Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Computers and Mushrooms
    #978245 - 10/20/02 09:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

OK, this is a multi-topic post, but seeing as how most of it will deal with growing, I'm posting it in Cultivation.

First, my computer shit out today as I was formatting my HDD. So here I am on my old Dell, with nothing installed but Windows and Office. So all day I am feeling shitty, when then...

I go upstairs, wipe the dust and sweat off my brow. I try not to look at my cakes every day, because that seems to slow the growth. But I figure, hey, I've been working my ass off all day poking around in a circuit filled annoyance, so I deserve to look at my babies.

First, I look at my twelve 1 pint B+ jars. The four that are filled with Alien Substrate are doing well. In fact, quite well. The mycelium goes from the bottom to the top after only four days. Then, I look at my four birdseed jars. Suprise, suprise, nothing's alive. Finally, I look at my four rye jars. Holy fucking shit. These things are almost fully colonized after four days. Not only that, but the mycelium has grown on top of itself, changed a one and a half inch gap between the rye and jar lid to a half inch one. That right there made my day.

After putting my jars away, I decide it's time for the big treat. I take a peak at my tray of Mushroom Compost and GT mycelium. Well I now have enough mycelium for the making of two or three days. Just yesterday I put some thin slices of colonized BRF in the tray, probably not even adding up to a colonized cake all together. My compost tray now looks like a black man who takes more skin off than hair when shaving (no offense to anyone who is black).

So it seems, Mushroom Compost works just dandy and incubation works wonders. My only problem is this: I will be leaving to go deer hunting next Wednesday for a week.

My plan is to put all my trays in a clear tub. They will be suspended above the bottom with a plastic shelf I've made, and I will put about an inch or two of water at the bottom. I will then cover the top with plastic wrap, two sheets leaving about a one inch gap in the middle for circulation. Depending on the amount of room I have, I might put my aqarium heater in a smaller sealed tub, fully submerged and place that on the shelf too. If anyone has any suggestions, by all means post them. I would be very grateful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Computers and Mushrooms [Re: Anonymous]
    #978503 - 10/20/02 11:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

First off, congrats for all your growth, don't give up on the birdseed, good things come to those who wait, by the way, how long has it been since you innoculated your jars?
Is the setup you describe an incubation chamber, or a fruiting chamber? If its an incubation chamber, why the standing water in the bottom? If its a fruiting chamber why the standing water in the bottom? In case you didn't notice the pattern why are you gonna use standing water, it seems like it could lead to contams more easily than say damp perlite.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ�...
Re: Computers and Mushrooms [Re: Skikid16]
    #978537 - 10/21/02 12:19 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I do think he's refering to the Compost Trey.

I'm gonna have to agree with Skikid you should use perlite not standing water as it harbours contams.
Anyway sounds good, but you might wanna try to harvest just before your trip, as to try and avoid overmaturity.
It would be nice to come home to some perfect specimens if you get the timing right. But a week sounds good, if you harvest just before you leave.
Good Luck :grin: 

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

Edited by TeKn0 (10/21/02 12:22 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Computers and Mushrooms [Re: TeKn0]
    #979168 - 10/21/02 06:28 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you both for your replies. To clarify what my chamber will look like, I drew a little picture. From what you guys said, I should replace the bottom water with perlite. My question is, will the perlite hold enough water on its own to last a week?

And I will be picking all the mushrooms I can before the trip, but I'm guessing many will come during it as well.

InvisibleBoomin
Trippen
Loc: Earth usually
    #979332 - 10/21/02 07:59 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Perlite will hold water for months.

Offlinemagma
student
Loc: Somewhere Unpleasant
    #980187 - 10/21/02 03:18 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

One problem though, your shroomies are gonna need some oxygen, or it will go anerobic on you. Not good. Sound like you are good with computers. Maybe take an old power supply and case fan and hook em up to a timer. Remember to put a filter in front of the fan, the in side, and maybe a hole on the other side of your box covered with a filter. Good luck.

--------------------
An instant later, I was crawled up on my bed (in the fetal position) with my eyes closed, squirming around, screaming (in my head) 'Fuck! You killed yourself!' ...
-Sasha Shulgin - TiHKAL #38

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate