Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
How much money in electricity in US dollars
    #9882197 -

do you think it takes to heat up a AA 941 and keep at 15 psi for an hour or two? Just interested if anyone has a guess. I use a broil king electric double burner unit I bought for about 20-30 dollars, btw.


--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: chobumms]
    #9882206 -

does ur post make sense to you?

r u just asking how much money it costs to run an electric burner for a couple hours


--------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

"The Downfall of Mankind; is Believing He Has Limitations."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: just me]
    #9882281 -

A couple cents max dude. You won't have that much of a bill increase.


--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: just me]
    #9882301 -

just me said:
does ur post make sense to you?

r u just asking how much money it costs to run an electric burner for a couple hours



Yes, and yes. I'm not asking ya'll to be master el;ectric engineers, I'm just asking opinions. like 50 cents? two dollars? 5 dollars? I mean, I know if it's forty degrees in the house it'll make a difference. Just wanted your opinions.


--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: chobumms]
    #9882313 -

If you told me your stoves wattage I could tell you the cost (include your electric rate too). It's not very hard to do it's simple multiplication. At most you may have to do a conversion from watts to kilowatts. Which would take like 2 seconds to do. But seriously man it can't be more than a couple cents. Hydroponic grow lights are only a couple cents to a dollar a day and I'm sure those have about the same or more wattage than a modern stove.


--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9882338 -

Even though I think this is the most ridiculous question ever asked in the pursuit of cultivation, I'd like to add that most electrical companies have higher costs for a watt during peak use hours than they do at non-peak hours. So using electricity at 1pm may be cheaper than using it at 1am, but the monetary difference between them is probably the difference of rounding a cent up or down.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: c1dh3d]
    #9882523 -

Nothing crazy about trying to figure out your electric costs, I do it all the time with my appliances to cut down on my bill.

It's pretty simple to get a rough idea.  First you need to find the watt useage on your item in question, in this case your stove.

You're billed in kWh (kilo watt hour).  That's 1000 watts used for 1 hour.  If you turned on a 100 watt light bulb and let it run for an hour, that's 0.1 kWh. 

You'll have to check your electric bill to see what they charge, last time I checked it was something like 8 cents for me.  So a 100 watt lightbulb running for 10 hours would cost me 8 cents.

Lets assume you're using an AA 75x-120 Sterilizer though. It's about the same size as an AA941 but has it's own built in heating element.

This thing uses up to 1650 watts.

I would probably run it for 90 minutes on average (for pints/quarts).
(30 mins to heat up, 60 mins to cook) (i'm just assuming here).

Let's assume it's on max power for 30 mins to heat up then half power for 60 mins to keep the PSI stabilized.

0.825 kWh for the warm up
0.825 kWh for to keep warm
=
1.650 kWh
13.2 cents (for me)

Now for comparison, I have an electric radiator heater I turn on when it's really cold or if I have guests over that are used to warmer houses  (it's bout 40f in my place atm, and I have a window open for fresh air :-D) (34f outside atm)

On maximum it runs about 1500 watts (1.5 kWh PER hour on high)
Lets say I was like my mom and liked the heat on 80f and used this thing 24/7 in the winter.

There's 28 days in feb, 24 hours in a day. 672 hours in the month.
That's 1008 kWh or $81 just to run that heater all month and that's just ONE little heater that can barely heat a room!

So I save a couple hundred a month in the winter by just putting a hoodie on instead of turning on the heat.


--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: c1dh3d]
    #9882821 -

c1dh3d said:
Even though I think this is the most ridiculous question ever asked in the pursuit of cultivation, I'd like to add that most electrical companies have higher costs for a watt during peak use hours than they do at non-peak hours. So using electricity at 1pm may be cheaper than using it at 1am, but the monetary difference between them is probably the difference of rounding a cent up or down.



really? more ridiculous than, "I bought these mushrooms, will I get fucked up?" as a first post? not a chance in hell. But thanks, I didn't know this.


--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9882826 -

ronjohn7779 said:
If you told me your stoves wattage I could tell you the cost (include your electric rate too). It's not very hard to do it's simple multiplication. At most you may have to do a conversion from watts to kilowatts. Which would take like 2 seconds to do. But seriously man it can't be more than a couple cents. Hydroponic grow lights are only a couple cents to a dollar a day and I'm sure those have about the same or more wattage than a modern stove.



Yeah, agreed on the wattage of grow lights. I knew I was going to get flamed, but I'm thinking of growing commercially for edibles, so I thought I'd ask.


--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: chobumms]
    #9882899 -

chobumms said:
c1dh3d said:
Even though I think this is the most ridiculous question ever asked in the pursuit of cultivation, I'd like to add that most electrical companies have higher costs for a watt during peak use hours than they do at non-peak hours. So using electricity at 1pm may be cheaper than using it at 1am, but the monetary difference between them is probably the difference of rounding a cent up or down.



really? more ridiculous than, "I bought these mushrooms, will I get fucked up?" as a first post? not a chance in hell. But thanks, I didn't know this.



Close :smile: Very close!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: c1dh3d]
    #9882957 -

No more than 20 cents to run a pressure cooker for a two hour cycle, and that 20 cent figure is based on you living in a high cost area.  If you're getting power for 5 cents per kwh, you probably won't spend over a dime for a two hour cycle.  All you have to do is look at your last bill and see what they charge per kwh(one thousand watts of power for one hour) and multiply it by 2, for a MAXIMUM that you'll pay.  It will probably be less because you turn down the stove when pressure is reached.

If you have an electric water heater, it costs more than that every time you take a shower.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9883410 -

what about gas  :poke:


--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much money in electricity in US dollars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9885509 -

RogerRabbit said:
No more than 20 cents to run a pressure cooker for a two hour cycle, and that 20 cent figure is based on you living in a high cost area.  If you're getting power for 5 cents per kwh, you probably won't spend over a dime for a two hour cycle.  All you have to do is look at your last bill and see what they charge per kwh(one thousand watts of power for one hour) and multiply it by 2, for a MAXIMUM that you'll pay.  It will probably be less because you turn down the stove when pressure is reached.

If you have an electric water heater, it costs more than that every time you take a shower.
RR



Thanks, all I was looking for was this simple answer, not to get flamed. There's no need to flame. I'm just putting together overhead costs. You fail to plan, you plan to fail...


--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* electric pc's *DELETED* djred 874 7 11/19/04 09:53 PM
by djred
* ELECTRIC BLANKET INCUBATOR agar 1,494 0 12/02/04 11:15 AM
by agar
* electric range? lostTouch 1,551 13 03/01/05 08:05 AM
by scatmanrav
* Light Setup/No electrical outlet ACN45 704 6 04/16/06 03:48 PM
by ArcanePerception
* Using an electric Heater as an incubator?
( 1 2 all )
donkey_lipz 3,537 29 07/22/05 02:10 PM
by donkey_lipz
* portable electric stoves PeopleThought 1,656 13 02/20/06 07:15 AM
by jamman
* Electric Blanket ezsefix 1,467 8 04/14/06 01:01 PM
by cappa
* masking tape vs electrical tape *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Adden 5,595 35 05/29/03 06:25 PM
by LiL_KuSsH

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
802 topic views. 10 members, 56 guests and 256 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.