Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebkproof
Stranger
leaking jars
    #987339 - 10/23/02 07:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i cooked some jars in a pressure cooker with the lids almost tight. I removed the jars from the cooker when finished and imediatley tightened them. A few of the jars started to suck air in as they cooled, no matter how hard i tightened the lids they continued to suck. after a few minutes they stopped. I tried cooking them agian, this time with the lids tight and got the same problem. Oh ya, i am using fliped lids with packing tape over the holes. the leaking has to come from the lid being upside down but i was told this was neccessary so that there is some gas exchange.

a couple questions.

first, should i toss the leaking jars or wait and see if they grow any contam. if they dont, is it ok to inocculate them?

second, is it neccessary to flip the lids or can i just use them the normal way, the side with the seal down, thereby eliminating the leaking.

p.s. sorry if these are dumb questions, i'm a begginer

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: leaking jars [Re: bkproof]
    #987380 - 10/23/02 07:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have always put the rubber side down, left the wholes untaped, and just covered with aluminum foil. You should let the jars cool down overnight in the pressure cooker, or at least don't open it until the pressure goes down naturally (not by running water on the cooker).

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#987417 - 10/23/02 08:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I say wait and see. If the jars look clear in 3 or 4 days, go for it.
Some older info refers to glass lids, but the metal ones work fine if you flip 'em.

Invisibledigitalshaolin
Irish guy

Loc: hot, dry close to mexico
    #987439 - 10/23/02 08:21 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

"the leaking has to come from the lid being upside down but i was told this was neccessary so that there is some gas exchange. "

What gasses did you expect to be exchanged?? If you have foil on around the lids you should have no problem but some air is going to move the layer of verm on the top and the foil is kinda the protection for that fact. but don't worry to much about it.

Offlinesubtlepoint
journeyman
    #987465 - 10/23/02 08:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you should have a layer of foil under the lid to keep the seal tight and prevent air exchange before innoculation, this little step can really keep your jars contam free. Hope this helps.

Happy Shrooming,

--------------------
- subtlepoint

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: leaking jars [Re: subtlepoint]
    #987477 - 10/23/02 08:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Foil under the lid is pretty useless if you ask me. The dry verm layer is there to ALLOW air exhange while keeping mold and bacteria out by giving them a place to land, but without nutrition so they can't spread basically. If you plan on keeping your sterilized jars aroung a while (like weeks or longer) before innoculating them, then maybe a foil barrier might help, but why not just wait to sterilize then?

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #987523 - 10/23/02 09:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Just so you know air expands when it is heated and contracts when it is cooled. I would be very carefull about pressure cooking with no way for air to get in and out of the jars as they can explode. believe me i have seen it. Just leave the jars in the pressure cooker untill they cool. Or take them out and take the risk (i like to put them in plastic baggies to cool).

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation