Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineClockwork

Mushroom ID Help Needed
    #333141 - 06/03/01 01:51 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Here are two pictures of two seperate mushroom groups I picked today in Southeast TN. I need some ID help. The spore print of the first picture's mushrooms is dark-purple/black. The second group's was unattainable due to the not fully opened veils on the bottom. Can anyone please positively identify these mushrooms? The first group was picked in a composted area of my yard, the second was found in a slightly composted section of my yard. Both groups were picked within an hour of the end of a day long rain.

--------------------
/|\ It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Von. /|\

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineClockwork

Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: Clockwork]
    #333143 - 06/03/01 01:53 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Second group

--------------------
/|\ It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Von. /|\

OfflineClockwork

#333165 - 06/03/01 02:18 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Here is yet another group, this one looks very similar to the first group in my opinion. These were also found in a composted section of my yard.

--------------------

OfflineClockwork

#333189 - 06/03/01 02:42 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry, but I've had a lucky day looking for mushrooms. I found these 4 growing around in a flower bed with bark mulch. I'm still trying to get a good spore print off of these, but can anyone identify them by looking at this picture? Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #333253 - 06/03/01 03:57 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

The first 3 pics are of Velvety Psathyrella(Psathyrella velutina), they ain't good for much, not the best eatin mushroom out there. I'm not sure bout that last pic, its defiately not an active mushroom though.

Edited by Lizard King on 06/03/01 06:02 PM.

--------------------

OfflineClockwork

Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: Lizard King]
    #333293 - 06/03/01 04:47 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.cx.sakura.ne.jp/~kinoko/phots5_lmn2/mujinatake02.jpg
That is a picture of Psathyrella velutina. I admit they look similar, but I really think they are different mushrooms.
http://www.cx.sakura.ne.jp/~kinoko/phots5_lmn2/mujinatake01.jpg
That is another pic. Again, similar, but I really doubt they are the same. Is there any other possible mushroom instead of Psathyrella velutina that they could be? I could be totally wrong, and I don't doubt that I am, but I really think they aren't Velutinas. I'm not very experienced in mushroom hunting, but could they POSSIBLY be Psilocybe coprophila?
I found more today growing out of a sand and compost mixture. See attached picture.

Edited by Clockwork on 06/03/01 06:52 PM.

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#333365 - 06/03/01 06:27 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I promise you, those are 100% Psathyrella velutina, no doubt about it. I've picked millions of them over the past few years, I know exactly what they lookl ijke. Psilocybe coprophila is way smaller, and is colored different. Its also has a seperable pellicle, not a velvety top. I picked shitload of coprophila this weekend,and I assure you, those are not it. Ps. coprophila is not active anyways.

Here are a few pics of Psaythrella velutina;

--------------------

OfflineClockwork

#333372 - 06/03/01 06:36 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Okay thanks. So I am assuming Psathyrella velutina is completely useless, right? Oh well, I'll look again tomorrow.

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #333394 - 06/03/01 06:53 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Psilocybe coprophila is quite a small mushroom, and btw, is also not at all in any degree or quantity psychoactive at all. i wonder why all these moot shrooms are rumored to be active :P

thou speakest arite
i am the merry wanderer of the night

OfflineClockwork

Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: Mitchnast]
    #333402 - 06/03/01 07:01 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I didn't say they were psychoactive...

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#333495 - 06/03/01 09:29 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

he was just pointing out that they were not active, in case you weren't aware of that. It is published as active in many mushroom guides, and alot of folks aren't aware of this mistake. We'd hate to have you munch down dose of shrooms for nothing.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
    #333508 - 06/03/01 09:44 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

If your after psychedelic mushrooms, they must turn blue!  Don't even bother posting if they don't stain blue - if your wanting to find if they're magic, that is.

If you're just wanting a non Psilocybin mushroom ID, sorry to waste your time with this post. :smile:

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: The_Gnome_King]
    #333575 - 06/03/01 10:55 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

not so, in many cases the bluing reaction is not present in moderately to even extremely potent speceis. take psylocybe semilanceata for example, i often find specimines that dont stain ble. (but they usually do) or with panaeolus subbaltaetus the bluing is usually only found in the white mycelium at the base, but what if one were to pick it a CM up the stem? youre pretty much guarenteed to NOT to see bluing in the specimine then, but you can surely expect a good trip (if you have enough) if youre out only looking for bluing mushrooms, then youre skipping the most common and ubundant types IMHO.

thou speakest arite

OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
    #333601 - 06/03/01 11:26 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

if youre out only looking for bluing mushrooms, then youre skipping the most common and ubundant types IMHO.

I disagree.  In my humble optinion, the most "common" type is Psilocybin Cubensis and I wouldn't eat one that didn't bruise blue, and that goes for any other Psilocybe too.  I've found Golden Tops that didn't bruise blue because they where a bit dry or whatever, but I leave them anyway.  I'm 99.9% sure they are cubes, but that's not 100% sure and you've gotta leave some to procreate anyway :smile:.  The blueing is caused by the chemical Psilocybin reacting to the oxygen in the air (to the best of my knowledge...) therefore if they where fresh and didn't go blue, they wouldn't contain much Psilocybin and wouldn't be very potent anyway.

I have personal experience with neither psylocybe semilanceata nor panaeolus subbaltaetus, therefor am not fully qualified to comment; however, if someone is so inexperienced with psychadelic mushrooms that they need to post pictures of them on The Shroomery bulliten boards in order to identify them, I would strongly recommend they stick to the basics.  In other words, stick to the ones that turn blue!  You will cut down the risk of poisoning yourself by 99%  I don't know of any poisonous mushroom that grows in dung and goes blue.  In fact, I don't know of any mushroom that goes blue, that isn't psychadelic and harmless, full stop.
Note: This certainly doesn't mean they don't exist - I have heard mummerings of such mushrooms existing.  If anyone knows of one, a picture and name would be good...

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#333805 - 06/04/01 05:42 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

well, a bolette isnt a mushroom... but it is a fruiting body SHAPED like a mushroom, it bruises very blue, it can grow in areas where cows graze, and if a cow shit in the right spot at the right time, yes, you would even find this fungus seeming to grow out of dung it can however kill you if you eat it. ive also found the delicious milk cap in pastureland near dung, it also bruises blue, but is not psychoactive, and contrary to the name, it DOESNT taste good.
i know ALOT of people who have come to me with bolettes saying "oh mitch i found a big-ass shroom and it bruised blue like crazy!" then i usualy reply, "ok.. you diddnt eat that poisonous fungus did you?" luckily nobody i know has yet. but at least one person was drying one out for later consumption.
as for youre bluing reaction oppinion, thats all fine and dandy if you live in the tropics or at least near-subtropics where you can find blue copes and cubes. but anywere north of the south states in north america has to know a little more than just blueing. especially east of the rockies. :)

thou speakest arite

OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
    #333846 - 06/04/01 07:15 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

"a bolette isnt a mushroom... "
You said it. One who would mistakingly consume a bolette thinking it's a Psilocybe mushroom has no buisness gathering pychedelic fungi until they educate themselves a bit more.

"and if a cow shit in the right spot at the right time"
:laugh: I'm not even going to grace that with an intelligent reply.  It's quite funny actually.

"would even find this fungus seeming to grow out of dung"
If a cow did did it's work on a bolette it is not going to be seemingly growing out of anything.  It'd be covered in a kilo of cow shit. :laugh:

"...cap in pastureland near dung..."
Near being the key word in this sentace, I gather.  I can't hold this point against you, because it's quite legitimate and interesting. Still, I'm talking about mushrooms that can be easily mistaken for a Psilocybe that grow directly out of dung, not your "delicious milk cap".

"i know ALOT of people who have come to me with bolettes saying..."
I'll bet they're glad to have an informed and intelligent friend like you to point out their errors :smile:. You honestly know "ALOT" of people who mistake bolettes for "big ass shrooms"...?  It would be interesting if you posted a couple of pictures of all the blue bruised "bolettes" and "delicious milk caps" that you have found "seemingly" growing out of cow manure.  If you havn't got any I'm sure someone must have...anyone?

"or at least near-subtropics"
What, like the majority of the people on the planet?

In any case, I'd like to draw your attention to the last sentace in my post, marked red to highlight it.

P.S. I left a tidy verbal whooping for you in the "Horse dung" thread, in case you miss it.

OfflineClockwork

#333913 - 06/04/01 09:20 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

>If your after psychedelic mushrooms, they must turn blue! Don't even bother posting if they don't stain blue - if your wanting to find if they're magic, that is.

Nope. Just wondering what they were since they seem to be everywhere. Thanks for the replies everyone.

It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Von.

--------------------

Offlinedogweazle
chill out [Re: The_Gnome_King]
    #335498 - 06/05/01 07:35 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

take a breather there buddy (gnome)

why waste so much time handing out "verbal ass whoopings"???
i really don't see the need for a bit by bit analysis of everything he said, he was just offereing a different perspective on the matter.

chill out ;)

your like my english teacher!
jk

peace

----------
He called the shit poop!

--------------------
----------
He called the shit poop!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: chill out [Re: dogweazle]
    #335552 - 06/05/01 08:20 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

well i already posted my blueing delicuios milkcap (or cup) found in pastureland near dung. and it just so happens ive found bollettes growing in a large deposit of cow dung compost that was lying sparse allong the edge of some woods. (tho these werent the bluing kind) but just because you think youre soo smart and for some reason you think im a good dull wetstone for your sharp wits ill re-post the bluing reaction i mentioned. and youre making a pretty broad assumption that people who dont know bollettes arent mushrooms dont pick mushrooms anyway, because as ive proven and as youve pointlessly ignored with your banter and self-inflating rhetoric. people pick them anyway. go ahead and argue that youre smart and that other people are dumb and dont deserve your intelligent responses. if you need that kind of attention, then you are indeed a sad little man.

sorry i havent got any bollette pics, tho i think GGreatone may have some, ask him if youre so interested. as for the milk cap, i havent got time to post it tonight, i have 5 minutes before work and its all stored on a zip disk that isnt even hooked up right now.
seriosly tho, i cant immagine why you came on here like a rude little prick over something like this. you think its funny a cow would shit in a certain spot? its not strage, cows shit evry 2 square feet of pasture space where im from. calling me a lair? want proof? eat me. or come on and anylyze me again like an obsessive compulsive. oops, late for work. bye.

thou speakest arite

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: chill out [Re: Mitchnast]
    #335579 - 06/05/01 08:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

..Maybe, the Gnome King is a mushroom hunting troll, in disquise as a Gnome.

My guess, is that this is either a completly irrate shroomer, or it is 21pounds ofshrooms with a completely new and refined persona.

OfflineSlapnutz
Loc: Talahasse Florida
    #335623 - 06/05/01 09:33 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

hey gnome king, you were wrong so just admit it. but no you have to justify youre being wrong by trying to prove one of the smartest people on the board wrong. and failing miserably at it too.

stick it bitch- tripinco
my friends call me the walking drug encyclopedia- tripinco
tripinco is gay- slapnutz

--------------------
---Slapnutz List of Idiots---
Tripinco
Drunkgoat

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: chill out [Re: Mitchnast]
    #335671 - 06/05/01 10:29 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

This is Gnome King, I changed my alias

Yeah, yeah, I can take that. I did have a stupid knee-jerk tantrum, my fault, sorry Mitchnast, I'll keep chilled in future.

Just in case you're curious, I was annoyed that you accused me of all these things (trying to be smart, stating opinions as facts etc.) when I went right out of my way to do the opposite! As can be seen by the big, red note at the bottom of my post ensuring that I could very well be wrong, and it's all just my opinion. It's very annoying to go to such measures to be credible and honest just to have some one reply saying "your stating your opinions as facts" or whatever cause they didn't read it properly or misunderstood. I hope you can see my point of view. Anyway, it was your other reply that pissed me off more. If it was a one of thing, OK, but you did it twice in five minutes.

Still, it's no excuse to spit the dummy, I know. I Will be nice shroomer, not an angry shroomer from now on. I'm at fault here so sorry.

Give me a woman that loves beer and I could conquer the world

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: Slapnutz]
    #335679 - 06/05/01 10:35 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Mind your own buisness, shit-for-brains and actually have a read of what I wrote before you open your big dumb bong hole in future...uh...I mean thankyou Oh wise and worthy replier, I am forever indebted to have been exposed to your pearls of wisdom.

Damn, I've done it again:smile:

I'm just fucking around, by the way.

Give me a woman that loves beer and I could conquer the world

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #336007 - 06/06/01 08:54 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the confedance guys, but im not any "smarter" than anybody else. im just a guy who makes mistakes and stuff too. just ask me about women! :P
right now im sorta jelous that y'all got so many pan subbs. im pretty sure i found em first this year and posted them a while back, but even so, all i found was a handfull, last year i was picking more than 2 lbs a week when condidtions were right.
im gonna see if ketch wants to go picking later and we will check out my most hopefull patches, all this rain and humidity ought to have done something. but i gotta tell you, it pleases me so much that after all my bitching people are really starting to pay attention to pan subbs. As i said... why the hell not? they are common like weeds and as potent as you need. i can sit down with a bookbag full and a few friends and some stanky buds (that i can get in exchange for extra shrooms) and have a nice trip where we all talk about the astral plane and the 3-d grid that we just noticed encompasing evrything. and lets not forget the wild visuals. oh baby! and any little thing is so funny you could die laughing. *sigh* i gotta get me some soon! i miss em!

thou speakest arite

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #336102 - 06/06/01 10:55 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

You're so humble, Mitch.
Maybe the Gnome guy needs to know that bluing is a very good sign in Psilocybian candidates, but actually, many potent species have little or absolutely no bluing at all.
Psilocybe semilanceata IS an example. In Nova Scotia, where you live, the liberty caps seem to blue commonly. In the PNW of the U.S., it's actually rare. Also, Ps. semilanceata is significantly more potent than Ps. cubensis by weight.
Also, Gnome King has no business telling people what they can and cannot post. People need help identifying mushrooms, and this is probably the very best place available.
And Gnome King, why did you come here and put Mitch down like that? He IS experienced and from what I gather, you've only got experience with Ps. cubensis and only Ps. cubensis that bruise blue. If you cannot identify a Ps. cubensis based on the fact that is hasn't blued, then you have no business coming here acting like others are ignorant and you know it all! Mitch knows what he's talking about!
Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflinePositiveVibe

#18088056 - 04/10/13 04:39 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Can you help me identify some mushrooms i found? the pictures are found in my favorites!

OfflineParkHunter
Human
Male User Gallery
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: Levi7]
    #24931165 - 01/21/18 11:05 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I am new to mycology so let me give me opinion. I think most people starting to get into mushroom hunting know the basics. Blue=magic. Most beginners can use simple online tools and find the most basic identification tools and get down to the species. Where we will need the most help identifying mushrooms is when it is not so obvious that they are psychedelic but they look like they could be.

--------------------
-Jumping into mycology in a canonball position.

Invisiblemajicman30
naturejunkie
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: ParkHunter]
    #24931841 - 01/21/18 04:36 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ParkHunter said:
I am new to mycology so let me give me opinion. I think most people starting to get into mushroom hunting know the basics. Blue=magic. Most beginners can use simple online tools and find the most basic identification tools and get down to the species. Where we will need the most help identifying mushrooms is when it is not so obvious that they are psychedelic but they look like they could be.

Yep, Yep you are correct & good job at resurrecting the dead!(Man this thread is almost half my age!!! Peace & Love

--------------------
[/url][url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/16-12/893004217-IMG_4581.

OfflineParkHunter
Human
Male User Gallery
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: majicman30]
    #24932153 - 01/21/18 06:57 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I see that, now. Like I said I’m new here. I swear I was searching active threads.

--------------------
-Jumping into mycology in a canonball position.

Invisiblemajicman30
naturejunkie
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID Help Needed [Re: ParkHunter]
    #24933222 - 01/22/18 08:27 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ParkHunter said:
I see that, now. Like I said I’m new here. I swear I was searching active threads.

Ahh it's cool I do the same thing from time to time. Welcome to the community. Peace & Love

--------------------
[/url][url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/16-12/893004217-IMG_4581.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate