Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Identify, australian mushrooms.
    #9818132 -

Found in rainforest type area, next to a dam. I found each of them in different areas and by themselves.





Spore print coming soon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: PastryChef]
    #9818182 -

Looks like Amanita phalloides.


--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9818453 -

I've seen these bastards in fields where cubes grow. They almost look the same from a distance until you see under the cap! :mad2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: Nikon]
    #9818478 -

I hope the OP hasn't tried nomnoming it in the meantime...  :uhoh:


--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9819497 -

Amanita phalloides looks similar,but these appear to have red staining.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: PastryChef]
    #9819515 -

Quote:
Looks like Amanita phalloides.



Take a closer look at the base of the stem, its not in that section.

Quote:
I've seen these bastards in fields where cubes grow. They almost look the same from a distance until you see under the cap! :mad2:



These won't be growing out in the field with cubes unless there are trees nearby.

This is an interesting species, its one of the rubescent (red staining) Amanitas.

Its from section Validae: (maybe you can find it in this list)

http://pluto.njcc.com/~ret/amanita/sectvali.html

Its similar to A. rubescens but it has a much larger bulb at the base of the stem.

You should email these pics to Rod Tulloss and see what he says about them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: DannyGlick]
    #9819531 -

I am red/green colorblind. No kidding, given the right (bad) lighting and hue of color, I can't tell green from brown from red, etc.
Apart from that I know that Australia has quite a lot of different fungi than we have here. That's why I said "looks like". I will always be careful to give a 100% ID on any mushroom that I don't personally come across on my hikes and hunts. Seeing them in a book is one thing, actually seeing, smelling and feeling a couple of specimen for real is something else entirely for me.


--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9819567 -

It has nothing to do with the color, it does not look like A. phalloides because of the shape of the base of the stem.

Compare these with those. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9819590 -

Yeah, I see where you are coming from.


--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9819608 -

Quote:
Take a closer look at the base of the stem, its not in that section.



So section Validae would not have a rim or volval remnants encasing the base? I don't understand that stuff much yet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9819619 -

Ok just read the RT link.I think I understand.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: DannyGlick]
    #9820086 -

Quote:
So section Validae would not have a rim or volval remnants encasing the base? I don't understand that stuff much yet.



I said Validae because I think all the rubescent taxa are there.  Also the base of the stem does not have a sack or a cup, just a big bump.  If you look at the other species in Validae, they either lack a bump at the base of the stem or they have one, but it isn't a cup / sack type volva. 

Its kind of hard to understand, but if you go to this page and scroll down you can see the descriptions of all the sections.  Flip through a bunch of the species in Validae and Phalloideae and you'll see what I mean.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: PastryChef]
    #9823016 -

Welcome to the Shroomery, Mate.  I was just going to say you found cubes but these guys saved me.  :blush:


just kidding


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: PastryChef]
    #9833122 -

I asked Debbie Veiss about it and she said  "curious. I could use a better base shot...doesn't look membranous from my perspective, altho it is bulbous.

definitely not phalloides. tree associates? reddening? could be a member of the validae, like novinupta and rubescens...certainly wouldn't eat it! did they try the Australian mushroom sites? I'd ask Rod, but he is currently out of the loop and at a family funeral, not in a good place, mentally.

more photos!, esp. full on sharp side views. cut it in half and take a photo, too. observe for possible reddening. also it looks to have an appendiculate margin to the cap...perhaps it's the missing link!

oh yeah, and if the guy/gal has meltzers, check to see if the spores are amyloid or not...just putting a drop on a spore print on a glass slide is sufficient; no scope necessary.

I'd like to hear what this turns out to be...or be glad to opine further with more data.

No description or photo that I can find, but this name on Rod's site is intriguing, and a possible fit to that bulbous-based amanita maybe section validae:

Amanita austrobulbosa, supposedly a "work in progress"

(again, the appendiculate margin is NOT a fit for that section, but heck, some of the the mammals down there lay eggs!)."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9833718 -

Very, very, very interesting.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9841679 -

Another name for you.. Amanita ochrophylla? - It's the common large-bulbed Amanita you get in damp forests here. Pinkish tones are often present.

P.S. those two mushrooms look slightly different, one more bulbous, one with more red, one with more farinaceous veil remnants.. maybe you have two different types?


--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: PastryChef]
    #26848758 -

http://

Hi,
I’m new to the website and just wondering if anyone has any information on this type of mushroom? Found in western Victoria .
Thank you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: Metalinyourhead90]
    #26848793 -

Metalinyourhead90 said:
http://

Hi,
I’m new to the website and just wondering if anyone has any information on this type of mushroom? Found in western Victoria .
Thank you



Looks To Be Coprinellus Sp


--------------------
Tips For A Beginner Mushroom Hunter

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27146775


One Who Hunts Mushrooms Is A Mushroom Hunter. One Who Eats Them Without Knowing What They Are, Is A Dumb Mushroom Hunter. - Seph

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Identify, australian mushrooms. [Re: MpSeph]
    #26849575 -

Coprinellus micaceus, next time please start your own id request  hijacking someone else's thread can lead to accidental poisonings by causing confusion in the thread.


--------------------


Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Edited by Doc9151 (07/28/20 09:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Update on Australian mushroom Identification Zen Peddler 4,701 11 06/15/02 03:48 PM
by ruskifile
* australian mushrooms reu_bent 2,003 4 11/28/11 01:46 PM
by Roxas
* Australian Mushroom Season?!? sounygordna 5,434 5 04/25/03 09:52 AM
by Zen Peddler
* Newbies: How to identify a mushroom.(Edited) Anonymous 16,630 2 11/14/02 12:01 AM
by ToxicMan
* Identifying Giant Mushrooms Chef7 2,255 6 08/06/02 06:45 PM
by mjshroomer
* Identify Ohio Mushrooms *pics* baraka 3,863 4 06/11/02 06:17 AM
by baraka
* help with identifying these mushrooms?!? greenhaze 1,142 2 06/19/02 07:47 PM
by zeronio
* Australian Shroomers
( 1 2 3 all )
MagicRooms 23,600 55 03/06/20 08:03 AM
by Warrk

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,127 topic views. 1 members, 0 guests and 27 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.