Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Impulse Sealer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

a thought regarding drying....
    #956528 - 10/13/02 08:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I remember reading that the active looses it's potency / degrades more from oxidative damage then anything else... heat and oxygen combined can be destructive to anything organic. soooo, i was thinking maybe it would make sense to dry and store mushrooms in an inert enviorment... nitrogen would be the perfect gas to use for this purpose.... it is cheap and extremely effective at completely stopping the oxidative damage... this could easilly help preserve the potency of ur favorite project.. again being new, i'm just throwing an idea out there... i have not been able to find anything written on the subject... i encourage feedback... peace

Anni

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: a thought regarding drying.... [Re: Anonymous]
    #956612 - 10/13/02 10:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the more i had the chance to think about this, the more i?m convinced this will work...  :shocked:

Anni 

Anonymous

#956642 - 10/13/02 11:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think this should be in advanced cultivation. You will most likey get better answers from more experienced growers.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #957241 - 10/13/02 05:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In part it would depend on the weight amount you intend to dry. Fan drying a few oz is quick & simple, then pop them in a desicant chamber (like a 1 gallon jar with a desicant - inside), then after that, vaccum seal them in an autoclave bag, then store in the fridge or freezer.

There is very little loss or potency & they store well, for months.

When you get to larger weights you intend to dry all at once.

You have to remove much more moisture. How are you going to do that without fanning to dehydrate the bulk of the moisture out?

To get them cracker dry & crunchy is problematical.

The raccoon is tinkering with vaccum drying. But, it is a little tricky.  If you have the means,  a high vaccum chamber & pump. You will find that a strong  vaccum does remove the moisture & they retain their shape & size - well.

However, when you open the container, much of the moisture in the vaccum re-enters them. Just like a rubber band snapping into its original shape.

The raccoon is finding that if you have a GOOD vaccum pump w/gauges. You can place them under about 75% of the pumps vaccum capacity, for 24 hours.

Then, after 24 hours, increase the vacccum to about 90% of the pumps capacity. This purges moisture out of the vaccum chamber.

Then wait another 24 hours & increase the chamber to 100% of the pumps capacity to purge out that much more moisture.

You will find that a vaccum pump & chamber cabable of this sort of tinkering is not cheap.

Tinker, tinker, tinker.  :wink:

6T :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: a thought regarding drying.... [Re: SixTango]
    #957514 - 10/13/02 07:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You seems to be telling him how to dry them, 6T, but he was asking about storing already dried shrooms in an oxygen-free environment to prevent the breakdown of the active compounds. While I'm not sure about nitorgen, there was once/is a tek describing using a certain type of refrigerant gas. Many plastics still allow a certain amount to oxygen molecules through them. The refrigerant gas, such as the gas in many computer duster cans can be used. The process involved storing the dried shrooms is a ziplock filled with the duster gas. This gas's molecules cannot pass through the plastic at all, therefore preventing any oxygen molecules from entering the bad which could oxidize and destroy any active compounds (psilocybin and psilocin) they come into contact with. Hope this helps.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #957542 - 10/13/02 07:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Dry ice produces c02... c02 is heavier than air, its easy to pour some c02 into a jar filled with shrooms then freeze it......

[hyp]

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: a thought regarding drying.... [Re: StS]
    #957555 - 10/13/02 07:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry. The Jack & coke must have fogged my mind, when I read his post.

If you use a high quality autoclave bag, vaccum the air out, seal with an impulse sealer. They will store in a freezer for longer than I would want to keep them. :grin:

6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Anonymous

Re: a thought regarding drying.... [Re: SixTango]
    #957836 - 10/13/02 09:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

dry nitrogen could be used to break a deep vacuum and ur friend could just pull the deepest vaccum the equiptment was capable of isolate the the gauges, connect to a nitrogen cylinder and equalize chamber pressure.

thanks again for the feedback... i'm allowing what little i know get the best of me and am posting when i clearly need to read the faq's completely as instructed when i joined... i'l be on the sidelines... peace

Anni

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Impulse Sealer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation