Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Bravo! And excellent post, sir! I can only think of a couple small things extra.
A rough location of where you found the mushroom is very helpful. Something like what state, and, if in a state like Colorado, it is also helpful to know the approximate altitude. Another thing is, if the mushroom is on or under a tree, what kind of tree - not the exact kind, but knowing it's an oak or a maple or a pine or a spruce is useful. When collecting, try to get both young and mature specimens, if possible for your photos.
A final tip, for those who are considering eating their finds. Areas near highways, landfills, and mine tailings are often contaminated with heavy metals or other toxins. Mushrooms often concentrate these toxins so that you can receive doses of lead or other unpleasant things you don't want in your body. In other words, don't collect mushrooms you are going to eat from areas where they might be contaminated with external toxins. A few years ago here in Colorado we had a teenage boy spend a couple days in a coma, near death, because he ate a normally nontoxic mushroom from his yard that someone had inexplicably sprayed insect repellant on.