Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

A basic question about air exchange
    #970202 - 10/17/02 08:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I know this is a really basic question, sorry ahead of time. Did a search but it didn't really turn up the answer I was looking for. Anyways, here goes: Are there any signs that one can look for to see if air exchange is too low?? Reason is, a friend just built a new terrarium, one of those shelf systems w. the zip up vinyl. Temps and humidity are great, he just wants to make sure air exchange is good. So what would be an indicator, no growth, few mushies?? Any tips?? Thanks in advance, u guys are always so helpful!!!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: A basic question about air exchange [Re: Visigoth]
    #970279 - 10/17/02 08:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i wouldn't say thats a basic question....im not sure if there is any way to measure it. what is your friend doing?? casing or cakes?

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: A basic question about air exchange [Re: MsPacMan]
    #970289 - 10/17/02 08:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Casing, he's knows there are things to look for that show humidity is not right, like mycelium on the stalks, little fluffy pieces on the caps, abhorts, stuff like that. So he was just wondering if there were any signs like that for air exchange. Because if things end up not working out w. the new terrarium, he is going to have to troubleshoot and figure out what's wrong in order to fix it.

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #970838 - 10/18/02 12:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

One thing that I've experienced, too little air exchange = many abhorts. Oh yeah, if not given enough air exchange, a casing or cake has a higher chance for contamination.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #970953 - 10/18/02 12:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

IMHO, IF you get nice strong even rizo growth sticking up out of the casing surface? Like it is saying a happy HELLO, to the world. Everything is about perfect.

You can regulate your humidity system to make air exchanges. Just tinker with it, until your a happy camper. You will know, by the silly grins you get on your face, because everything is colonizing, pinning & growing almost perfectly. :laugh: :grin: :tongue:

A word to the wise is that in any large enclosed system. Shit accumulates over time. That you cannot see. But sure as a raccoon loves to steal cat food off a neighbors back portch, late at night - :smile:- it is there.

After a good run of growing. It is wise to empty it out, flush the whole system, clean out the humidifier, pipes (if any) & swab the racks & inside of it down with a mild disinfectant. Then go for it, again.

6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation