:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

hi earth shaman.
from my experience, purging is an essential part of the trip if you are planning to learn something. i'm sure you have read up on s.american ayahuasca ceremonies, where purging always takes place. view it as a cleansing of the temple you call your body.
on another level it is a symbol of surrendering to the trip, a symbol of letting go.
the more you fight the urge to throw up, the more uncomfortable you will become.
after a few experiences where i did give up and head for the bathroom, the nausea would be gone by the time i got to the door.
the act of giving in to it is somehow required. first step towards squishing the ego, perhaps?

of course, if you're planning to be out and about in public, its a different matter.

Offlinemikey_
SURFING ON SINEWAVES
Male

Loc: Liverpool
Re: Tips for Counteracting Nausea? [Re: mr crisper]
    #992653 - 10/25/02 03:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i tripped last saturday and my body didnt feel to great. pot does help with nausea but can take the trip to high levels pretty quick. i've never taken any motion sickness pills while tripping but i guess they'd help.
ive found that changing your environment helps, like on saturday; my whole body was aching and my stomach was queasy. i got up and walked round upstairs and tried to take my mind off my body. it soon stopped and i had a great time after that. it seems my last 2 trips have given me uncomfortable body load and i'm gonna give it a rest til next year.
so basically what i'm saying is; try something different, occupy yourself with an activity that requires concentration or just something that'll take your mind off the nausea.

--------------------
The poison is the dose - Paracelsus
Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food - Hippocrates

OfflineEarth Shaman
Earth Lover

#992680 - 10/25/02 03:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Wow.  There seem to be some really good ideas.
To clarify, this will be my first journey with teonanacatl.
In reply to Mr. Crisper, I have heard a bit about the ayahuasca ceremonies, and remembered "purging" being a part of it.  I've also seen other shamans (usually of the s. american variety) who puke up the sickness of people after they take it into themselves in the curing process.  Others (myself included) just cough like crazy after doing that kind of healing.  I much prefer coughing until I'm blue to puking.  I don't know why, but puking has always been a major source of revulsion to me.  But your idea of giving over to it to keep it from happening is VERY interesting.  If nausea does occur with me, I'll be sure to remember your words!
Brainwreck, I had no idea about the papaya.  Wow!  My learning never ceases, and I've been studying plant medicine for 6 years!  Thank you so much for that information; I might just use it.
Regarding things to take to keep nausea to a minimum, I will probably use ginger.  I've heard dramamine and those types of anti-emetics can lead to "bad trips".
Socratesmind, thank you for your words.  Hopefully I'll see more posts from you.  :grin:
If anyone else has any more suggestions, please, feel free.  I'm always open to my fellow human beings.

Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

"When you take something from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Walking Buffalo, 1869 

--------------------
Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

"Whatever you take from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Native American Proverb

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #992799 - 10/25/02 04:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think you've anything to worry about. I fast for a good 6-8 hours just in case and lay down for the first couple of hours. Never any nausea whatsoever.

I'd just try the mushrooms by themselves and see whether you do actually need any methods to reduce nausea. My guess is you won't - with ayahuasca and peyote you might suffer but mushrooms are very gentle on you physically.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Tips for Counteracting Nausea? [Re: Xlea321]
    #4336978 - 06/25/05 08:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

In my experience, 90% of the nausea is mental. Relax, breathe, let go. That's all you can do. As for something physical to do, fasting a bit and adding a bit of ginger to crushed shrooms has helped. Good luck.

Offlinedrugsaregood
PhD B+
 User Gallery

Re: Tips for Counteracting Nausea? [Re: WeAreAllOne]
    #4337045 - 06/25/05 09:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Nausea is 100% not mental. It is anything but mental. Psilos act on your nervous system, increasing sensitivity. Where are the first nerves that experience the psilos? In your mouth and stomach, hence the nausea and tingle in your mouth. You're actually "feeling" you stomach more than you are used to and this causes uncomfort/nausea.

That is all from a book called "Buzzed", don't know the author, I lent it to someone and they moved to Tasmania for the summer.

You'll get used to it when you trip enough. Dramamine works a little, ZANTAC works totally. I've recommended ZANTAC to a lot of new trippers and everyone appreciates it. It's OTC, but not cheap. Good luck.

--------------------
For "incoherent dribble" (drivel) try www.dictionary.com

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need

OfflineOblong
Stranger
Re: Tips for Counteracting Nausea? [Re: drugsaregood]
    #4339233 - 06/26/05 03:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

sweet zantac you say, the heartburn medicine? I got some lying around here somewhere... plan on tripping this week :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience